PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Interesting comment from Lee
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interesting comment from Lee  (Read 6072 times)

bumble

« on: November 25, 2014, 10:02:59 AM »

Q: Having got ourselves into bother, it was an incredible turnaround in the second half, wasn’t it?

A: Yes it was, but I’m going to sound like a right miserable old git again, because the way the final few minutes panned out annoyed me. We go 3-2 up, and then what happens? Nine men push us back for the last five minutes and leave us hanging on. I pointed out to the players what the consequence could easily have been.

Let’s say eight of our players and seven of theirs were inside the box when we were defending our goal at the end. That’s 15 players inside the area, as the ball is played in. It only has to hit someone on the backside and fall at one of their players’ feet, and it’s 3-3. How galling would that have been? That is what disappointed me.

Then Why do we bring so many men back for Corners in general. They are unlikely to go man v man on the half way line, Itd give Stu more space to come and command.

eightiesrobin

Re: Interesting comment from Lee
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »

I agree, with all 10 men in the box, there's no-one to pick up the ball when it's cleared, and a big chance it gets pumped back in. It would be good to leave three out for the stray ball IMO

That's what happened for Alfreton's goal recently.  Deflected off Kyle's head and into the net. Not a pop at Kyle, but surely he should have been hanging around the half-way line?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:56:04 AM by eightiesrobin »

York Alty

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:55:02 AM »

Which does lead us back to the question of organising an effective defence, which given Lees career I'm surprised we're not better at.

Jenga

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »

Given Lee's career maybe he knows better than we do. Just saying like.

GB Alty

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 12:45:24 PM »

That's what he thinks and that's why he thinks he can do what he want's - we know nothing compared to him

Jenga

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 12:49:04 PM »

That's what he thinks and that's why he thinks he can do what he want's - we know nothing compared to him

Quite probably correct.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 01:02:04 PM »

I'd like to think that by leaving two up on the half way line we've got more chance of scoring from a breakaway than conceding because there's more space in the penalty area.

York Alty

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 01:04:37 PM »

Quite probably correct.

I'm not questioning Lee knows more about defending (indeed all tactical areas of the game then me but his applying it.

I remain however sure Lee will and Co. will keep us up.

COME ON ALTY.

eightiesrobin

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 01:13:09 PM »

I'd like to think that by leaving two up on the half way line we've got more chance of scoring from a breakaway than conceding because there's more space in the penalty area.

Yes, that's what I was getting at. Even if there is no breakaway, the oppo having to backpedal at least reduces the danger to our goal, so it's a no-lose situation IMO. How many times do we see a half-cleared ball just come straight back because we have no-one to move the ball away?

York Alty

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 01:22:16 PM »

Yes, that's what I was getting at. Even if there is no breakaway, the oppo having to backpedal at least reduces the danger to our goal, so it's a no-lose situation IMO. How many times do we see a half-cleared ball just come straight back because we have no-one to move the ball away?

it's not the first time we've seen this from Alty.  i can recall games going back through the years where we cannot keep the ball and we end up going round in a cycle of defeence.  the onus has to be on ways of breaking that cos in the end pressure and continually chasing the ball is going to tell.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »

I know it's not fashionable to be a fan of route one, but my favourite sort of goal is when the ball is lashed out of defence and the man up front takes just one or two touches to stick the ball in the net. Colin Little was the master.

Alex

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 01:34:35 PM »

just thought this might interest a few on here as we need more people involved in the game who know what there doing especially at youth levels.

http://nav.thefa.com/sitecore/content/TheFA/Home/GetIntoFootball/FALearning/NewsAndFeatures/2003/Becoming_a_coach

Put your money where your mouth/keyboard is if you know how it should be done, prove it.

brian1925

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 01:59:26 PM »

It is odd that we bring every player back when the opposition have a corner. There must be a reason for it, since it appears to be a very deliberate team policy. All I can think of is that, it draws the opposition's defenders forward and the team must feel that we have the pace to outrun a back pedalling defence on the counter attack.
It's probably a better idea to ask the manager in person, or indeed one of the players, why the team does this, rather than call him names.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 02:10:29 PM »

It is odd that we bring every player back when the opposition have a corner. There must be a reason for it, since it appears to be a very deliberate team policy. All I can think of is that, it draws the opposition's defenders forward and the team must feel that we have the pace to outrun a back pedalling defence on the counter attack.
It's probably a better idea to ask the manager in person, or indeed one of the players, why the team does this, rather than call him names.

Maybe we could ask Perry to outrun the back pedalling defence!!!!!!
I know who my money would be on

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 02:18:36 PM »

He managed ok at Halifax,although they were reeling him in pretty quickly.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team