PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Bristol Rovers Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Bristol Rovers Match Thread  (Read 16184 times)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol Rovers Match Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2014, 08:41:39 PM »

I thought Mr Joyce had a decent game today.
However, he does have a uncanny knack of making himself noticed.

That's the nearest your getting to a "well done" off me fella  ;)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2014, 08:43:24 PM »

Yes. I think the main thing he's got to remember is that it's not all about him - he's there to let things flow and be relatively invisible.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2014, 08:50:05 PM »

I thought all the team were up for it today.
Well done boys.
You all deserve the MOTM award :)

taxi Phil

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2014, 10:54:15 PM »

Don't want to single anyone out today, they all worked their tripe off.  It was a superb battling team performance and they must be buzzing tonight. Got to have a word for Marshall though who was superb but also Cavanagh who was cool as a cucumber all the way through.  Could be one of our most influential signings of recent years with his experience, he will drag us through games. Nice week off playing now, 2 sessions to work on the little things and then pick it up again at Southport.
The new Val Owen?

I can give no higher praise than to say......the new Mick Carmody.

Mr Woolf

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2014, 10:57:48 PM »

Altrincham

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2014, 02:49:52 AM »

First viewing of the season...

I absolutely loved that today. The Conference is just totally a different thing. Where we belong isn't it. Those 3 pts were better than anything we got in the Conference North we got in the past 3 seasons.

Thought we were excellent today, we've definitely got the players for this league if they can just learn and get up to speed sharpish (S Williams a prime example) even if we need perhaps a couple more. I hope the squad realise we're prepared to give them some leeway and time on that, well we're not really they've got to get to grips with it right now but just to say we appreciate it and know what's what.

Players wise:

Marshall played well, although with the proviso against Rovers' long ball approach most of what he had to do was just win headers. He did make a couple of fantastic last ditch tackles as well just when I thought he was f**ked as did Havern (one just outside the area was vital).

Scott Leather was a bit sluggish but still good enough. The Rovers forum remarked on how an Alty player had to miss a game due to work commitments. What they don't realise is he'd walk into any back 4 (in any position) in this league...particularly theirs...

Griffin - the jury seems to be out on this lad and that includes me but I'm coming round to the idea that maybe he's just one of those players who looks shaky even when he isn't. He had an 8 out of 10 game today without looking convincing (ok, 7) and he did well given they were trying to give him the Shearer/Parker treatment on crosses for an hour.

Cavanagh - this bloke's a class act, outstanding. Breaks the game up and comfy in possession. Exactly what we need, looked every inch a league 2 promotion winning captain from last year. How important he could be.

S Williams - looks a good player, just needs to adapt to this level and some of his team mates around him (and their quickness of thought)

There won't be a fitter full or part time footballer in this league than Simon Richman and I thought his 'legs' for us in central midfield in the last 20 minutes were vital. An excellent display.

Gillespie, not quite as good as Walshaw but suits Reeves much better. Likes to shoot from outside the box but all his efforts were reasonable, theirs were shocking.

Reevesy - Man of the match by a mile, sensational, looks like he's had a new lease of life. His best game in an Alty shirt. A Papin-esque finish that for all his 120+ goals you don't always associate with him.

Kyle Perry - did a good job after a frankly awful first 5 minutes. Has a role to play but needs to match the sheer effort and closing down of Reeves and Gillespie even if it'snot his bag.

Lively cameo from Crowther. I think LS will play him on the rw opposite Nicky Clee when we first play a part time team, at which point we'll murder them. Lawrie did ok too.

I think we've got more than enough to beat the middle third teams like them at home. But we must make sure we do. We deserved that today.

As for Bristol Rovers, well there's enough of their fans having post mortems anyway so I wouldn't comment as such, we're just a part time team that's beaten probably not the best team they've ever had so there's no need to start gloating or pontificating about life in non league, however....

Aside from the appalling defensive display and the precarious passing about from the back which always ended up in a hoof anyway....they need to shape up. They looked absolutely startled whenever we harried them off the ball (er, we are allowed to). You can't lapse into that attitude no matter where you go in this league. Adapt to it or spend a long angry time here. they had whatever fans in the away end and easily 150+ in the main stand who desperately deserve better (I've no idea what's going on their but they need to be aware of Stockport).

One thing worth commenting on is their manager's haraunging of the officials to get Clee booked for timewasting coming off from the furthest part of the pitch. Listen Darrell Clarke you dickhead, you're not at Salisbury now with your never never budget, it won't take long for Bristol to realise that you don't have genuine conference managerial ability, just the inflated cv that ian bogie had at a well funded Gateshead before he took over County. Your idea of professionalism was to get  Clee booked, look at yourself you f**king pillock, you presided over the most shambolic defensive display I've seen for years, sent out an anonymous midfield, which to be fair was because the ball was lumped over their heads in your abysmal long ball pathetic tactics. You should od some hard work instead of the easy route of sh*thouse tactics. The chop is coming for you in November. X

What must worry them is this was no bunch of thugs in a ramshackle ground with a tight bobbly sloping pitch, we passed them off the park today and deserved the win.

Ok, that was a lot of comment but it's mostly by the bye. What we need to focus on is that 90+ minutes of concentration and belief at his level will see us through. Well done LS/NT and the lads.

p.s well done Stu on your 1,456,372th appearance or whatever the f**k it was, you're a ledge   :-* :-* :-*

brian1925

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2014, 08:52:36 AM »

Brilliant post as always Ballers, but if Wally is a better footballer than Gillespie I'll eat my hat!!! Gillespie's turn of movement is so quick it's frightening. He is clearly accustomed to playing at this level and I feel much happier with him in the team. I do agree that he and Reevsey are more compatible and I think this is probably because Gillespie is not as greedy as Wally and can read Reevsey's game better.
It's a good debate to be had though.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2014, 09:24:01 AM »

Gillespie appears ro be a better all round player than wally who is the better striker

markecky

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2014, 09:42:51 AM »

Thanks for doing that Ballers, saved me a lot of typing.

I think we have even more to come yet from the new signings which is very exciting.  Gillespie and Cavanagh will get match fitter and Williams and Crowther will setlle in to the style we try and play with each game as well.

Gillespies fast feet and ability to change direction is a joy to watch.

The league remains tough, it almost seems odd to say that we won't play teams as poor as them every week, but to say that feels like I am taking something away from our lads.

Third game in a week against 3 full time sides and we finished the stronger.  That'll do me.

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2014, 09:45:24 AM »

Stevie g will score goals , maybe not as many as wally , but he compliments reeves better , not as greedy and two footed , overall we looked well balanced and deserved to win , still don't think Perry good enough .

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2014, 09:48:07 AM »

Good post as ever Ballers.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2014, 10:07:12 AM »

Back to the ref, fair play on  not awarding the pen to them and booking the player who dived
Bernard Taylors barmy army

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2014, 10:20:33 AM »

Not seen one Alty fan gloat at yesterday's result, enjoy it etc and move on. To be fair to the ref I forgot it was him, as in Ross Joyce, Clee took the piss lets not beat around the bush, granted he was in the corner but come on haha. Good spot to book their lad for diving as well. Incidentally did anyone else notice a foul in the build up to Rovers goal?

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2014, 10:32:46 AM »

Very good all round performance. As has been mentioned, Marshall and Griffin did very well, but Cavanagh is a class above. Thought we looked better when Richman was in the middle.

It would appear that like Peter Parker and Spiderman that Crowther and Clee are in fact the same person and we wont see them both on the pitch at the same time.

Gillespie is much better footballer than Walshaw. Once he nets his first goal I think his link up play will be better.

As for Bristol, decent fans who deserve much better than a mid conference south side.
Full time and proud of it

Jimmy

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2014, 11:06:40 AM »

First viewing of the season...

I absolutely loved that today. The Conference is just totally a different thing. Where we belong isn't it. Those 3 pts were better than anything we got in the Conference North we got in the past 3 seasons.

Thought we were excellent today, we've definitely got the players for this league if they can just learn and get up to speed sharpish (S Williams a prime example) even if we need perhaps a couple more. I hope the squad realise we're prepared to give them some leeway and time on that, well we're not really they've got to get to grips with it right now but just to say we appreciate it and know what's what.

Players wise:

Marshall played well, although with the proviso against Rovers' long ball approach most of what he had to do was just win headers. He did make a couple of fantastic last ditch tackles as well just when I thought he was f**ked as did Havern (one just outside the area was vital).

Scott Leather was a bit sluggish but still good enough. The Rovers forum remarked on how an Alty player had to miss a game due to work commitments. What they don't realise is he'd walk into any back 4 (in any position) in this league...particularly theirs...

Griffin - the jury seems to be out on this lad and that includes me but I'm coming round to the idea that maybe he's just one of those players who looks shaky even when he isn't. He had an 8 out of 10 game today without looking convincing (ok, 7) and he did well given they were trying to give him the Shearer/Parker treatment on crosses for an hour.

Cavanagh - this bloke's a class act, outstanding. Breaks the game up and comfy in possession. Exactly what we need, looked every inch a league 2 promotion winning captain from last year. How important he could be.

S Williams - looks a good player, just needs to adapt to this level and some of his team mates around him (and their quickness of thought)

There won't be a fitter full or part time footballer in this league than Simon Richman and I thought his 'legs' for us in central midfield in the last 20 minutes were vital. An excellent display.

Gillespie, not quite as good as Walshaw but suits Reeves much better. Likes to shoot from outside the box but all his efforts were reasonable, theirs were shocking.

Reevesy - Man of the match by a mile, sensational, looks like he's had a new lease of life. His best game in an Alty shirt. A Papin-esque finish that for all his 120+ goals you don't always associate with him.

Kyle Perry - did a good job after a frankly awful first 5 minutes. Has a role to play but needs to match the sheer effort and closing down of Reeves and Gillespie even if it'snot his bag.

Lively cameo from Crowther. I think LS will play him on the rw opposite Nicky Clee when we first play a part time team, at which point we'll murder them. Lawrie did ok too.

I think we've got more than enough to beat the middle third teams like them at home. But we must make sure we do. We deserved that today.

As for Bristol Rovers, well there's enough of their fans having post mortems anyway so I wouldn't comment as such, we're just a part time team that's beaten probably not the best team they've ever had so there's no need to start gloating or pontificating about life in non league, however....

Aside from the appalling defensive display and the precarious passing about from the back which always ended up in a hoof anyway....they need to shape up. They looked absolutely startled whenever we harried them off the ball (er, we are allowed to). You can't lapse into that attitude no matter where you go in this league. Adapt to it or spend a long angry time here. they had whatever fans in the away end and easily 150+ in the main stand who desperately deserve better (I've no idea what's going on their but they need to be aware of Stockport).

One thing worth commenting on is their manager's haraunging of the officials to get Clee booked for timewasting coming off from the furthest part of the pitch. Listen Darrell Clarke you dickhead, you're not at Salisbury now with your never never budget, it won't take long for Bristol to realise that you don't have genuine conference managerial ability, just the inflated cv that ian bogie had at a well funded Gateshead before he took over County. Your idea of professionalism was to get  Clee booked, look at yourself you f**king pillock, you presided over the most shambolic defensive display I've seen for years, sent out an anonymous midfield, which to be fair was because the ball was lumped over their heads in your abysmal long ball pathetic tactics. You should od some hard work instead of the easy route of sh*thouse tactics. The chop is coming for you in November. X

What must worry them is this was no bunch of thugs in a ramshackle ground with a tight bobbly sloping pitch, we passed them off the park today and deserved the win.

Ok, that was a lot of comment but it's mostly by the bye. What we need to focus on is that 90+ minutes of concentration and belief at his level will see us through. Well done LS/NT and the lads.

p.s well done Stu on your 1,456,372th appearance or whatever the f**k it was, you're a ledge   :-* :-* :-*
Surprised I saw you for a drink last night mate with you writing this book
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Bristol Rovers Match Thread