https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 why
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: why  (Read 11482 times)

Jenga

Re: why
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 10:23:31 PM »

From what i have seen so far this season, Lincoln, Southport and Gateshead, is that we are not far off getting results and there is nothing really between the sides.

It will come but we need width and we need to stop lumping the ball to Reeves.

Reeves needs to either run on to through balls or more likely get his goals from poaching using width by making runs in the box. With the size and capabilities of the defenders in this league he simply can not be expected to do much with balls into his feet with his back to goal.

For me today Perry should have started in a 4-4-2 but the argument against that is would it have exposed us to much at the back taking another out of midfield.

Hamilton

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2014, 10:28:45 PM »

I think if we're going to have Clee out injured regularly (as has been the case in the past) we need to seriously look at bringing in a good winger on loan asap. Easier said than done, but we can't be going into games with no proper wingers available and hope to stay in this league. I know we've got Crowther, but I think we may need another as well.

Mwasile?  ;)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2014, 10:32:17 PM »

I think if we're going to have Clee out injured regularly (as has been the case in the past) we need to seriously look at bringing in a good winger on loan asap. Easier said than done, but we can't be going into games with no proper wingers available and hope to stay in this league. I know we've got Crowther, but I think we may need another as well.

Mwasile?  ;)

Yes, you are very silly!
Come on Alty!

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 10:32:23 PM »

Gillespie should have started if fit but he may not have been

Jimmy

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2014, 11:08:48 PM »

From what i have seen so far this season, Lincoln, Southport and Gateshead, is that we are not far off getting results and there is nothing really between the sides.

It will come but we need width and we need to stop lumping the ball to Reeves.

Reeves needs to either run on to through balls or more likely get his goals from poaching using width by making runs in the box. With the size and capabilities of the defenders in this league he simply can not be expected to do much with balls into his feet with his back to goal.

For me today Perry should have started in a 4-4-2 but the argument against that is would it have exposed us to much at the back taking another out of midfield.
I thought Gateshead were far better Lincoln we lost because of team selection and southport lost rather than drew or won because of poor choice of subs but yes we're not far off but need a fit clee

arnald

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 12:52:30 AM »

why even try Gateshead a very hard nut today
we had a few shots on goal no chance
it be best if we smashed a shot in from
the pop side from are fans an all
and no fans vocal today no one arsed

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2014, 09:07:22 AM »

As I have seen in previous posts' it is frustrating watching the team at present, we are so close but get punished at the slightest mistake on our part. Yesterday I thought every player gave 100%, but it looked like a training game for long periods, probably due to the fact that most players had only 1 full days rest before playing again.

They closed us down quickly and there passing was better and sharper, but not much threat in the final third. Dave Parton was solid ad the save with his feet when going the wrong way was top draw. Playing 1 up front was always going to be difficult, but we had our chances. Reeves when through and stabbed wide, the penalty shout which was a good one, and a few chances in second half when Marshall skied over the bar from 6 yards. So perhaps with a bit of luck we could have got a point.

Lets hope the injuries clear up fast and we can get some more points on the board. lets keep behind the lads as they are all putting the effort in and I am sure we will turn the corner as we get more accustomed to this level.

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2014, 09:39:01 AM »

Not doubting there effort , just thought that we should of made change of system earlier maybe half time .

andrewflynn

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2014, 10:02:03 AM »

Gateshead's reluctance to play direct football will be their downfall against sides that have the bravery to pressure them at every moment. That's exactly what Grimsby did at the weekend and Gateshead couldn't deal with it.

In the first half when we played 4-5-1, for them I thought Curtis and Clark were pretty much free to carry the ball forward from the back without a challenge.

I can't believe we let them d*ck about with it, passing about their back four for the majority of the first half, when they conceded six goals at the weekend and two were completely down to defensive errors.

We should have been out there and flying at them from the off. Not necessarily even with the ball, just constant pressure until they misplace a pass. They're coming off the back of a 6-1 hiding for God's sake, there are obviously defensive issues there to exploit.

For me I felt that we were far too respectful. If Gillespie wasn't fit to start then I'd have genuinely considered playing Greg Wilkinson up top with Reeves purely to apply constant pressure onto them.

If that isn't a viable option then I'd have moved James Lawrie from that left wing, where he offered Adam Griffin (who was very good yesterday dealing with one of the league's best wingers) absolutely no protection, to play as a second striker.

4-5-1 at home may be the way to go on occasion this season, but I don't think yesterday was it. Sure, use it if you're genuinely going to be defending for your lives - but yesterday I felt the game was crying out for us to chase every player down instantly.

It should have been about getting the ball back in their half and causing problems through unexpected and constant pressure. We can't win the ball and play it out from our own defence. I'm sorry but we're not good enough.

We made it very, very easy for them by letting them play out from the back at their own leisure.

VofD

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2014, 10:23:57 AM »

Too negative, for me.

The best that we could have hoped for with that starting formation was to have restricted them to a goalless draw.

Once we had conceded a goal, that plan had gone out of the window.

They came to us on the back of a defensive debacle and I think that we have let them off rather lightly.

The introduction of some extra attacking options simply came too late.

Lawrie and Richman were both hugely disappointing, I'm afraid.

Both are out of their depth in Conference Premier. ??? ???

York Alty

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2014, 01:14:54 PM »

First game for me this season.  Gateshead ran the game from the back, mostly very composed pairing that we failed to challenge enough.  In retrospect I think Lee will regret leaving Perry on the bench for so long, it was when he came on in the last few minutes that we did challenge their defence. Somebody else mentioned the midfield where they were quicker to the ball, and smarter with it.  We didn't have the answers yesterday, so whilst we'd have probably won playing a BSN team last year we were a good 25% short  V Gateshead.  All afternoon it looked like that could move u pa gear or two and we couldn't.  We need more support for Reeves, more possession and more bite in midfield. 

The next three games are big!

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2014, 01:31:03 PM »

Agreed V-O-D

Replace them (and Moult) with a couple more like Sean Williams and we would be flying.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:32:35 PM by AFC56 »

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 03:21:20 PM »

And, of course, three or four games is more than sufficient to write off a player?

Those of a certain vintage may recall a good number of years ago John King introducing a young player who was also condemned as not good enough after very few appearances in a higher league than he had been used to

That players name - Nicky Daws

Don;t be so swift to condemn / write off a player please?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2014, 05:54:21 PM »

And, of course, three or four games is more than sufficient to write off a player?

Those of a certain vintage may recall a good number of years ago John King introducing a young player who was also condemned as not good enough after very few appearances in a higher league than he had been used to

That players name - Nicky Daws

Don;t be so swift to condemn / write off a player please?

Phil,

Whilst I can see the point that you are trying to make, I don't think that using Nicky Daws constitutes a like-for-like comparison in this particular instance.

If I recall correctly, Nicky Daws was just 18 years old when he made his Alty debut, having joined us from Flixton.

The likes of James Lawrie (aged 23) and Simon Richman (aged 24) both played at a higher level of football (Port Vale) prior to their arrival at Moss Lane.

Plus both of those characters are now in their fourth season with the Robins and have three campaigns in the Conference North under their belt.

For my part, I wasn't writing either of those players off but rather merely observing that, to my mind, neither of them had performed well against Gateshead.

In Lawrie's defence, I would point out that playing him on the left wing hasn't worked for three seasons.....and, lo and behold, it didn't succeed yet again yesterday.

In Richman's defence, I believe that his best performances for Alty have come as a central midfielder and he simply isn't anywhere near as effective when he's played out on the right wing.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2014, 05:56:55 PM »

Too negative, for me.

The best that we could have hoped for with that starting formation was to have restricted them to a goalless draw.

Once we had conceded a goal, that plan had gone out of the window.

They came to us on the back of a defensive debacle and I think that we have let them off rather lightly.

The introduction of some extra attacking options simply came too late.

Lawrie and Richman were both hugely disappointing, I'm afraid.

Barry, you've just taken the wind out of my sails. For once I was going to praise Sinnott's team selection, his formation and his substitutions. This may be the only time this occurs this season but given that the team which basically selected itself on Saturday was so poor, I thought it needed a radical rethink to try and get something out of today.

This was radical and it nearly came off (well, sort of!). If we'd played today the way we did and with same team as on Saturday, albeit with the addition of Cavanagh, I would had criticised Sinnott as usual, but no, he surprised me and I have to take my hat off to him, excruciatingly painful though that is.

I'm sure we'll be back agreeing on things soon!

A Sinnott blunder is but a game away.

Ray,

You clearly suffered a touch of delayed sunstroke caused by standing on that open end at Southport last Saturday.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 why