PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's Team
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Today's Team  (Read 15257 times)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Team
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2014, 06:05:47 PM »

Spot on mark

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2014, 06:18:30 PM »

Interesting comparisons with 2004-2005

1. Altrincham already have more points (71 against 69) than when finishing fifth.
2. Altrincham lost eleven games that season (currently lost nine)
3. Neither of the last two games of the regular season were won.
4. Neither of the first two play-off games were won in normal time (Nuneaton on pens, Kettering an own goal in extra-time).

Conclusion. The season hasn't ended yet. Anything can happen.

GB Alty

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2014, 06:20:22 PM »

We have a very competitive budget made possible by the continuous hard work of a very small group of volunteers to supplement gate money, golden goals etc.   We wouldn't pay the two best ( and I would guess most expensive bar Jarman ) strikers in the league if we didn't want to win games and thus win the league.

This gets more and more lost each week and I think it's very sad.

Who remembers the days of public meetings being called every 6 weeks to find £10,000 or face winding up orders?

Ecky I don't think anything gets lost, but as a club we need to look forward instead back in the past

This is where the mindset of the club is all wrong, keeps thinking back to those days, can't move on. And for this reason I can never see the club moving forward or back to where it was in the past. There isn't enough ambition about the place, to many people just happy to tread water because at least we got a club

I find the whole thing very sad, heartbreaking

Jimmy

« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2014, 06:28:42 PM »

1. Altrincham already have more points (71 against 69) than when finishing fifth.
4. Neither of the first two play-off games were won in normal time (Nuneaton on pens, Kettering an own goal in extra-time).

Problem is we can't win big games which is a worry with playoffs coming up and this team has more ability than 2005 but they had heart

markecky

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2014, 06:34:42 PM »

We have a very competitive budget made possible by the continuous hard work of a very small group of volunteers to supplement gate money, golden goals etc.   We wouldn't pay the two best ( and I would guess most expensive bar Jarman ) strikers in the league if we didn't want to win games and thus win the league.

Who remembers the days of public meetings being called every 6 weeks to find £10,000 or face winding up orders?

Ecky I don't think anything gets lost, but as a club we need to look forward instead back in the past

This is where the mindset of the club is all wrong, keeps thinking back to those days, can't move on. And for this reason I can never see the club moving forward or back to where it was in the past. There isn't enough ambition about the place, to many people just happy to tread water because at least we got a club

I find the whole thing very sad, heartbreaking

Can't move on?  We are a million miles away from those days, we had nothing then other than a debt laden football club lurching from crisis to crisis didn't we?

I don't see people treading water.  I see 37 junior teams, ladies teams, youth education programmes, plans for a new community hall to provide the non matchday income the club has never had and to allow it to grow with solid foundations in place and decent facilities.

I see a club that has never been stronger off the field, in fact the only place it has been found wanting is on the big occasion on the pitch.  That needs addressing at the end of the season as the most important of all of this is the first team.

Maybe some fans are happy in the Conference North and that is there right.  I'm not one of them and I think the easiest decision the board could make for the sake of their own families and lives would be to halve the budget, accept crowds of 350-400 and potter along.

I don't see any signs of that at all so I don't think they should be criticised for something they are essentially not doing.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2014, 06:36:05 PM »

True, but they managed to lose five and draw five against teams who finished in the bottom eight. And I forgot to mention they were fifteen point short of the winners Southport.

markecky

« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2014, 06:36:38 PM »

Problem is we can't win big games which is a worry with playoffs coming up and this team has more ability than 2005 but they had heart

Spot on Jimmy.  Half ( or maybe more ) of this squad just treat it like a job in my opinion.  They could be playing for Belper Town if the money was the same and have no idea how much playing for Altrincham means to us.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2014, 06:37:50 PM »

How much is this community centre budgeted to raise?

GB Alty

« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2014, 06:49:50 PM »

Ecky it was your post that suggested we should think back and be grateful

"This gets more and more lost each week and I think it's very sad" these were your words

"Who remembers the days of public meetings being called every 6 weeks to find £10,000 or face winding up orders" more of your words, what was the point you were trying to make?

Jimmy

« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2014, 06:50:09 PM »

True, but they managed to lose five and draw five against teams who finished in the bottom eight. And I forgot to mention they were fifteen point short of the winners Southport.

More importantly they beat all the top 5 apart from droylesden granted we lost at southport but beat them here and the 2005 wage budget was one of the lowest in the league not competetive like this squads budget
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 06:53:16 PM by Jimmy »

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2014, 06:56:55 PM »

I have to say, I can vividly remember the SAFE meetings where we would pay all our hard-earned funds to the club just to enable them to pay the players' wages. Give me our current situation over that any day of the week. The club is doing brilliantly off the field, it's on the field that needs taking up a notch or two.
Come on Alty!

Jimmy

« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2014, 07:11:25 PM »

In the 2005 team we had likes of Christ Adams taking injections to play and Eddie who basically ended his career getting us through playoffs this gang wouldn't play with a cold

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2014, 07:13:46 PM »

Christ Adams might not have been available to play at Easter though.

taxi Phil

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2014, 09:34:14 PM »

Christ Adams might not have been available to play at Easter though.
Not as many crosses as Dean Saunders  ;)

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2014, 09:34:36 PM »

It ain't a popular view to mention it but sometimes we lose track of what we do have whilst we shout about what we don't.  There are many clubs who would swop places with us.

Promotion is the aim at the start of the season.  We'd have to rediscover some of the mindset that we had years ago when we lose more than we win in the Premier if we got up but providing people stayed realistic then who knows what could be achieved.

It's pretty black and white for me.  if Lee Sinnott gets us up then he deserves a go at it.  If he doesn't then he has had three years at it which is time enough for any manager and it is time for a fresh face.  That is a conversation for 3 weeks time though.

For now, I back the team and see where it takes us.

great post and I agree backs to the wall and let's get behind the management and players untill the last ball is kicked
ParkINson's red and white army
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's Team