PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Supermarkets and Housing Estates
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Supermarkets and Housing Estates  (Read 6813 times)

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: November 26, 2014, 01:42:06 AM »

Following that nonsense in Blyth I found myself in SC**thorpe Sainsbury's later that same week and thought it looked familiar. November 1974 saw Alty travel to The Old Showground and record a famous draw with a John Hughes equaliser. We won the replay 3-1 before facing Blackburn  in a 3 day week epic in the next round. A further visit in 1980 and a 0-0 before Joe Neenan's knees up in the replay saw that trip to Anfield.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/old-grounds-and-stands/old-show-ground-sC**thorpe/index.html

Any more ex grounds with a happy Alty story attached?

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Supermarkets and Housing Estates
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 01:44:24 AM »

PS I don't think it necessary to asterix SC**thorpe but this site automatically does so. So i'm trying T**tford now to see what happens...

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 01:45:33 AM »

Fair do's, at least they're consistent

Jezza

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 06:02:41 AM »

could have sworn we drew 0-0 away both times and won the first replay 4-1.....funny how the mind plays tricks....

a famous couple of  fa trophy finals 1st legs at Wycombe's  and enfield's old grounds....

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 08:13:20 AM »

Three trips to Millmoor in 3 years:  the first best forgotten, the second a posts width away from a first trip to Wembley and the third one of our FA Cup finest hours - Barry Howard, Mal Bailey and an Alex Stepney penalty save

taxi Phil

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 09:53:04 AM »

Obviously Nuneaton and Kettering.......I passed the latter ground on the bus a few months ago. Still intact but looking very neglected.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:17:25 AM by Romeo 48 »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 12:16:23 PM »

Well, there was plenty of pain and misery experienced at Runcorn's Canal Street over many years, however, it remains the site of one of my most-treasured Alty moments: the 1-0 FA Trophy Semi-Final Second Leg victory there in April 1978.

God bless Mal Bailey's head!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Number 23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 03:25:04 PM »

facing Blackburn  in a 3 day week epic in the next round.
My possibly failing memory tells me that the home replay - in the good old days - was played on the Wednesday immediately after we drew at Blackburn.
The replay was played in the afternoon because no floodlights were allowed during that winter. We went straight from school to the game. I seem to remember it was a pretty decent crowd - I guess  a good number of people were off work.

Alfa Romeo

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 07:18:13 PM »

After we beat SC**thorpe 3-1 we beat Gateshead at Moss Lane in the second round and then played Everton in the 3rd if I'm not very much mistaken? Blackburn was a year earlier after we'd beaten Hartlepool?

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »

To be more precise you bunked off school to attend the game. Seeing as half our teachers were there as well there wasn't any risk of disciplinary action.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 07:33:51 PM »

After we beat SC**thorpe 3-1 we beat Gateshead at Moss Lane in the second round and then played Everton in the 3rd if I'm not very much mistaken? Blackburn was a year earlier after we'd beaten Hartlepool?

Correct.

Those Blackburn Rovers games occurred during the 1973/74 season.

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 09:56:16 PM »

It was on the day our school finished for the Xmas holiday, several of us however needed to sneak out early to get there on time, it was a tense journey, the final arrival of a 370 at the Nothernden Post House bus stop got us there just.  An inquest back at school in January resulted in many blank and innocent responses  ;D.
The game was held during the strike period, hence in the afternoon but I believe around 5500 attended. The first game at Ewood Park on the Saturday had a good 1500 to 2000 Alty present, including a fair few nutters from Utd and City, who caused some uncharacteristic bother as Alty away.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Number 23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »

To be more precise you bunked off school to attend the game. Seeing as half our teachers were there as well there wasn't any risk of disciplinary action.
Ah. Probably true. I hadn't recalled that. Watching Alty on a Wednesday afternoon was unusual. Bunking off school on a Wednesday afternoon wasn't.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 12:03:01 AM »

It was on the day our school finished for the Xmas holiday, several of us however needed to sneak out early to get there on time, it was a tense journey, the final arrival of a 370 at the Nothernden Post House bus stop got us there just.  An inquest back at school in January resulted in many blank and innocent responses  ;D.
The game was held during the strike period, hence in the afternoon but I believe around 5500 attended. The first game at Ewood Park on the Saturday had a good 1500 to 2000 Alty present, including a fair few nutters from Utd and City, who caused some uncharacteristic bother as Alty away.

The official attendance for that home replay against Blackburn Rovers was 5,021.

I must dig out the match report and see who turned out for Blackburn that afternoon.

taxi Phil

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 12:05:27 AM »

In my dreams, I still see Mickey Brooke's 30 yarder hit the bar at Ewood Park in the last moments of the game. We was robbed  ::)
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team