PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Our badge
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Our badge  (Read 16767 times)

bumble

Our badge
« on: October 24, 2014, 07:32:13 PM »

Been working on a few bits and bobs for the sports hall, and working with a few designers who aren't fans and they're suprised at the badge.

I know many clubs go under badge re designs in order to maintain copyright (arsenal) or to just freshen up. And many new badges are poor and look very tacky.

However is the badge an issue commercially?  Surely a simpler more modern badge would allow better and cheaper merchandise?  Or at least improve the margins on it. It contains about 5/6 colours too. I was quoted an extra 90 quid to put our crest on a flag a few years back

With all the great of field stuff we do, would a new more modern design freshen the feelings associated with the club. It looks extremely old fashioned in my view.

Also would fans be completely against a badge design review?

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
Re: Our badge
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 07:57:56 PM »

Great post and idea

Would a more modern and simplistic version of the crest work?  Keeps it fresh but still with a traditional feel.

Alas my artistic skills are appalling...

GB Alty

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 08:09:22 PM »

Great post and idea

Would a more modern and simplistic version of the crest work?  Keeps it fresh but still with a traditional feel.

Alas my artistic skills are appalling...
No - our badge is our heritage

Changing our badge is very Stevenage - do you want a cringe worthy motto as well or maybe even worse booming music after every goal scored?

markecky

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 08:14:19 PM »

The badge is the towns charter badge created in 1937.

From a history of Altrincham book I quote :

" The new arms of the borough of Altrincham are as simple and distinctive as possible, the shield therefore is not overloaded.  The two wheatsheaves allude to agriculture and farming and the simple wheel symbolises the towns engineering industries. The crest shows a lion similar to that of the lion of England and supports a banner on which is a cornucopia the emblem of abundance.  The unicorn carries the shield of the Earl of Stamford whilst the Lion carries the arms of the Earl of Massey.  The compartment on which they stand has red white and blue flowers to signify the market gardening activities of the borough.  The motto of "Altrincham en avant" translates to "Altrincham leads the way"

Doesn't answer the question like but I'd be interested to know when we adopted the current badge as I am sure for many years we used the robin that you can see at the top of this program, probably for the reasons you state Jack.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 08:18:03 PM »

I have absolutely no emotional connection to our badge, which tells its own story. It is too fiddly - how many of us knew (before Ecky's post) what it actually depicts? I didn't. I think a new logo, as long as it was simple, clean and elegant, would be a great thing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:19:59 PM by Leon »

GB Alty

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 08:19:13 PM »

Boom boom - go Team Alty!!!

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 08:20:49 PM »

Conflating a change of logo with playing music after goals is completely senseless.

Jimmy

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 08:37:36 PM »

I wouldn't want us to have a new badge though I am a traditionalist and like ecky says we haven't had it that long its the crest of the town
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:44:04 PM by Jimmy »

Shimpa

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 08:39:14 PM »

It's a tough one. I like the crest but wouldn't be against a new one if it was nice enough but It'd take a lot to convince me.  :)

ripleym

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 08:42:01 PM »

Maybe create a competition to design a new badge?  Jolly would definitely win the under 8 section ;-)

GB Alty

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »

Maybe create a competition to design a new badge?  Jolly would definitely win the under 8 section ;-)

Boom boom - go Team Alty!!!

And it's soccer not football

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 08:51:37 PM »

We didn't use it regularly on our shirts until 1992/3.  it is also the logo of the altrincham removals company. Interesting too that is was created as a symbol for the town well after the club was founded.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 08:56:16 PM »

I have absolutely no emotional connection to our badge, which tells its own story. It is too fiddly - how many of us knew (before Ecky's post) what it actually depicts? I didn't. I think a new logo, as long as it was simple, clean and elegant, would be a great thing.

Agreed.

Whilst there is something in keeping things purely for the sake of tradition and maintaining a connection with the past. However, I think there's nothing wrong with exploring other possibilities.

It could be quite exciting - invite fans to submit their designs and people could vote for either keeping things the same or for changing.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

GB Alty

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 09:05:05 PM »

Agreed.

Whilst there is something in keeping things purely for the sake of tradition and maintaining a connection with the past. However, I think there's nothing wrong with exploring other possibilities.

It could be quite exciting - invite fans to submit their designs and people could vote for either keeping things the same or for changing.
Fair point

I think we should change the name of the club as well - no point in keeping things for the sake of tradition. And as you say this could be quite exciting

My suggestion is Team Alty Robins of Cheshire, what do you think?

Boom boom

Pass me a coke dude

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 09:06:32 PM »

i like the crest and would want to keep it - but all for moving with the times of course

In life change is invetable sadly and its also critical for survial - if you dont change and adapt you will fail

I know i have contradicted my self but i do like the crest
ParkINson's red and white army
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Our badge