PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty website revamp
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Alty website revamp  (Read 23444 times)

dopamine

Re: Alty website revamp
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »

As a suggestion: if navigating the site is frustrating you, just bookmark http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/news.htm (and the other pages you always check) and use that rather than going to the homepage? That makes it a 1 click job as before to get to what you want and once you're on the page, the format is essentially the same as before...

Mount Street Alty

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2013, 03:13:38 PM »

Thanks for this, I find these responses more helpful than abuse from spotty teenagers

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2013, 05:04:54 PM »

The number one issue from my point of view is the lack of thought put into mobile users. We are a mobile user orientated generation now. My main site averages 4000 views per month, of which about 25% are either phone or tablet visitors.

Lets assume, since I don't have access to the analytic's for the club site that it is the same. We've written off 25% of visitors. Not a good thing by any stretch of the imagination.

There are solutions out there for the navigation. http://responsivenavigation.net/ gives some easily implementable ideas. while keeping the new design.

It's all good and well bookmarking the link but on a 320 pixel wide screen space is at a premium. The two side bars are taking up unecessary space which is not needed, or could be better placed on a mobile version.

Another issue which the new site holds is the small viewport. This is a screenshot of my monitor:

Look how much of the screen is wasted. I do have a high resolution that is true but look how much information (and that's the most important thing about this site, information) we could be viewing. The old site was fine for this.

The design is miles better aesthetically from the old site. The old site had a massive header with absolutely no relavent information before the fold (the bit you see on your screen without scrolling) however it was set to 100% width which is why it suited for not only large screens but small screens as well.

I love our sites content. It is the number one source for non league news, not just Altrincham FC news. We just need to put some usability thinking into the site. When we are making such massive strides off the pitch with the community program, increasing local awareness, big new sponsorship deals, the excellent media coverage we provide from the alty TV & Radio robins teams we need to be making sure we don't fail to provide the best experience on what is often the first point of contact for people looking for information about Altrincham FC.

joe

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2013, 07:03:50 PM »

Thanks for this, I find these responses more helpful than abuse from spotty teenagers

Well said MSA!

Mount Street Alty

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2013, 07:31:11 PM »

What annoys me are the people who don't like it but don't say anything about it, which some may call the happy clappers brigade

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2013, 08:45:31 PM »

What annoys me are the people who don't like it but don't say anything about it, which some may call the happy clappers brigade

And others may call polite?

Mount Street Alty

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2013, 09:14:47 PM »

Only fools and horses

markecky

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2013, 10:14:16 PM »

I wouldn't let such things annoy you.  You've made your feelings pretty clear on it I think.

It's a work in progress and people don't like change.

How many times have facebook changed the way things are shown and there has been campaigns to change it back to how it was and people swearing to never use it again.  In a month no one remembers what it was like previously

It needs to be fixed for mobiles phones (and made wider as Longsden has said) but it is still does the job, all be in in a round about way at the moment certainly for mobile users.

joe

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2013, 11:47:07 PM »

I"ll be quite happy with it once its made mobile friendly. Just seems daft changing what was an excellent site.

Mount Street Alty

« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2013, 11:49:59 AM »

Agreed, its all about Blackberries cos they're the best

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2013, 07:59:51 PM »

I still can't get to the fixtures, what am I doing wrong.

Using an iPad

Go to Site Index then First Team fixtures

Got it ta
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »

I now cannot get the Small Format News at all on my iPhone and, as explained by someone else, it cannot be selected from the drop-down menu under "Home" as it can on the PC. I'm therefore going blind (or is that something else?) :P

So until the new site is made iPhone friendly could Small Format News be put as a link in the new left-hand column please?

cheers

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2013, 06:37:55 AM »

So until the new site is made iPhone friendly could Small Format News be put as a link in the new left-hand column please?

cheers
You've done it already. Thank you very much.

Robin Reliant

« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2013, 05:15:08 PM »

New small format system works well on older Android phones too.... :)

Robin Reliant

« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2013, 05:33:08 PM »

Can't get matchday updates on my phone with the new format...can't scroll down the page  ???
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty website revamp