PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wikipedia
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Wikipedia  (Read 12943 times)

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Wikipedia
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 08:50:07 PM »

does any one no about altys first ground  and what land marks are left
See official website archive section.
Stood in the Golf Rd that day there was easily room for another few hundred. Pre Taylor we easily could take 10,000, safety wise I reckon we are about right now. Big change isn't it?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

arnald

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 09:05:30 PM »

Stood in the Golf Rd that day there was easily room for another few hundred. Pre Taylor we easily could take 10,000, safety wise I reckon we are about right now. Big change isn't it?
some one told me that we had are biggest  crowd against witon 14 thousand , when are rivals was wigan

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »

some one told me that we had are biggest  crowd against witon 14 thousand , when are rivals was wigan

Think that might have been the second leg of the CSC final at the end of 66-67 season which we won 3-1 (3-2 on aggregate). People were sat on top of the Red Robin Club at one point I seem to remember.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

roytonmike

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 09:48:40 PM »

Think that might have been the second leg of the CSC final at the end of 66-67 season which we won 3-1 (3-2 on aggregate). People were sat on top of the Red Robin Club at one point I seem to remember.
That is probably the occasion you're thinking of - combined gate for the two legs was over 11,000 (4012 at Central Ground 1st leg, 7290 at Moss Lane 2nd leg) which may be where the confusion over numbers arises. Wigan were 2nd in the league both years that we won it (65/6 & 66/7), then Macc came back into the picture.

arnald

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 10:06:45 PM »

That is probably the occasion you're thinking of - combined gate for the two legs was over 11,000 (4012 at Central Ground 1st leg, 7290 at Moss Lane 2nd leg) which may be where the confusion over numbers arises. Wigan were 2nd in the league both years that we won it (65/6 & 66/7), then Macc came back into the picture.
thank you pall  good stats

thegazelle

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 06:44:02 AM »

SW    i too was in the golf road against orient , which is very bizarre can you recall why we decided to go in that end . if i remember correctly the orient fans were in the golf road corner of the popular side so we could have gone in the golf road.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 03:11:05 PM »

I was in the corner of the ground with the Orient fans - selling programmes.

I apologise for the error on crowds - there were "only" 7844 at Moss Lane for the game, as my brother angrily texted me pointing out, before the message board correction from RoytonMike.  The 8841 was the crowd at Brisbane Road. 

8462 for the Barrow game in 67/68 is the biggest I can find for a Moss Lane crowd  The Wigan game that Cult refers to had a crowd of 8088, and Scarborough the year before weighed in with 7182.  All these games were in the FA Cup.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 05:35:31 PM »

What happened between 1968 and 1971 when I first went to Moss Lane. Pretty sure crowds were not published back then but my recollections were that from 71 onwards we used to get gates around 1500-1600 as a rule, what happened in the meantime if we could get 7k in for big games three or four years earlier?

PS Gazelle I don't get your question mate, I was in the Golf Rd and yes, Orient had the section of Popular Side. We tried that a few times that season, Vics were put there too I recall.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 05:37:13 PM by SW »

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 05:50:21 PM »

PS Gazelle I don't get your question mate, I was in the Golf Rd and yes, Orient had the section of Popular Side. We tried that a few times that season, Vics were put there too I recall.

I imagine he was in the Chequers like me despite always standing on the Golf Road normally
Was it tickets? Cannot think why we would have gone in that end unless we had to

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 05:52:13 PM »

Thought that might be it, reckon you entered by the usual turnstile to find you couldn't walk round like normal?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 06:49:57 PM »

Chequers End for me, too, at that Orient game.

It was pretty packed on there, as I recall.

I'm still haunted by that moment of indecision between Alex Stepney and John Davison which led to Orient's second half equaliser.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

York Alty

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 06:52:41 PM »

Chequers End for me, too, at that Orient game.

It was pretty packed on there, as I recall.

I'm still haunted by that moment of indecision between Alex Stepney and John Davison which led to Orient's second half equaliser.

Chequers End for me too.  I had forgotten that moment of hesitation - I can almost picture it in my head now.

taxi Phil

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 10:54:01 PM »

I was where the Family Stand is now.....and like Cult I can still see that awful moment when Alex Stepney made the only real blooper I recall during his brief stay with us.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 08:06:17 AM »

Not forgetting Whitbread managing to get the ball over the bar from 2 yards out...

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 08:50:45 AM »

I missed the BIG one - 1967/8 - Cheshire League Championship decider 12th April 1968 (Good Friday): Altrincham 0 Macclesfield 2.  Attendance 8721

That day the power in North West non league football moved away from Alty, and we endured 3 mediocre seasons before the arrival of the late Roy Rees  and Tony Sanders in 1972 sparked the next great renaissance of the tea,.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wikipedia