PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Our badge
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Our badge  (Read 16671 times)

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Our badge
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2014, 03:15:41 AM »

I have absolutely no emotional connection to our badge, which tells its own story. It is too fiddly - how many of us knew (before Ecky's post) what it actually depicts? I didn't. I think a new logo, as long as it was simple, clean and elegant, would be a great thing.

Agreed.

Whilst there is something in keeping things purely for the sake of tradition and maintaining a connection with the past. However, I think there's nothing wrong with exploring other possibilities.

It could be quite exciting - invite fans to submit their designs and people could vote for either keeping things the same or for changing.
Fair point

I think we should change the name of the club as well - no point in keeping things for the sake of tradition. And as you say this could be quite exciting

My suggestion is Team Alty Robins of Cheshire, what do you think?

Boom boom

Pass me a coke dude

Quite an amazing straw man there!

Although you actually illustrate the point quite well - changing the name of the club would be silly, any poll would have keeping Altrincham as our name at about 99%. I'm not quite sure that would be the same for our badge...

As for the link between the club and the town, to maintain a link it doesn't require an exact replica. Perhaps the a new design could incorporate elements of the current badge?

Also, given the fact that the club crest has only existed since 1938 that means we went nearly forty years without it! At some point it would have been new and 'against tradition', perhaps it should never have been adopted?

WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Jimmy

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2014, 06:01:00 AM »

Yes but the fact that we didn't have a badge before it says it wasn't breaking tradition Am I right in thinking in 1991 we nearly became the only football leauge club without a badge

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2014, 06:43:12 AM »

I think the current badge is broken. It isn't distinctively ours, it was created for the whole town well after we were founded, we haven't always used it publicly even in the last 30 years and it is also the logo of a removals company.

Why not have a poll among the fans? If most want to keep it then fair enough.
you not proud of the town emblem? You think there is a disconnect between the town and the club? You don't want the town emblem associated with the club?

Pitiful if you ask me - and fair play to Altrincham removals for having pride in the town and what it means

How can we expect the town to back us when we show it such scant respect

Shameful

So by your reckoning, unless a football club uses the town crest, it isn't proud of it's town?  Plenty of clubs don't, yet they seem to be ambassadors for the town, have community links, help put the place on the map.   We're building a big, expensive hall for the community aren't we?  Doesn't that say something?

When city crest ditching, tacky 70s design wearing Nottingham Forest were winning the league, European Cups, other trophies, putting the city's name in headlines around the world, having bus parades, civic receptions and doing more for that city's national and international reputation than most had ever done before, was it shameful?  Had they disconnected from the place?  Shown scant respect?

At this club's peak, when we were making headlines, winning things, getting our best crowds, going to Wembley or the famous grounds, were we bothering to wear the badge on our shirt (when plenty of others clubs were)?  No.  Did it mean we weren't proud of the town?  Did we not care?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:09:49 AM by Bob »

Jimmy

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2014, 07:25:34 AM »

Fair point but in my opinion something like that devel on uniteds kit looks very tacky as does the new city one anyway let's get rid of badge to showcase jacks work
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:27:50 AM by Jimmy »

bumble

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2014, 08:22:25 AM »

Fair point but in my opinion something like that devel on uniteds kit looks very tacky as does the new city one anyway let's get rid of badge to showcase jacks work

I didn't say I personally wanted to be involved in any re design. I was merely posting the question. And quite frankly it isnt all about me me me and showcasing my work. Winning 3 international awards (and 2 in America) last year probably did that better than design a crest for a club that lot of people who work in Manchester haven't heard of.

Jimmy

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2014, 09:14:29 AM »

Fair play on your talent but in my opinion if you designed the new  badge of the club it would mean more than other rewards

Alty-J

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2014, 10:01:51 AM »

Once you change the badge it's a slippery slope, might aswell change the name & move into a new ground. Badge is tradition and heritage; it's one of the nicer looking badges in the league, it's classy, unlike other teams e.g Halifax or Braintree. When I see our much nicer coat of arms against everyone else's, ours always looks better not at all cheap or tacky like others. Goes without saying that I like every fan am
All for opening up revenue streams for the club but not at the cost of destroying tradition.if it ain't broke don't fix it

Number 23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2014, 10:25:08 AM »

Not quite sure why people think the current badge is 'traditional'. When I started watching Alty in the late 60s they - like most clubs - didn't have any badge on the shirts.
Badges started to be used more widely in the 70s so that clubs could make their shirts unique to their club rather than being generic. It was and is a marketing and commercial ploy so that the clubs could make money from selling replica kits.

There are clubs who have had a badge on their shirts since they were formed in the late 1800s and they regularly change the badges without any issues. My local club, Portsmouth, have regularly changed the badge design over the past 40 years. Their (very passionate) fans don't have any more issue with it then they do with the changes to the shirt design. Some like it, some hate it but at the end of the day they just get over it and move on.

The starting premise for this thread seemed to be that a simpler design might be cheaper to produce and so I assume would help teh club to make more money - just as new shirt designs do.

PS. If you want talk traditional lets get the red shorts back!

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2014, 10:35:40 AM »

It's odd that people didn't seem to think changing the name of our ground was such a terrible break with tradition, especially considering Moss Lane has been part of our history for much longer than this badge.

Jimmy

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2014, 10:37:11 AM »

To be honest jimmy I think that's a dreadful idea aswell

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2014, 10:38:59 AM »

To be honest jimmy I think that's a dreadful idea aswell

Agreed, I know we got cash for it and we can all still call it Moss Lane but it is a bit sad.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2014, 12:08:00 PM »

The ground was never really called Moss Lane though was it? Everyone one just called it that because it didn't have any other name.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2014, 01:41:50 PM »

The ground was never really called Moss Lane though was it? Everyone one just called it that because it didn't have any other name.
Most 'Names' are like that.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

markecky

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2014, 10:47:25 PM »

If we would have turned down the money from Davidsons to rename the ground in the media and in print when every fan would and does still call it Moss Lane then it would have been outrageous. It would also be commercial suicide when every penny is needed to get in and stay in this league.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2014, 08:44:17 PM »

If we would have turned down the money from Davidsons to rename the ground in the media and in print when every fan would and does still call it Moss Lane then it would have been outrageous. It would also be commercial suicide when every penny is needed to get in and stay in this league.
I can't see how any right-thinking person could possibly disagree with you.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Our badge