News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tony Sanders Tribute

Author Topic: Tony Sanders Tribute  (Read 2139 times)

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

Tony Sanders Tribute
« on: May 17, 2013, 08:42:39 AM »

Had a brill evening at Moss Lane Altrincham last night. Tribute for ex Alty Manager Tony Sanders. 5 true legends.. Tony Sanders, who put together the best non league squad in history back in 1977. FA Cup Giant killers; FA Trophy Winners 1978, Winners of the Conference 1979/80 and 1980/81.

In reply to the question.. "what was the highlight at Alty?" John King couldn't pick out a single match or event.. just told us how that all his time at Alty was so special, "the best part of his life! Not just a team of winners a whole football club of winners from the board to the fans!" John, you sentimental old sod!

Jeff Johnson, scorer of goals at Wembley and White Hart Lane; John Rodgers best header of the ball ever to play for Alty, scorer at Wembley; Graham Heathcote with 40 years service at Alty and the best free kick taker. Scorer at Anfield 1981; the mighty John King, skipper, scorer at Wembley, finest captain ever... and Zigger Zagger fan, Ken Palin, an amazing supporter who I'm honoured to call my friend. Loads of other members of that fantastic Alty family including Dave Baldwin. George Heslop, David Thorpe, Ian and Campbell . So good to be amongst friends and reliving what we achieved.

Alty 'til I die!

Photos on FB here  https://www.facebook.com/nicholas.seller

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Tony Sanders Tribute
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 04:08:39 PM »

Many thanks to all those who organised that Tony Sanders tribute evening.

Congratulations to Brian Flynn on his compere work (under frequently trying circumstances!).

It was good to see the unassuming figure of Tony Sanders receive some overdue recognition for his marvellous achievements during his tenure at Moss Lane.

That image of Kingy and JR inside a pantomime horse outfit at Droylsden will live long in the mind....

P.S. Nick, I don't touch Facebook!
Any chance that you could upload some of your photographs from last evening onto this Forum?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

Re: Tony Sanders Tribute
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:07:51 PM »

Cult, have trouble loading them happy to email if you message me and address
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tony Sanders Tribute