PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Top 3 Rivalries
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Top 3 Rivalries  (Read 20920 times)

Hamilton

Re: Top 3 Rivalries
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 12:50:30 PM »

1) Hinckley
2) Dover
3) Unicorn

Wise words!
I thought that was part of the shipping forecast, to be followed by Dogger, Fisher, German Bight. :-\

Does Stan Collymore play for them?

Beaver

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 05:27:46 PM »

Macc
Vics
Witton or Runcorn

Beaver

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 05:29:32 PM »

Macclesfield
Northwich
Stalybridge

Stalybridge and Northwich very very close.

Stalybridge and Vics close? You're a bit rusty sir. I can't compare the hatred I have for Vics to the mere passive agression I have for vegas.

arnald

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 05:35:44 PM »

macc
vicks
Runcorn
witon
wigan
stockport

arnald

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 05:37:08 PM »

macc
vicks
Runcorn
witon
wigan
stockport
sorry that's 6 of all time  ;D

Baldrick

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 05:47:50 PM »

Kettering Town - massive ideas above their station, seem to think that because the town turns out when they're lop of the league they're sleeping giants.

Not exactly sleeping giants but the fact that the whole town turns up when they are doing well suggests they have the potential to become giants if they ever make it to the big time. A better reason to hate them is the little known fact that they are responsible for every team now having an advert plastered across their chest. Derek Dougan fully deserved that slap he got at the Den back in the good old days.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 06:03:44 PM »

I think a lot of who you consider rivals is dependent on who the big games are against when you first properly start supporting Alty.

However, the weird thing is I don't actually have anything against either Southport and Barrow. I enjoy it when we beat them but I don't actively dislike them. There seems like there should be another category that aren't exactly rivals but you do really sort of despise them.

For those who began watching Alty in the 1960s or 1970s, the big derby was always against Macc (usually involving playing them on Boxing Day and New Year's Day).

Owing to Macc's failure to qualify for the Alliance Premier League for the 1979/80 season, the green slime of Vics emerged to become our bête noire (notably assisted by the heinous Jeff Forshaw).

Macc didn't attain promotion into the then GM Vauxhall Conference until the 1987/88 season.

As regards teams from afar who you loathe, well, any Alty supporter who watched the Robins during the 1970s would surely add Boston United to that particular list of infamy.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 06:24:27 PM »

I think we also have crap memories of Boston from the 80's (cheating bastards in trophy semi) and 90's (ask Leroy Chambers)

York Alty

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 06:47:48 PM »

I think we also have crap memories of Boston from the 80's (cheating bastards in trophy semi) and 90's (ask Leroy Chambers)

GOOD CALL. Inbred T**ts from an ar5ehole of a town.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 06:48:52 PM »

No one metioned Colwyn Bay after recent visits
@AltyDaz

arnald

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 07:08:41 PM »

a few miles away from alty that one daz

thegazelle

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 07:23:56 PM »

in my prime i would have said

vics
macc
runcorn

witton never been an issue as we both have  a mutual hatred of all things green

tameside teams a little bit irritating but no real rivalry

hates ... kettering dating back many years

York Alty

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 07:49:41 PM »

a few miles away from alty that one daz

Bay started to irritate me, but I never see them as rivals. A valid point raised earlier about Droylesden being predominantly down to Dave Pace and most of the bad feeling re. Colwyn Bay  is all about Frank Sinclair and his obnoxious behaviour.

Jimmy

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 08:31:55 PM »

Kettering Town - massive ideas above their station, seem to think that because the town turns out when they're lop of the league they're sleeping giants.

Not exactly sleeping giants but the fact that the whole town turns up when they are doing well suggests they have the potential to become giants if they ever make it to the big time. A better reason to hate them is the little known fact that they are responsible for every team now having an advert plastered across their chest. Derek Dougan fully deserved that slap he got at the Den back in the good old days.
It's was Kettering tyres I think

eightiesrobin

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 08:41:42 PM »

Yes, I have never seen a victory over Boston. After losing the trophy semi-final in 1985, I decided not to bother going to the last league game of the season against Boston. IIRC a 7-2 win.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Top 3 Rivalries