PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Top 3 Rivalries
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Top 3 Rivalries  (Read 21075 times)

York Alty

Re: Top 3 Rivalries
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 05:51:37 PM »

It's more like Macc, County and Stalybridge now.
No it's not

No rivalry with County or Stalybridge

And why would we have to consider FCUM and Droylsden - ludicrus

We've had a long term low level rivalry with Stalybridge for years in my opinion.  County - very close, and at or about level so I think there is a growing rivalry with them.  It lacks history but it's there and may well develop in the same way that Vics and Runcorn withered.

Droylesden - played them to often in recent years for my liking with some antagonism.  Deliberately prepared crap pitch with grass to the ankle and comments from Pace about "glad we're playing them again as I do like to meet our friends from Alty" - with tongue firmly in cheek as we were relegated.

Take Dave Pace out of the equation and Droylsden would be another Mossley, Hyde or Ashton who we have no real feeling for.  The antagonism was never the club but Pace.  The only way we will develop a rivalry with County (or Chester) is if we play them more but yes the future rivalry potential is there.  It isn't really one right now though.

Stalybridge to a degree because they are local and we have played them quite a lot, but they have their own rivals really.  I would sort of say Barrow for the similar reasons, even Southport perhaps if pushed.  But that's creating rivals for the sake of it.

Not in the same class as Vics, Runcorn or Macc

Absolutely.  Steeped in history.

Jenga

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 06:54:45 PM »

1) Hinckley
2) Dover
3) Unicorn

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 07:49:54 PM »

1) Northwich Victoria
2) Macclesfield Town
3) Wycombe Wanderers
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 08:48:50 PM »

1) Hinckley
2) Dover
3) Unicorn
It's posts like this that are dragging this forum from a place where one can exchange a range of views and feelings on football to one of anarchy

Please act now administrators
ParkINson's red and white army

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 08:51:05 PM »

1. maccelsfield
2. Northwich
3. Chester
ParkINson's red and white army

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 09:47:04 PM »

Instinctively, I said, Macc, Vics and Wigan (in that order) but having read through the replies, I'd have to agree that the latics couldn't give a monkeys about us now so they're out of the equation.
After a great deal more thought, I decided that although quite a few teams get on my nerves, none would qualify for 'rivalry' status so I'd have to say only two rivalries remain ... the milkmen and the slime.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Baldrick

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 09:54:42 PM »

The reason I mentioned FCUM is because nobody I have met at Altrincham has a good word to say about them. The trouble at the pre season friendly a few years ago still angers a lot of people.

Hamilton

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 10:38:12 PM »

Even pacey has become more sensible in recent years. To me the 3rd rivalry is Staleybridge.

GB Alty

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 11:24:07 PM »

The reason I mentioned FCUM is because nobody I have met at Altrincham has a good word to say about them. The trouble at the pre season friendly a few years ago still angers a lot of people.
I don't think anyone's arsed

York Alty

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 11:53:16 PM »

1) Hinckley
2) Dover
3) Unicorn

Wise words!

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 12:09:21 AM »

Might I offer an alternative list for Southern Exiles:

1. Crawley (town, club, people. Everything)

2. Stevenage (crap day out, lacks good pubs. Paul Merson treated like a demi-god in the bar one time).

3. And a new entrant, Barnet. Can't possibly think why.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 12:09:32 AM »

I think a lot of who you consider rivals is dependent on who the big games are against when you first properly start supporting Alty.

I know it's pretty much sacrilegious but I had always considered Northwich bigger rivals than Macc. Having never seen us play Macc they felt more like some mysterious boogeyman rather than an actual rival. However now Northwich are nothing (which is actually quite sad) I can see why Macc are now top of the pile.

After that I've always considered Southport and Barrow as decent rivals, both clubs with a similar history to our own and always bring decent support with them. The matches don't have the needle of derby matches but we've had some cracking games with both sides in the league and cup.

However, the weird thing is I don't actually have anything against either Southport and Barrow. I enjoy it when we beat them but I don't actively dislike them. There seems like there should be another category that aren't exactly rivals but you do really sort of despise them.

Into this category go Accrington Stanley - possibly the most wanky fans there are, so up themselves that they make FCUM look relatively modest. Tamworth - the games against them were always horrible, Heathcote didn't help things with his constant arguments with their fans in the shed but really quite a knobbish club. Kettering Town - massive ideas above their station, seem to think that because the town turns out when they're lop of the league they're sleeping giants.

However, I am willing to admit that my views on Accrington, Tamworth and Kettering might just be the result of paying too much attention to some knobs on the internet.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Jezza

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »

As there are two northwichs id go
1) MACC
2) NORTHWICH
3) NORTHWICH ;D

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 12:02:28 PM »

1) Hinckley
2) Dover
3) Unicorn

Wise words!
I thought that was part of the shipping forecast, to be followed by Dogger, Fisher, German Bight. :-\

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 12:39:34 PM »

Macclesfield
Northwich
Stalybridge

Stalybridge and Northwich very very close.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Top 3 Rivalries