PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 £10,000 Needed To Finish The Job!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: £10,000 Needed To Finish The Job!  (Read 55111 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: £10,000 Needed To Finish The Job!
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2014, 07:36:14 PM »

I think unfortunately a lot of Barry's excellent points have been overlooked here due to the comment on the volunteers, I didn't agree with those. Pretty much the rest of what was said was spot on though i thought.

I don't sit in the main stand so this isn't really my argument but out of intrigue (some might call it sadness) i had a mooch around the main stand after the Bristol Rovers game earlier in the season, after noticing that the view now looked a bit iffy. For those interested on the top row of the stand you have to go 10 seats in from the corner of the stand to catch even a glimpse of the golf road goal posts. A fairly large portion now have a restricted view. I'd certainly disagree that only 80% of seats are uneffected. I also take the comments on board that we don't have a full main stand that often, but in this league its busy enough often enough, especially for big games and i find it rather embarrasing that any newcomers (or regulars for that matter) to the club would pay £15 for a big game and would be forced to sit up there.

The argument that people can "just go and sit somewhere else" really isn't good enough either. As noted earlier, football fans are as has been noted creatures of habit, on the Golf Road End i have a place i like to stand, i'd be furious if somebody dumped an obsticle in the way and said similar. I don't hand over £250 lightly every June. Yes we want to bring new people into the fold but the club must never forget the loyal hardcore, and its those (us) that ultimately are its most important customers. We were here in the bad old days and will no doubt be here for years to come. As a business, the club should never take this for granted though and fobbing people off is unnacceptable.

I would be very suprised if anybody connected with the club didn't want the CSH to be a roaring success but this does show a giant lack of forsight on the part of those involved with the planning. If the club was aware from the outset that a number of views would be restricted then its really poor form to adopt an attitude to just not mention it when people spent good money buying season tickets, poor form at best and i do think it merits an apology as a minimum

Anyway those are just my ramblings, an opinion. Sure many will disagree. Please do not interpret that any of these as anti-CSH, anti-board or anti anything else because they're not.

As it goes, i'm somewhat uncomfortable with going to the well again to the same old fans five weeks before Christmas for money so won't be contributing, especially whilst so soon and still somewhat bitter from the fa cup debacle (despite the 2 decent results since). The players should dip into their pockets. To those of you that do however, more power to you. I salute you.

Beez,

Many thanks for your informed, eloquent and supportive words on the issue of the restricted view seats in the Main Stand.

Very much appreciated.

Barry.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2014, 09:44:41 PM »

This may sound simplistic but couldn't they have pitched the roof the other way?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2014, 09:31:13 AM »

This may sound simplistic but couldn't they have pitched the roof the other way?

if they had have done that any ball landing on roof would roll back into the ground and not over the wall!
Full time and proud of it

Jenga

« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2014, 12:22:23 PM »

if they had have done that any ball landing on roof would roll back into the ground and not over the wall!

Sounds great, we would lose so many balls that way, a game i was at the other week the club lost 2 balls within like 10 mins in the allotments where scrotes ran off with them, at £100 a ball that is a lot of money.

GB Alty

« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2014, 01:23:24 PM »

Sounds great, we would lose so many balls that way, a game i was at the other week the club lost 2 balls within like 10 mins in the allotments where scrotes ran off with them, at £100 a ball that is a lot of money.
would we lose anymore than when there was nothing there? Or any more than any other part of the ground?

Ashley Alty

« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2014, 02:55:53 PM »

Insert Quote
Quote from: Jenga on Today at 12:22:23 PM
Quote from: robininstockport on Today at 09:31:13 AM
Quote from: SW on Yesterday at 09:44:41 PM

would we lose anymore than when there was nothing there? Or any more than any other part of the ground?
Posted on: Today at 12:22:23 PM Posted by: Jenga

I can see at least 6 balls in the Moss Lane side guttering of the main stand - there's £600!!!!

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2014, 03:00:14 PM »

£600 for 6 footballs ?

Where do you shop ?

Have you tried Sports Direct ?

Ashley Alty

« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2014, 03:04:14 PM »

It was Jenga who said they were £100 each.  Perhaps we should find some kids to climb up and get them - they manage to find golf balls on the links and sell them to golfers :-)

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2014, 11:10:33 PM »

£600 for 6 footballs ?

Where do you shop ?

No of course not , who can afford it or risk going out when I might be called in to my zero hours contract job on minimum wage

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2014, 12:35:06 AM »

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3PKWVnCQAAIA01.jpg

This one's for Cult  ;D

eightiesrobin,

Apologies, I forgot to thank you for your kind thought.

Believe me, there were times when Michael Twiss was wearing an Altrincham shirt that I would have been quite happy to have been allocated such a restricted view of the pitch.....

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2014, 10:08:57 AM »

This one's for Cult  ;D

eightiesrobin,

Believe me, there were times when Michael Twiss was wearing an Altrincham shirt that I would have been quite happy to have been allocated such a restricted view of the pitch.....

I believe everybody got a restricted view of the pitch when Michael Twiss was on it !! 

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2014, 07:04:01 PM »

This one's for Cult  ;D

eightiesrobin,

I believe everybody got a restricted view of the pitch when Michael Twiss was on it !! 

Very true, Paul!

And don't anybody now dare to make any derogatory remarks whatsoever about that magnificent physical specimen Mister Tunnacliffe......

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2014, 06:53:01 PM »

Nobody else has said so yet, so I will say that it is a bit unfair to take a swipe at Brian Flynn for having a "free seat in the gantry"......Most, if not all those in the gantry, are doing 'media' work for the club and its supporters i.e Radio Robins and Alty TV.

Mick,

Some people will no doubt disagree with my thoughts on this issue but here goes....

I would make a notable exception regarding Mark from Alty TV (whose laudable work editing and producing highlights goes on well after the final whistle has sounded), however, I would expect the likes of Brian Flynn and John Edwards to have purchased season tickets regardless of their media work for the club.

If that is, indeed, the case, then I apologise for my use of the term 'free' in a previous post.

It has, of course, since been established that Flynny does not have access to an armchair in the gantry.

This is without question one of the saddest posts I have read on this forum in all the years I have taken part in it.

I don't know John Edwards very well, however my meetings with him have always been pleasant and he seems to be getting more and more involved as I believe he has taken early retirement.  I know he is a well respected journalist and just the kind of person we need to assist with the growing press demands of the Conference.  

However I do know Brian very well as a friend of 20 years and a business partner of the last 3-4.  I have personally seen the 20-30 hours a week he puts into our football club, from driving on his own to away games to get there early and stay late for after match interviews, to TASC chairman stuff, organising press requests, being the MC for club events and programme articles, getting to the ground at 11:30 for home games to other stuff that seems to fall in his lap.  

You know this Cult and you do good stuff yourself so you know how the whole volunteer thing works.  There are many more like Brian, without them our club would not even have a chance of staying in this league.

You'll allow Mark Bennett to get in free (rightly, absolutely different class with the Alty TV stuff) but "the likes of Brian Flynn" should pay?

Salt of the earth is Flynny, I never ever thought I would hear anyone speak of him in that manner.  If someone had just told me you wrote that, I wouldn't have believed it.

Ecky,

Sorry for upsetting you, however, I do believe that you have missed my point spectacularly.

All of which, I accept, may well be my fault due to how I wrote that previous post.

By using the term "the likes of Brian Flynn and John Edwards", I was intending to signify Radio Robins people who still get to watch the match uninterrupted.

It was in no way meant to come across as being derogatory.

There was no criticism implied or expressed in my aforementioned post regarding either the capabilities or endeavour of John Edwards or Brian Flynn and I'm genuinely surprised that you would think that I would go down that road.

I've known Brian for many years and have spoken with John Edwards on several occasions and I am fully aware that they both carry out excellent media work on behalf of the club and comprise assets to Altrincham FC.

However, as to my point regarding whether they still ought to  be season ticket holders, then yes, I do think that they should be.

In the highly unlikely event of me ascending to any sort of official position within the club, I would continue to believe that, as a supporter first and foremost, I should still invest in a season ticket for the financial benefit of the club.  

That's just a personal view.

I sincerely hope that helps to clarify my reasoning (even if you still think that I am talking balderdash).

If it still doesn't make sense, please hunt me down on Saturday and we can have a chat.

You could even buy me a G&T like that nice man Bryan Ford.....  

Apologies for dredging up this thread once again, however, I would like to dispel the myth that Ecky and I have endured some sort of spectacular falling-out à la Nigella Lawson and Charles Saatchi (although I'm not quite sure which one of us is Nigella there).

For the record, I enjoyed a perfectly amiable and constructive chat with Ecky prior to last Saturday's home match against Kidderminster Harriers, during which we were both able to clarify a few of the points discussed within this thread.

Ecky acknowledged that he had misinterpreted some aspects of my original post and he now accepts that I was not calling into question or disparaging the work, commitment, abilities or character of either Brian Flynn or John Edwards.  

We agree to disagree regarding that entire season tickets tangent and that is absolutely fine with me, as I never claimed that mine was the definitive answer.

Ecky: I hope that represents a fair account of things.

Once again, sorry for regurgitating this episode but I just wanted to clear matters up.

markecky

« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2014, 11:36:54 AM »

Spot on Barry.  

No issues at all, I took your comments the wrong way and felt the need to say what I said based on them.  

Was hoping I may see you on the way in and, as I explained, I can't get in the bar after games as I have to get my son from my Mums straight from the match as my good lady works Saturdays.

Hamilton

« Reply #134 on: December 05, 2014, 12:58:04 PM »

£600 for 6 footballs ?

Where do you shop ?

If M&S did footballs!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 £10,000 Needed To Finish The Job!