PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Home attendances why so low¿
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Home attendances why so low¿  (Read 23427 times)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
Re: Home attendances why so low¿
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2006, 01:19:17 PM »

Nope, make the tickets, phone the schools and post them to the schools. Job Done.
Jenga are you volountering then ?

I can ask the club on your behalf (or you can) and see if its something that can be done

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 01:37:25 PM »

I do believe the excuse of Man Utd and City does not hold to much water.

Why?
Well have the attendences ever gone through the roof when City play away on Saturday and United play on a Sunday live on Sky ???

I think the answer would probably be no, but I dont have any stats to prove my arguement. So it is purely an observation.

So I stand by my comment that United and City can not be blamed for poor attendance.

I don't think that really proves your point at all.

I'm not suggesting that we're missing out on all those that attend matches at United or City; otherwise as you say when either of them isn’t playing at home on a Saturday afternoon we would get much larger attendances.

The whole point is that even those that don't go to the matches still feel that they support either City or United, and as such they simply aren't arsed about Alty. As Ecky says even in local schools, children from Altrincham take the piss and this is because we are right in the centre of United or City support, Altrincham doesn't even cross their minds as in that tired old phrase it just isn't 'proper' football.

Moss Lane and Altrincham is so far removed from the Premiership idea that some people believe encompasses what football actually is, that many of those people that profess to support City or United simply don't recognise it as somewhere they want to go, it just doesn't fit in with their concept of what football is about. As such because they support City or United the chances of them suddenly deciding to come and watch Alty is far diminished.

I realise that all smaller clubs have to compete with the Premiership, however much fewer clubs are in our position where (being in South Manchester) we are slap bang in the middle of, in the main, United territory with a fair proportion of City thrown in. Grays have a comparable problem, they have a similar population but are in the shadow of West Ham and as such, even though they play excellent football only attract crowds in the region of 1200.

Being part of Greater Manchester any town loses some of its identity as it is consumed by the wider conurbation, and just in the way that urban sprawl occurs so too does the football side of things, with allegiances also easily consumed. I have no doubt that if Altrincham was fifteen rather than five miles away from the centre of Manchester the effect of the Premiership clubs would not be as great, as a more solid identity would be formed concerning the town and its football team.

If United and City didn't exist or Altrincham was much further away from where it is now, would the crowds increase? I myself can see no argument to suggest they would not.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 01:39:13 PM by Jimmy Hill »
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2006, 01:50:15 PM »

i'd get in some of the local schools ive got friday and thursday afternoons to get in and spread the word if the club were happy for it to happen. go in talk to the headteacher then see what happens, i know the head teacher at alty C of E quite well as my mum works there and i'm sure theres still a teacher at my old primary school. free kid with ticket halfprice adult with kid (with ticket) methinks

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2006, 02:25:16 PM »

Hitting schools is a great idea and is how me and alot of mates first went to Alty back in 1993 where free vouchers were given out. Also an FA cup run could help.

markecky

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006, 02:52:35 PM »

I first attended Alty after our school (Stamford Park) went on a tour of the ground and I saw the FA Trophy. 

I got to go in the dressing room and thought that was amazing.  I didn't expect to be emulsioning it ten years later!

We got some free tickets that day, I got hooked and here I am.  Bastards.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2006, 03:18:20 PM »

I didn't expect to be emulsioning it ten years later!

On Emulsion? or alty because to be fair both can be bad for your health!

markecky

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2006, 03:51:41 PM »

It would have been far less damaging to be hooked on emulsion I reckon, after some of the ups and downs of following the robins

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2006, 04:30:55 PM »

lol good reply

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2006, 04:54:06 PM »

You don't need to send any tickets out. Send a letter with  a form attched 2 wks before anyone wanting to take up the offer reply's with payment  to the club. Tickets sent out or left at a turnstile.

You could go a step further do a draw for all the juniors that take up the offer and the winner gets to be mascot for the game.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 05:15:30 PM by robininstockport »
Full time and proud of it

Johnnyjenga

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2006, 05:15:26 PM »

Nope, make the tickets, phone the schools and post them to the schools. Job Done.
Jenga are you volountering then ?

I can ask the club on your behalf (or you can) and see if its something that can be done

I will speak to you at the next match and see what is to be done. If there is something to be done here I will gladly help.

See you on Saturday then.

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2006, 07:07:09 PM »

I first attended Alty after our school (Stamford Park) went on a tour of the ground and I saw the FA Trophy. 

I got to go in the dressing room and thought that was amazing.  I didn't expect to be emulsioning it ten years later!

Mark i was exactly the same thats why i suggested the tickets to schools its definatley a winner.. I got given one during my sports lesson at Welly Road ( pah Green lane!) and loved it to bits . Tell you something people its Fin cold back in Broadheath!!
Come on you red and white........

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2006, 08:27:57 PM »

Mark i was exactly the same thats why i suggested the tickets to schools its definatley a winner.. I got given one during my sports lesson at Welly Road ( pah Green lane!) and loved it to bits . Tell you something people its Fin cold back in Broadheath!!

me too both on the ticket from school and the Fin freezin bit!

JohnnyInTheBridge

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2006, 03:15:40 PM »

Anybody who doesn't think that Alty being within a 20 minute drive of 2 grounds who in total draw over 100,000 people a week is quite frankly deluding themselves.

On top of that, and within a similar distance are other lower LEAGUE clubs, and then there are other Non-League outfits as well. Don't go looking for a loyal fan-base all of your own that is little more than you already have.

I would suggest that the circumstances, given the size of the connurbation and the number of clubs locally, is fairly unique in the UK. I'm not even sure that London compares. In fact I recall some figures recently which suggested that as a proportion of the City's population more people attended sporting events in Manchester than any other City in the world with the exception of Melbourne.

If you want to increase your piece of the action a completely new outlook is going to be needed.

First and foremost, as has already been suggested.... GET THE KIDS. You might not ever become their first club of choice, but those that don't will prefer to be at Moss Lane watchin, than (at best) sat in a beer garden while Dad watches it in the pub. They will enjoy the involvment. Though they might prefer to wear a more "peer friendly" shirt on the school footy pitch.

Now the kids aren't likely to be allowed to come on their own. Combine that with huge amount of growing disillusionment amongst once regular Prem fans and you should also get a few of those interested too. They'll enjoy the atmosphere, the reasonable admission prices and the commitment of the players. And also the lack of detachment from the action.

You might never completely win the hearts of many of these fans but you will benefit from their wallets and the knock-on benefits of the exposure in their subsequent pub discussions when asked   ..."why didn't you go to the away game at Spurs last week"

Accept the idea, initially at least, that being somebody's second club isn't a crime against humanity. I can understand why it might hurt you pride a little but look at it as a 2 stage process.

Get the kids and their parents so Moss Lane is a thousand Alty through and through + a similar number of kids with parents partially under sufference. Several years down the line you might find those allegiences have shifted somewhat.

I'm not lecturing here, just offering a "slightly" detached view from somebody who once use to go Prem home and away. I have other mates who now prefer to spend Saturdays at Glossop, Fleetwood, Hyde, Stalybridge and Bury rather that spending £100 for a day sat on the M1.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2006, 03:22:13 PM »

Well said

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2006, 03:27:59 PM »

The simple quick soluton is Big FA Cup run and then a winning team  ;D If only that simple.

The good thing about what happened last season (and why CP should be thanked a little, only a little) is that it put Altrincham back in the public eye. We had been missing media coverage without FA Cup runs and the farce helped bring Altrincham FC to everyones attention.

Also the England match ticket idea is also doing likewise and reminding people that Altrincham FC do have a football club that plays at a reasonable level. The more media coverage the better and if we only got one more regular fan its more than we had before.

Only 2hrs before my lift comes to take me to Cambridge.

PS:
Imagine how much room this topic would have took up on the old forum  ...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 03:31:52 PM by gazwarrington »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Home attendances why so low¿