Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Will alty ever move up into bigger leagues?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Will alty ever move up into bigger leagues?  (Read 9456 times)

Altyarethekings

« on: March 31, 2007, 10:40:05 AM »

Altrincham always have been fighting for survival but the big question is will Alty ever move on from the conference,with a couple of big signings i think that we could get up that table next year!

bighairedmike

Re: Will alty ever move up into bigger leagues?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 10:41:43 AM »

big signings need money. where we gunna get that from???

300th post

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 11:00:31 AM »

I know this stating the obvious but:-

(i) We are in 'a bigger league' - 3 years ago we were mid table Unibond don't forget.
(ii) In our 'glory days' (78-87) we were considered as being in the top 2 or 3 semi pro clubs in the country. It is to the enduring credit of all at the club that we have regained that status.
(iii) The pursuit of League football for its own sake should not be on our agenda. If we can consolidate our position in the Conference (starting today) whilst running our affairs as we have done in the recent past it will be as great an achievement as any in the clubs history.
(iv) Lets stick with the current plan and see where we end up eh?

lukealty12

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 11:40:22 AM »

always a possibility but lets concentrate on satying in this league first.

Butty

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 12:20:40 PM »

i reckon a strong end to our season could give the lads a boost into next season. That could give us a top half spot and may even inspire us in 2 years to start pushing for a promotion spot through the playoffs.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 12:44:01 PM »

If we can get Justin Bowler firing on all cylinders next season and appoint Dave Pace as Director of Football, then Alty's march to the Champions League will be simply unstoppable.

In the meantime, I'll settle for reaching 53 points in the Conference ASAP... 
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

bighairedmike

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 12:45:30 PM »

i know we've gon over this but do yu still think 53 is safety?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 12:47:25 PM »

Definitely.
Other teams below us will take points off eachother.
53% might only see us 5th bottom though - but at this point in time, I'd settle for that! ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 01:40:25 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

bighairedmike

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 12:54:37 PM »

i think and hope (only because its one less relegation place to worry about) that southport are out of it, and face (almost) certain relegation. i think i misphrased my question. i meant do you not think 50 could be safety? i think 53 definately is but what do yu think the least is?

hope that makes sense.  :)

fgrfan

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 01:35:06 PM »

easy - go pro.

i know when u look at fgr this season being pro and all it doesn't look in terms of league position that it has helped but it has. jim  harvey has during the season since he took over built a squad that will definetly possibily be up with the lower play off positions next season. we wouldn't be able to sign big names such as danny carey-bertram, simon clist, paul wanless before. the problem is you need a bit of money and big sponsorship and backers and i don't know whether you have it at altrincham.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 01:42:33 PM »

easy - go pro. i know when u look at fgr this season being pro and all it doesn't look in terms of league position that it has helped but it has. jim  harvey has during the season since he took over built a squad that will definetly possibily be up with the lower play off positions next season. we wouldn't be able to sign big names such as danny carey-bertram, simon clist, paul wanless before. the problem is you need a bit of money and big sponsorship and backers and i don't know whether you have it at altrincham.

I think where you've got it over us is that you're a lot of cheating, whinging f**kers who keep getting away with it.

We run the club on a shoe string on larger gates than you yet you seem to find the money for full time from "somewhere"  ???
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 01:44:42 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 01:51:02 PM »

easy - go pro.

i know when u look at fgr this season being pro and all it doesn't look in terms of league position that it has helped but it has. jim  harvey has during the season since he took over built a squad that will definetly possibily be up with the lower play off positions next season. we wouldn't be able to sign big names such as danny carey-bertram, simon clist, paul wanless before. the problem is you need a bit of money and big sponsorship and backers and i don't know whether you have it at altrincham.
we don't want that!

'Big' backers pull out when thigs aren't going the right way and money is not being made, do you seriously think DCB is affordable on your crowd figures do you seriously think you have the money? what were your end of year books like? if they are anything like the rest of the pro clubs with crowds of 1200 thee red  vrey vrey red. i'd rather wait till the rest of the clubs realise full time in this league is a joke and join us part timmers again and go up then, do it the old way where part of the brilliance of being promoted for the players was spending a year (or more)as a full time footballer signing that contract and turning up @ work on a monday morning only to realise you are going to play football for a living, as it is now dropping out of the football league for many players is not a worry they will still get paid play full time and its the club who will suffer when books don't balance like they used to.

all in all as has been said time and time before part-time is the way forward not full-time oh and on another noteto be 'proffesional' means the job gets done well and its done within the correct financial constraints, ask  lancaster fans if it worked for tham, or horchurch, or canvey, or weymouth, or (add as appropriate, i cant be arsed)

Altysmiffy

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 01:51:53 PM »

I too think 53 points will be needed. Thats 1 point per match! Gettable

As far as a big signing or 2; we would need somone to put in some money or sponsorship for an expensive signing (i.e. Get a commercial concern to pay his wages). However, if we have 1 or 2 on more money than the rest, might 1 or 2 of the rest become resentful?

fgrfan

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »

we achieve bigger crowds than you and were just a village. we have backers that are fully commited to the club - trevor horsley has taken this club from being the awful decision of turning us in to stroud fc to the conference and where we are now. we have a devoted board and a devoted manager. why would huge only in it for the money backers want to get in to fgr? are you allowed in the football league if ur not professional?

fgrfan

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 02:00:36 PM »

BY THE WAY WE GET THE MONEY FOR THE PLAYERS IS BECAUSE WE HAVE A DEVOTED GROUP OF FANS THAT HAVE SET UP THE "GRASS" FUND. we raised £8000 in the january transfer window and were able to get Danny Carey Bertram. So it was the supporters that raised the money in a fantastic effort which we all gave some money to and full marks to the supporters at FGR for doing so
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team