PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Winter break the future???
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Winter break the future???  (Read 10033 times)

RocketDan

Re: Winter break the future???
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 01:21:10 AM »

Very mild today. 10 Celsius in most parts. Much warmer than the past two weeks.

Was this one of the days you wanted to be football free?

bighairedmike

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 04:19:32 AM »

Well to be honest the attendance figures speak volumes, its not working, empty stands mean more club debts.

So you move fixture to the summer when people are more likely to be away?  You scrap the boxing day fixtures that if planned correctly can attract bumper gates?

I am no traditionalist believe me, but footy is a WINTER game.  Start fannying around with that and you'll be changing the character of the game.  As I said before when you can predict the weather 6 - 9 months ahead you come back and tell me and the Met Office all about it yeah.  cheers.
come on people go away in the winter to thats not relevant, i know it would be hard to implecate a full scale fixture change at first it may be gradual, and games of football cant be played in frosty wintery conditions without undersoil heating so like i said its not really a winter sport at our level is it?

And at the end of the day this is something that they are looking at changing so its not just me.

Empty seats all around old trafford u cant tell me that would happen in may

People go away in winter, true, but many more people go away in summer. That's a well known fact. You can't tel me.more people would go away at Christmas than in the summer holidays.

And again, another nonsense argument. 10 days before Christmas people can't afford/don't have the time for a football game with so much to do and/or the chance of overtime meaning more money over an expensive time of year. In may United are normally either about to win or are neat enough to winning the league that the games are more desirable so more people turn up.

Flawed arguments jacko.

Jimmy

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 07:24:53 AM »

I think at our level were pitches are not always the best would be to start the season 2 weeks early and perhaps have 2 maybe 3 more midweek games before Christmas than a break

whopper

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2012, 10:15:34 AM »

Well to be honest the attendance figures speak volumes, its not working, empty stands mean more club debts.

So you move fixture to the summer when people are more likely to be away?  You scrap the boxing day fixtures that if planned correctly can attract bumper gates?

I am no traditionalist believe me, but footy is a WINTER game.  Start fannying around with that and you'll be changing the character of the game.  As I said before when you can predict the weather 6 - 9 months ahead you come back and tell me and the Met Office all about it yeah.  cheers.
come on people go away in the winter to thats not relevant, i know it would be hard to implecate a full scale fixture change at first it may be gradual, and games of football cant be played in frosty wintery conditions without undersoil heating so like i said its not really a winter sport at our level is it?

And at the end of the day this is something that they are looking at changing so its not just me.

People go away in winter, true, but many more people go away in summer. That's a well known fact. You can't tel me.more people would go away at Christmas than in the summer holidays.

And again, another nonsense argument. 10 days before Christmas people can't afford/don't have the time for a football game with so much to do and/or the chance of overtime meaning more money over an expensive time of year. In may United are normally either about to win or are neat enough to winning the league that the games are more desirable so more people turn up.

Flawed arguments jacko.
you've proved me right so how can it be a floored argument? More people would go to watch in may full stop.

whopper

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2012, 10:19:56 AM »

I think at our level were pitches are not always the best would be to start the season 2 weeks early and perhaps have 2 maybe 3 more midweek games before Christmas than a break
jthis seems sensible enough, it baffles me if football is a winter sport why is it played in the summer olympics?

whopper

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2012, 10:31:38 AM »

Very mild today. 10 Celsius in most parts. Much warmer than the past two weeks.

Was this one of the days you wanted to be football free?
fair enough i see your point, but its clear that there seems to be a differance between football league fixtures holding up and non league holding up ie halifax.

bighairedmike

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2012, 12:14:01 PM »

Flawed arguments jacko.
you've proved me right so how can it be a floored argument? More people would go to watch in may full stop.

That's economic factors and has nothing to do with a winter break. Also, using OT as a guidestick for our level is unrealistic.
jthis seems sensible enough, it baffles me if football is a winter sport why is it played in the summer olympics?

Because it fits in with all other countries football seasons so they don't have to have an enforced winter break. Its the same reason that world cups and euros are held in the summer and not the winter.

Jimmy

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »

I ment at lower levels like ours not football at a higher level

bighairedmike

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2012, 12:34:38 PM »

I ment at lower levels like ours not football at a higher level

My quoting was actually in reply to jacko, not you jimmy. I agree with what you suggested to be honest. Isn't that what the spl have tried to do in the last couple of seasons?

Jimmy

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2012, 12:36:43 PM »

Sorry warren I think so the scottish start first Saturday in August
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:48:32 PM by Jimmy »

whopper

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »

Its a shame that stadiums are half full this time of year, but they are and one way or another something should be done, as some clubs are budgeting for much higher attendances.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »

Its a shame that stadiums are half full this time of year, but they are and one way or another something should be done, as some clubs are budgeting for much higher attendances.
sadly when money is tight something has to give
ParkINson's red and white army

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2012, 03:41:06 PM »

If there was no football Boxing Day or NYD Christmas would be more unbearable than it is now.
Full time and proud of it

York Alty

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2012, 05:40:59 PM »

If there was no football Boxing Day or NYD Christmas would be more unbearable than it is now.

spot on.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Winter break the future???