PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Big Doubt for Match
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Big Doubt for Match  (Read 10403 times)

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Big Doubt for Match
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 03:18:38 PM »

Its a tricky one this, at the end of the day the ref this morning who said it was fit is NOT the referee for the game, so any responsibility he will be accountable for. I certainly agree that games seem to called off at a whim more easily than actually trying to get the game to go ahead.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 03:29:28 PM »

Yes Mark , but if players and managers agree to play , who is then held responsible if someone gets hurt because of the conditions .

This is exactly why games get postponed. We live in a blame society where every bugger is looking for some sort of compo. Its all over the TV adverts with nobheads like Andrew Castle making fkn thousands out of it. Its an unfortunate import from the USA.

Tragic as they are for the victims,but just wait and see how many people jump on the flooding compo bandwagon.

This is the problem and I don't blame the match referee if he honestly deemed the pitch unplayable. If both teams disagreed with his decision then questions will be asked. In the end the referee is responsible.

Former tennis player and GMTV presenter who doesn't take to lightly to being told he's a dick on twitter
There is probably some truth in it and he probably realises it deep down.  I never understand why these B listers go on twitter and then get all arsey when folks post bad stuff about them. Just avoid going on there ffs

eightiesrobin

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 05:04:53 PM »

Some sh*te results today. Wins for Ferriby, Telford and Harrogate who now leapfrog us into 6th.

Update - Solihull beat Hednesford, which means Solihull also leapfrog us. Now sitting in 8th. Balls.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:08:41 PM by eightiesrobin »

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 06:10:27 PM »

Some sh*te results today. Wins for Ferriby, Telford and Harrogate who now leapfrog us into 6th.

Update - Solihull beat Hednesford, which means Solihull also leapfrog us. Now sitting in 8th. Balls.

Depends which way you look at it. Had we played and won today, we'd be 7th still but only 5 points off 2nd with games in hand over everyone. Put a run together and we'll be there.

As for my thoughts on the postponement, 10 years ago that game is played. But such is football in this age (and as mentioned the where there's blame there's a claim mentality in this country) ref was always going to call it off. What puzzles me is what happened between 9am and the ref arriving at 1:30pm. As weather worsened, wouldn't it had been wise to get that ref to come down again at 11:30 before he set off to southport?
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

arnald

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 06:14:09 PM »

Depends which way you look at it. Had we played and won today, we'd be 7th still but only 5 points off 2nd with games in hand over everyone. Put a run together and we'll be there.

As for my thoughts on the postponement, 10 years ago that game is played. But such is football in this age (and as mentioned the where there's blame there's a claim mentality in this country) ref was always going to call it off. What puzzles me is what happened between 9am and the ref arriving at 1:30pm. As weather worsened, wouldn't it had been wise to get that ref to come down again at 11:30 before he set off to southport?
correct with storms about and that, is there no way of sorting it out early

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 07:00:13 PM »

Yes Mark , but if players and managers agree to play , who is then held responsible if someone gets hurt because of the conditions .

This is exactly why games get postponed. We live in a blame society where every bugger is looking for some sort of compo. Its all over the TV adverts with nobheads like Andrew Castle making fkn thousands out of it. Its an unfortunate import from the USA.

Tragic as they are for the victims,but just wait and see how many people jump on the flooding compo bandwagon.

What is the flood compo bandwagon ?

You pay your insurance for years and when you need it, you claim?
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

arnald

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 08:39:10 PM »

who gives a dam about usa

What is the flood compo bandwagon ?

You pay your insurance for years and when you need it, you claim?

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 09:20:19 PM »

Explanation rather than excuses@

The local guy who inspected this morning will have assessed whether the pitch was playable at the time he inspected so, at 9.00 it was okay.

If it was marginal, given travelling distance for us, he may, having at all times been in contact with the Match Referee, have looked at local knowledge, weather forecasts etc. So, if it was as dark as a coal hole picnic with rain forecast he probably would have called it off - if it was dry and sunny, maybe with a wind, and local knowledge suggested that the prevailing conditions would dry it up some then he would have said that it was playable AT 9.00

If it then threw it down at 9.45 say or the anticipated wind and sunshine didn't appear then we are in the hands of the match official when he arrives.

His prime concern is safety, of players, officials and spectators. After that he might give some thought to whether the game would be a farce due to conditions.

Hope this helps in some way, although I doubt it will allay the irritation many are feeling

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 09:46:39 PM »

Turn it in..... Home side leaned on the local side to say yes.Disgrace, he should be chalked off, fuming.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »

If it then threw it down at 9.45 say or the anticipated wind and sunshine didn't appear then we are in the hands of the match official when he arrives.

Hope this helps in some way, although I doubt it will allay the irritation many are feeling

If this bit answers my question, it shows there is no common sense in the game. If conditions have changed since the original inspection, why wait for the match referee?? Get the local ref to head down again before he sets off for his game,and he can also save the match ref a journey.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:04:15 PM by Nasha »
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Hamilton

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 10:39:34 PM »

The local guy who inspected this morning will have assessed whether the pitch was playable at the time he inspected so, at 9.00 it was okay.

If it was marginal, given travelling distance for us, he may, having at all times been in contact with the Match Referee, have looked at local knowledge, weather forecasts etc. So, if it was as dark as a coal hole picnic with rain forecast he probably would have called it off - if it was dry and sunny, maybe with a wind, and local knowledge suggested that the prevailing conditions would dry it up some then he would have said that it was playable AT 9.00

His prime concern is safety, of players, officials and spectators. After that he might give some thought to whether the game would be a farce due to conditions.

Surely if there is any doubt at all the ref should have looked at the weather forecasts and any available satellite pic (I'm sure these are available on Met Office sites). I would imagine most fans/players would prefer not to travel and discover the game playable that travel and have it called off at the 11th hour.

ATS, does the ref and/or teams have the authority to delay a game for an hour or so under these conditions? I remember one of the England WC qualifiers recently delayed for (I think) an hour and a half before finally being called off.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 11:45:28 PM »

If this bit answers my question, it shows there is no common sense in the game. If conditions have changed since the original inspection, why wait for the match referee?? Get the local ref to head down again before he sets off for his game,and he can also save the match ref a journey.

I take your point Nasha but I would imagine that Mr Backhouse (the local Referee) would have been setting off to his game almost immediately so would not have been available.

If you read the report on the Official site there is mention of rain having fallen between the original inspection and the arrival of the match officials...the time scales given in that report suggest that it was after 10.00 am when the rain began in which case Mr Backhouse would almost certainly have been on his way to his game

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 11:47:25 PM »

Surely if there is any doubt at all the ref should have looked at the weather forecasts and any available satellite pic (I'm sure these are available on Met Office sites). I would imagine most fans/players would prefer not to travel and discover the game playable that travel and have it called off at the 11th hour.

ATS, does the ref and/or teams have the authority to delay a game for an hour or so under these conditions? I remember one of the England WC qualifiers recently delayed for (I think) an hour and a half before finally being called off.

Yes the Referee has that authority provided, in his opinion and having taken account of weather forecasts, local knowledge and the CURRENT state of the playing surface, there is a realistic chance of it being in a suitable condition

Hamilton

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 11:55:55 PM »

Yes the Referee has that authority provided, in his opinion and having taken account of weather forecasts, local knowledge and the CURRENT state of the playing surface, there is a realistic chance of it being in a suitable condition

Thankyou

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2014, 12:21:37 AM »

I take your point Nasha but I would imagine that Mr Backhouse (the local Referee) would have been setting off to his game almost immediately so would not have been available.

If you read the report on the Official site there is mention of rain having fallen between the original inspection and the arrival of the match officials...the time scales given in that report suggest that it was after 10.00 am when the rain began in which case Mr Backhouse would almost certainly have been on his way to his game

Then that again questions the referees common sense. Assuming he was meant to arrive at Southport for 1:30,that would give him 3 1/2 hours to get there. Why leave so early?? We left altrincham at just before 10 and arrived in Workington at 1:15. For a shorter distance, to get there for half 1 he could have easily left at 11.

Tony Adams after Euro 96
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Big Doubt for Match