PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Guiseley MATCH DAY UPDATE THREAD
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Guiseley MATCH DAY UPDATE THREAD  (Read 21031 times)

bighairedmike

Re: Guiseley MATCH DAY UPDATE THREAD
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »

Have to disagree about the pen being soft.  That was pen all day, every day. Ludicrous bit of keeping form a bloke who was top drawer for 89 minutes.  The ball was going out of play, away from goal but the penalty was correct.  He won't do that again for the rest of his career.  How old is he by the way?

Mid 20's I think. If its the same bloke I'm thinking of he used to be at Morecambe. (Football manager knowledge coming in handy here... :D )

York Alty

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2013, 12:04:23 PM »

Honestly, the only time i heard the home fans was when we were passing them at the end - it was as if they were trying to remind us they were there.

There was one wee little chant midway through the second half, but apart form that their vocal support was non-existent.  

If their manager wants to live in his own deluded world feel free, but that ain't going to make any more noise from Guiseley. What he should have said was "hear that noise from the Alty fans yeah. Our players deserve that.  Get vocal, get involved, get behind the team.  You can be the extra man in the play offs.  It's now."  All he's done is say to his fans you're great - so they'll carry on being 'great'...i.e. sh*t.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:39:36 PM by York Alty »

bumble

« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2013, 12:32:34 PM »

Unbeaten away Guiseley Harrogate Halifax Gainsbourgh and Brackley

Battered them first half hour, they scored (very alty) - then we lost Simons (so no clee boshall richman or watmore) and we just kept going

Shame we coukdnt take all 3 points, but this time last week Id have been delighted with 4 from the two games.

My target before Chester Halifax and Guiselet was to be in touching distances of 5h. We are 5tg with a point iver harrogate and 6 over bpa.

As for Guiseleys manager comment, their captain even said at half time going down the tunnel to a steward (whod aksed him how it was going) good but itd be nice to hear if we had any home fans...

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2013, 12:42:33 PM »

I believe Guiseley held a pre-arranged 90 minutes silence in respect for a recently departed politician
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Hamilton

« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2013, 01:15:38 PM »

I believe Guiseley held a pre-arranged 90 minutes silence in respect for a recently departed politician
:D

Guiseley fan

« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2013, 04:00:43 PM »

;D Think you are right to be honest ive supported Guiseley for a lot of years and you would think we were playing behind close doors some home matches you can be proud of your support last night in full lvoice

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2013, 04:32:08 PM »

As with a number of situations this season, people are getting angry on here about stuff that they presume does/doesn't happen and is wrong.  

We were told last night that penalties have been practised and Ryan Brooke never misses apparently so was the obvious candidate to take the pen last night rather than the strange choice. Training is obviously different to matches (and God knows who takes the next one!) but it can't be discounted.

OK...but just who would have taken a penalty had we been awarded one in the first 42 minutes of the opening half i.e. when Brooke wasn't even on the pitch?

His penalty was ultimately predictably feeble, alas.

Deserved a point.....but a chance of two bonus points squandered.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

markecky

« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2013, 04:34:02 PM »

As with a number of situations this season, people are getting angry on here about stuff that they presume does/doesn't happen and is wrong.  

We were told last night that penalties have been practised and Ryan Brooke never misses apparently so was the obvious candidate to take the pen last night rather than the strange choice. Training is obviously different to matches (and God knows who takes the next one!) but it can't be discounted.

OK...but just who would have taken a penalty had we been awarded one in the first 42 minutes of the opening half i.e. when Brooke wasn't even on the pitch?

I have no idea, was just trying to share some knowledge i heard on the coach that the choice wasn't totally random.

It's certainly a worrying issue.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:42:55 PM by markecky »

Jimmy

« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2013, 05:03:43 PM »

He probably took the pen because he is the only player to take a pen not to miss one all be it against a 5foot outfield player

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2013, 05:30:21 PM »

James Lawrie looks a likley candidate to me.
Full time and proud of it

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2013, 05:38:44 PM »

Agree with a text I received from Ballers this morning. Any player can miss a pen and our pens should still be taken by either Doughty or Densmore who have both done well in the past as a general rule.
Come on Alty!

Jimmy

« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »

Fair point that

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2013, 06:28:16 PM »

Agree with a text I received from Ballers this morning. Any player can miss a pen and our pens should still be taken by either Doughty or Densmore who have both done well in the past as a general rule.

I confess that I was a little surprised that neither of those two players pulled rank on Brooke last night and assumed responsibility for what was a rather important penalty with a degree of pressure riding on it.

However, I suppose that if Brooke was, indeed, the designated penalty taker and everyone else was happy with that, then they couldn't overrule and just had to let things unfold as they did.

I'm not an admirer of Brooke as a footballer by any means but fair play to him for shouldering the responsibility of taking that spot kick.

I was never convinced that he would score though...!

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »

I have no idea, was just trying to share some knowledge i heard on the coach that the choice wasn't totally random.

It's certainly a worrying issue.

Ecky,

I was fed a similar story by an Alty club representative as we were departing from Guiseley last evening.

He even claimed that Brooke had taken Alty's "best penalty" of the season to date.

In the frustration of seeing us squander the opportunity to collect all three points, my pointed response was that there is a vast difference between taking a penalty when you are 5-0 up at home against Hinckley (and they have an outfield player in goal who makes Chris Senior look like John McAliskey) and facing a late spot kick at Guiseley when you are chasing a play-off position.

Oddly, I think that if we had never been awarded that penalty and the match had just proceeded to finish in a 1-1 draw, I would probably have been feeling quite content at the end rather than relatively crestfallen!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:47:13 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2013, 07:16:37 PM »

In the immediate aftermath I was hugely disappointed, but in the cold light of day it was a decent result.
Come on Alty!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Guiseley MATCH DAY UPDATE THREAD