Today

Author Topic: Today  (Read 4296 times)

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
Today
« on: November 02, 2013, 05:30:53 PM »

There's probably about to be a meltdown on here but I actually think we can take a bit of heart from that result. We played some great football today, especially in the first half and more than matched them after the sending off. However as the match progressed the loss of an extra man inevitably began to show and we were slowly pushed back and stretched as the half wore on.

As for the substitutions. Kyle Perry played ok when he came on. The quick,passing football we were playing when Reeves was on the pitch was more effective but I don't think we were capable of maintaining that tempo with 10 men for the whole game. The switch to a target man took some pressure off the runners in the midfield albeit at the expense of a perhaps more potent threat  up front, although I think he needs to have a bigger presence when in the air and he didn't chase or harry players as much as I'd expect a player in a 10 man side to do so.

The second sub confused me a bit more. Nicky Clee was clearly our best attacking outlet in that 2nd half and I can only think he was injured when we took him off for Brian Smikle who didn't offer anything near the dynamism we had enjoyed previously. After that I can't really recall us having a concrete chance which is disappointing as I believe we were "knocking on the door" before then.

Aside from being downhearted from the defeat I think we showed a lot of resilience to stay in the game. Moult, Havern and  Densmore (amongst others) worked extremely hard to keep the match competitive and I believe we would have gotten something out of it had we been playing a lesser side than Hednesford who were very good going forward.

Had we kept 11 men on the pitch though I think we would have at least won a point from today.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 11:15:01 PM by GolfRoader »

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Today
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 05:32:42 PM »

have to disagree about oerry , he was disappointing when he came on , sending off decided the game.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 05:49:57 PM »

have to disagree about oerry , he was disappointing when he came on , sending off decided the game.

I can only think he brought him on to help stem the flow of long balls, corners and crosses coming into our area. They had quite a few big players on the pitch and were an aerial threat. Perry did help in that respect to be fair but I agree that he was largely ineffective going forward and I personally would have left Reeves on. That's the only reason I can think he was brought on and I hope the manager was reluctant when doing it.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 05:54:32 PM »

Can I be the first to say how good James Walshaw's goal was?

Longman

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 06:02:32 PM »

We could have got something had we kept Clee on the pitch. When he went off he had his arms in the air in disbelief, a monkey would know that we have more chance of scoring with Clee on the pitch than Smikle.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 06:05:05 PM »

Can I be the first to say how good James Walshaw's goal was?

Was a great header. The cross was brilliant too.

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 06:40:52 PM »

So what should we have done if not make sub's that were made today , agree smikle not good enough , should we have put one of youth team on , or left things as they were .

Stan Hibbert

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 06:45:43 PM »

So what should we have done if not make sub's that were made today , agree smikle not good enough , should we have put one of youth team on , or left things as they were .

Did we need to make any changes??

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 06:59:03 PM »

A couple of points if I might.

The two players taken off were unhappy - Good! I'd be incandescent if they weren't umpty at being subbed

Does anyone other than the management know the state of health of our players?  There was a bug going around the squad last week which affected most if not all of them to some degree. some worse than others. We were gonna have to play over eighty minutes with ten players on the back of that so changes were inevitable don't you think?

Does anybody REALLY think that ANY manager would make changes to deliberately weaken the team and reduce their chances of recovering a deficit? Let's just remember please that prior to today we were second in the League....yes SECOND.

Referees never score a goal for or against you but a performance as abject and inconsistent as Mr Salisbury today cannot but have a significant impact on the eventual outcome which is very very wrong.

thegazelle

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »

Referees never score a goal for or against you but a performance as abject and inconsistent as Mr Salisbury today cannot but have a significant impact on the eventual outcome which is very very wrong.

well bugger me rigid with a poker . tunnel steward criticizes a ref . un precedented situation he really must have been crap.

i only got there for the last 15 mins but saw enough evidence of him allowing timewasting it took them about 25 minutes to celebrate there 3 rd.

taxi Phil

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 08:47:22 PM »

well bugger me rigid with a poker . tunnel steward criticizes a ref . un precedented situation he really must have been crap.

i only got there for the last 15 mins but saw enough evidence of him allowing timewasting it took them about 25 minutes to celebrate there 3 rd.

ATS would have to be really out of his tree to NOT criticise the utterly abject Mr.Salisbury. My housemate could have spotted the handball which totally enabled Durrell to score the third, and SHE'S registered blind.

DAB @ ALTY

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »

Two defeats on successive Saturdays,no game next Saturday,then Bradford P.A. away a week on Monday
followed by yet another difficult home game to Solihull Moors.We have got to take points from those two
games,if we don't then I can see us going into the Xmas period well off the pace and with the present
squad of players I don't think that we can continue the push for that play off place.Hope that I am proved
wrong and that we can get ourselves back in the mix before Xmas.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today