News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lee's Little Black Book

Author Topic: Lee's Little Black Book  (Read 2311 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Lee's Little Black Book
« on: October 02, 2014, 08:51:37 AM »

...I've observed a few comments on other threads, so I'll start a new one.

How much do we think Lee's geographical location (and as such, his NW contact book) is hindering us from freshening up the team as required throughout the season?  Or is it simply a budget thing (i.e. no free wages combined with a point-blank refusal to release anyone currently on the books)?

Observe Keith Hill at Rochdale and David Flitcroft at Bury - both done well in relatively young managerial careers (and best mates to boot). I bet a large proportion of their success has been down to the fact they're 'Northwest Journeymen' that can pick up the phone at the drop of a hat, and get things done.

From following Rochdale to a certain degree (hence recommending signing Cav this summer), off the top of my head I know 3 other lads on the fringes of their first team that are worth enquiring re: loans. Bury signed 2 starting XIs this season (hence why they'll probably be in administration again in 12 months), there will be lads there as well.

I'm not saying we necessarily get anyone now, but just wondered - have we ever contacted these people? As pointed out with the Oldham lad at Alfreton, surely these are the clubs we should tie in with as much as possible?

We make it all sound so easy don't we!  I'd just LOVE another Shotton to walk through the door, that's all.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Lee's Little Black Book
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 08:55:32 AM »

Despite Tuesdays win we do need to freshen things up a bit with a couple of loan signings imo

Randy Konk

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 01:18:14 PM »

Pertinent points. Having just read Lee's interview from after the game on Tuesday and having been impressed when he's spoken to supporters etc, there is much that impresses me about him as a manager and some of the values he holds.

The task of staying up this year is difficult and anything we can do to attract players to Moss Lane has got to be a good thing. I do wonder myself how many contacts he stil has in the game (particularly in non league circles) I guess this might have been discussed whe he was interviewewd for the job.

If we can develop our contacts and scouting networks - surely we'd be in a better position but I have to admit to being ignorant about how we might do this -  Is the manager solely responsible? should we rely on volunteers or people like Marple Alty to suggest players? (I think Cavanagh is a great addition by the way)

Defintely something the club needs to look at if we're not soucing suitable talent through the youth and reserve sides

...I've observed a few comments on other threads, so I'll start a new one.

How much do we think Lee's geographical location (and as such, his NW contact book) is hindering us from freshening up the team as required throughout the season?  Or is it simply a budget thing (i.e. no free wages combined with a point-blank refusal to release anyone currently on the books)?

Observe Keith Hill at Rochdale and David Flitcroft at Bury - both done well in relatively young managerial careers (and best mates to boot). I bet a large proportion of their success has been down to the fact they're 'Northwest Journeymen' that can pick up the phone at the drop of a hat, and get things done.

From following Rochdale to a certain degree (hence recommending signing Cav this summer), off the top of my head I know 3 other lads on the fringes of their first team that are worth enquiring re: loans. Bury signed 2 starting XIs this season (hence why they'll probably be in administration again in 12 months), there will be lads there as well.

I'm not saying we necessarily get anyone now, but just wondered - have we ever contacted these people? As pointed out with the Oldham lad at Alfreton, surely these are the clubs we should tie in with as much as possible?

We make it all sound so easy don't we!  I'd just LOVE another Shotton to walk through the door, that's all.

markecky

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 01:37:54 PM »

When Lee was appointed he said he wanted to bring an assistant in who was based and had worked around the Northwest and appointed Neil Tolson.  

Ian Senior also knows a lot of contacts in the Northwest as well through his career and kit company.

Contacts are very important in the game but in these days of non league players having agents all wanting their fees you also get offered a lot of players as well.

I think a scouting network will be a little beyond our budget but i know we have a couple of people who watch future opponents for us and I am sure they will also be tasked with noticing any talent as well.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 01:53:55 PM by markecky »

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 07:03:55 PM »

Well, I'm an executive recruitment consultant by trade, and combined with my love for all things grass roots, if Alty paid me expenses I'd be happy to go and have a look around games :)

In fact, if they paid me a decent full-time salary I'd map the whole region - and throw in some Business Development / Marketing for good measure!

Expecting a PM from the club any moment now...

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 07:17:20 PM »

Altrincham fc have had people scouting for them for years i know Paul Brady does it as well as
others
@AltyDaz

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 11:50:13 PM »

I'd just LOVE another Shotton to walk through the door, that's all.

I think we would all like another three or four of Shotton's quality (preferably our own players rather than loanees) spread throughout the team.......unfortunately that season Ryan Shotton was unable to prevent the team finishing in a relegation place, albeit maybe one or two good addition to this squad may be all that is needed
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lee's Little Black Book