News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Duncan Watmore

Author Topic: Duncan Watmore  (Read 3599 times)

mackem_john

Duncan Watmore
« on: October 23, 2013, 08:41:39 AM »

Hello folks,

Not sure if you're interested or not, but one of your old boys is doing very well. Duncan Watmore scored twice for Sunderland U21 against Chelsea the other day, to keep Sunderland top of the U21 Premier League table (less said about the senior squad the better).

Highlights are below (you have to register, but it's free).
http://www.safc.com/news/reserves-and-academy/2013/october/highlights-safc-u21-2-chelsea-u21-2

Duncan has settled in great and has definitely impressed for the development squad; the fans who follow it often rave about his pace and touch. He seems to have a level head on his shoulders too and speaks well in front of the camera. The story goes that his main point of negotiation regarding his move to the North East was that he wanted to transfer his degree to Sunderland University; given that players are often perceived as overpaid, idiotic Prima Donnas, this impressed a lot of people.

I'm not sure whether it's too early for us to see him getting a Premier League cap this season. I certainly hope so as I think he could be a breath of fresh air, but the senior squad is a little bloated at the minute and maybe it is best not to rush him into a team which is desperately low in morale. In the long term, Sunderland's precarious position in the league could work to his advantage. Relegation to the Championship next season could result in a cull from the senior squad, opening up opportunities for the development squad. The development squad's success in the U21 league highlights the quality in the Academy, so the club would be crazy not to look there first for the players to lift us back into the Premier League.

Whatever happens, it looks like you've nurtured a lad with a huge potential. I just hope we don't squander it.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan Watmore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 08:50:59 AM »

Many thanks for the update john, its great to hear of his progress. Duncan is a "once every Preston guild" type player at Altrincham and you could tell straight away he was the real deal, I hope he gets his premier league berth soon, I've got a tenner on him going to the the World Cup :)

Randy Konk

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 12:29:29 PM »

Dennis - interested to know what odds you got on that.

I tried to place a bet on him playing for England in the next three years but bookies didn't want to know.

Good to hear Duncan  is doing well. I genuine think he can cut it at Premiership level - if not imminently, in seasons to come. Good luck to him!

sweetfa

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 01:15:44 PM »

Thanks John - he will be very pleased to read those comments - I have uploaded video to Youtube - Ian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sakUNjF116E

radcliffe alty

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 01:53:36 PM »

Great to see Duncan doing so well, but God I wish he still played for us!!

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 02:46:09 PM »

This makes very good reading. I'm glad he is where he is, keep going Duncan your doing yourself and family proud and all of us at Alty are proud of you

Cmon you Alty Mackem

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 02:55:15 PM »

Surely he's worth a place on the bench already

roytonmike

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 03:13:34 PM »

DON'T RUSH THE LAD! He's doing fine and it's a great credit to himself, his family and those who nurtured him at this club that he seems to have settled in so well at Blunderland. Don't forget he's not been there four months yet.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 03:45:07 PM »

DON'T RUSH THE LAD! He's doing fine and it's a great credit to himself, his family and those who nurtured him at this club that he seems to have settled in so well at Blunderland. Don't forget he's not been there four months yet.

Spot on. He's doing very well and he continues to impress.

York Alty

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 04:15:40 PM »

Spot on. He's doing very well and he continues to impress.

Unlike their first team!

Lovely finish for the first, and his second was all about Duncan driving into the box, anticipating the ball coming back. 

Looks good, really very good for him.  Congrats Duncan and thanks John for coming back to us.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 04:19:45 PM by York Alty »
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Duncan Watmore