PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ched Evans
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ched Evans  (Read 10693 times)

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Ched Evans
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 01:05:48 AM »

This will quite likely get some sort of reaction but personally I don't think he should be allowed back into the game

Just an opinion

Why?

Because of what he did. Irrespective of his pleas of innocence, what Beaver says is correct - he did something. Disturbingly he exploited his celebrity to gain sexual gratification at the expense of another and that, for my money, is a total no no (and yes I know others have and continue to do it but  that don't make it right)

Would you allow Stuart Hall, Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris etc to resume their careers with access to people similar to those they were convicted of abusing?

If the review finds that he is innocent of ANY wrongdoing then I'd reconsider.

I know that due to his conviction he would not be able to coach or Referee so I don't really see why he should be allowed to play...maybe once the whole sentence period is expired  plus some but i stick to my views

He didn't exploit his celebrity, the whole case was built around the fact that the girl didn't have a clue what was going on. If she couldn't consent to sex I doubt she had the faintest idea who Ched Evans was.

As for 'giving him access to people he was abusing' all the people you mention were serial offenders who undertook this kind of behaviour over a number of years. Ched Evans has only done this once. If your game is taking advantage of girls too drunk to say no it doesn't really matter weather you work in the sewers or are a footballer, if you want to do it it isn't that difficult.

As an aside it's interesting that lots of people seem to suggest that the man should never be allowed to work with kids. I'm not sure there's any reason to think he is a danger to children.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

GB Alty

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 02:09:17 AM »

Because he is a sex offender - so he can't work with children by law

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 09:55:50 AM »

Well yes, I'm just questioning whether, given the nature of his crime, it's reasonable to stop him coaching 17 year old lads.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 10:26:20 AM »

I accept that people will disagree with my post

As I said it was just a personal view - one I have held since his conviction and will continue to hold for the foreseeable future.

Good job I'm not in charge of the Country I suppose

taxi Phil

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 01:18:04 PM »

I accept that people will disagree with my post

As I said it was just a personal view - one I have held since his conviction and will continue to hold for the foreseeable future.

Good job I'm not in charge of the Country I suppose

You couldn't possibly be worse than Cameron !

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 01:59:45 PM »

if someone that worked in a factory(they used to have them in Broadheath) was convicted of rape after he had served his sentance he would be free to start working again,so why not in football,its not as though sheffield untide are a top team anymore,so yes i would take him on.
Harold

Beaver

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 02:45:04 PM »

if someone that worked in a factory(they used to have them in Broadheath) was convicted of rape after he had served his sentance he would be free to start working again,so why not in football,its not as though sheffield untide are a top team anymore,so yes i would take him on.

My main feeling is that he hasn't served his sentence, he's served half of it. He is now serving the rest on licence or whatever terms it is, or at least he should be. So, for me there's another 2 years or so until he should be allowed to play football again. In the meantime there are still factories around, i'm sure one of them is hiring.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 02:45:26 PM »

If he's innocent fair enough, but if he's guilty I would no more employ him as a decorator, plumber, footballer, anything. How can you look someone in the eye on a daily basis, knowing what they have done? You tarnish the name of the company by employing someone like that in my book. Once a rapist, always a rapist. In years gone by, they'd have whipped off his nads and hung them from a tree. If guilty, he deserves no compassion.

Neither him, nor his family, have covered themselves in glory over this, regardless of guilt.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

brian1925

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 03:38:57 PM »

He shouldn't play a spectator sport of any sort until he has cleared his name. If he manages to do that, then fair play to the man.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 07:17:29 PM »

If you work in a factory, or a warehouse, or on a building site, then you are pretty much anonymous to the customer (although of course not colleagues) so it is easier to get back into society and work.

If you are a professional footballer, then you are performing to a paying audience.  You have a public profile, can be a role model and attract fans.  If you were an actor, DJ or TV presenter and were convicted of rape your career would be over in an instant.  The same should apply to footballers too. 

And Sheffield United are still a well supported club, they get about 17-20,000 on average over the last few years despite their decline and get TV coverage every week.  Hardly Sunday League stuff.

Jimmy

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 08:11:38 PM »

Regardless of him being a footballer I think a lot on here are damming someone who it's not a open and shut case is guilty of rape

GB Alty

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 08:21:32 PM »

Regardless of him being a footballer I think a lot on here are damming someone who it's not a open and shut case is guilty of rape
you think he innocent?

Jimmy

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 08:36:21 PM »

Not sure uday to be honest if he is he shouldev stayed inside for life and this should not even be a debate

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 10:31:13 PM »

It's getting some attention. He's being portrayed as as vital as John Charles or ian Rush.

He's a 19 goal a season league 1 journeyman centre forward.

As for the hypothetical question of him at Alty. No, on account of him coming across as a bit of a T**t to be honest.

Also, if the first XI were the only team then it might be a different debate slightly but if as a club on the whole you are including things like the girls team of 17/18 year olds then it would be a bit off to have him as a major player at the club.

Generally though, you have to go by the principles that the jury's verdict must be respected and if a person does their time then they should be free to work. Whether the sentence was harsh enough is an entirely different matter.

York Alty

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 09:49:58 AM »

Well yes, I'm just questioning whether, given the nature of his crime, it's reasonable to stop him coaching 17 year old lads.

17 year olds are children in terms of child safeguarding. That is laid down in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child Part 1, Article 1  unless local laws say otherwise, and UK law does not say otherwise.  He is barred from that level of work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ched Evans