PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 First XI
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: First XI  (Read 10789 times)

Alfa Romeo

Re: First XI
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 03:33:23 PM »

It's amazing how perception becomes reality. Perry started 16 league games last season compared to Reeves 39 & Walshaw 35. Personally I think Perry's use is as a sub, as someone said on another thread, what he does well no one else does and there are games when he comes on, does his thing and is effective. But I'd expect Reeves & Gillespie to start more often than not. Every now and again Perry will start, we'll all wonder what the thinking behind it is, and if we lose some people will blame Perry even if he plays well

Coburn

Densmore       Leather         Havern          M Williams

Crowther        Cavanagh     S Williams       Clee

Gillespie        Reeves

Subs: Parton, Marshall/Griffin, Perry, Richman/Moult  Lawrie/Wilkinson

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 05:19:08 PM »

It's amazing how perception becomes reality. Perry started 16 league games last season compared to Reeves 39 & Walshaw 35. Personally I think Perry's use is as a sub, as someone said on another thread, what he does well no one else does and there are games when he comes on, does his thing and is effective. But I'd expect Reeves & Gillespie to start more often than not. Every now and again Perry will start, we'll all wonder what the thinking behind it is, and if we lose some people will blame Perry even if he plays well

Coburn

Densmore       Leather         Havern          M Williams

Crowther        Cavanagh     S Williams       Clee

Gillespie        Reeves

Subs: Parton, Marshall/Griffin, Perry, Richman/Moult  Lawrie/Wilkinson

That's exactly the team I'd go with - apart from putting the midfield into a more obvious diamond (Liverpool-esque)

You've paired the midfield subs up well - any one of the former pair for Cav, any one of the latter pair for Williams. All can cover Clee and Crowther out wide if absolutely necessary, although this should be last resort for me.

I think Moult and Richman can thrive in a sitting role if they understand that is the role required of them, similarly Lawrie should hopefully thrive in his favoured position when he's on the pitch.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 06:11:07 PM »

I would be more than happy having parton as goalkeeper he looks assured confident and against accy played well stuart has got some serious worries

Last evening comprised my first sighting of Parton and, whilst he performed OK overall, he was surely at fault for Accrington's goal direct from the free kick, wasn't he....?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

roytonmike

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 06:22:39 PM »

I've only seen a couple of pre-season games (at Mossley & Hyde) but would venture the following -
Griffin would be the more logical choice at left-back; I have my worries about his pace (or lack of) but fear Mike Williams is suspect in the same way.
Coburn is never very convincing pre-season but I am of the opinion that this will be his last campaign - I hope it won't prove a bridge too far.
I don't imagine that Crowther has been brought here to be a sub, though I wasn't convinced by him on Saturday.

fuertes

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 06:47:21 PM »

I suspect we'll have one up front more often than people think this season.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 07:26:20 PM »

Do we still just get the 5 subs in the Conf Prem?

Think we have seven subs in the conf prem.

As I have said before.
If we are allowed seven subs, that is why the squad is bigger than last year.
So back to the team drawing board for sum!!!!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 07:42:10 PM »

Do we still just get the 5 subs in the Conf Prem?

Think we have seven subs in the conf prem.

As I have said before.
If we are allowed seven subs, that is why the squad is bigger than last year.
So back to the team drawing board for sum!!!!

Only five substitutes in last season's Conference....if that's any guide:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27360422

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jimmy

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 08:23:06 PM »

I suspect we'll have one up front more often than people think this season.
I'm not so sure Sinnott is an attacking manager

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 08:57:25 PM »

Agree with jimmy, he won't throw his principles out of the window, one thing we do know with lee is his passion for football being played properly. Sure there's more than one way to skin a cat, but our personnel are designed around having two up top. And I'd sooner give it a go in these away games than set up to draw 0-0 and lose 0-1, anyone who went to Torquay on valentines day to be met with Jody banim upfront as a lone striker will probably agree with me. It was a good idea on paper, this one one upfront stuff, it rarely worked. Let them worry about us, they'll all be expected to beat altrincham at home.We know we've always got a goal in us

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 09:03:05 PM »

Agree with jimmy, he won't throw his principles out of the window, one thing we do know with lee is his passion for football being played properly. Sure there's more than one way to skin a cat, but our personnel are designed around having two up top. And I'd sooner give it a go in these away games than set up to draw 0-0 and lose 0-1, anyone who went to Torquay on valentines day to be met with Jody banim upfront as a lone striker will probably agree with me. It was a good idea on paper, this one one upfront stuff, it rarely worked. Let them worry about us, they'll all be expected to beat altrincham at home.We know we've always got a goal in us

We have a much better side now than back then i expect us to give most teams  a game even away .hopefully we will be underestimated

Jimmy

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 09:14:25 PM »

To be fair we are in a much better position financially that's why we're a better team aswell

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 09:16:39 PM »

To be fair we are in a much better position financially that's why we're a better team aswell

Agreed

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 10:14:48 PM »

I would be more than happy having parton as goalkeeper he looks assured confident and against accy played well stuart has got some serious worries

Last evening comprised my first sighting of Parton and, whilst he performed OK overall, he was surely at fault for Accrington's goal direct from the free kick, wasn't he....?

I thought so as well.......Thought the kick was well taken, but felt sure Stuart would have got it.

I think the expectation is that this lad may be the one that finally pushes Stu onto the bench and long term this has to be a good thing, but as said on an earlier thread he has still some work to do to get the No1 jersey

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:16:49 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

York Alty

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 12:25:55 AM »

I thought so as well.......Thought the kick was well taken, but felt sure Stuart would have got it.

I think the expectation is that this lad may be the one that finally pushes Stu onto the bench and long term this has to be a good thing, but as said on an earlier thread he has still some work to do to get the No1 jersey

Not seen him play but I am sure he knows the situation, that we're looking to replace Stuart in due course.  Stuart should start leaving David Parton needing to work at it. He knows that we want him for the long term.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 11:28:03 AM »

I know it's hardly an original point but I think we (and everyone else) really over-value the draw.

Two draws and a defeat is a worse outcome than two losses and a win. However, I get the impression that people would think more favourably about the first set of results rather than the second (depending on who you play).

I put it down to loss aversion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_aversion), the draw is an acceptable result because we value not losing wore than we value winning. However, in football this attitude isn't optimal because of the way points are awarded.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 03:44:56 PM by Jimmy Hill »
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 First XI