PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Not even worth getting cross anymore
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Not even worth getting cross anymore  (Read 20504 times)

VofD

Re: Not even worth getting cross anymore
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 10:22:17 PM »

Gutted to go out but surprised this is being compared to the cup low performances. Nothing like it from what I watched.

Didn't create enough chances but showed plenty of endeavour I thought. They defended well in everything we threw in the box and we
didn't get the important goal that was going to settle it.

Bath weren't brilliant but worked hard and it was always going to be 0-0 or 1-0 to someone. Not wanting to single players out but we had frustrating Lawrie today and Gillespie is stealing a wage of us.   The others gave their all I felt but we got undone by a free kick that should never have been given.   No excuses though, we should have beaten them but just couldn't get the breakthrough.

Decent club Bath, good luck to them in the next round.

Even Flynny had a go at him today on RR. He really is absolutely awful.

andrewflynn

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 10:47:59 PM »

I'll be honest, I'm really not sure what to make of this afternoon. I've deleted and retyped this about fifteen times as I've tried to make sense of my own opinion.

I've always felt that games should be taken singularly. Looking back on our recent Cup and Trophy disasters, and trying to place today alongside them, makes today's performance seem worse than it was. Try to take the past debacles out of the equation, and look at today solely on its own rather than as another sort of disgraceful Trophy loss at lower opposition.

It was a really, really poor offensive performance and it cost us in a game that was there for the taking. Having the ball means nothing if you don't actually create a sodding chance, but they played very deep and we seem to frequently struggle against that sort of approach.

That's why I can't compare this game to the Blyth game, where we fell apart against a side that we invited on to us. For the most part we controlled the game and I thought we were defensively sound for the vast majority. We weren't all over the place and getting out-battled in every 50/50, we weren't weathering wave after wave of Bath attacks. We just didn't have an offensive answer for a side that to their credit defended very well.

It wasn't good enough, and I'm not trying to justify what was a pretty sh*t performance, but I just don't personally think that was as much of a no-show from our team as some believe.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 10:53:51 PM »

I didn't go to this game but I was at Blyth and saw the FA Trophy wins over Macclesfield and Kidderminster. Strange things happen in cup games don't they (I've got Match of the Day on now). People seem to be very upset, but the wins in the earlier rounds were by single goals, and the win at Kidderminster was anything but convincing. Lee Sinnott often uses the buying a ticket in a raffle metaphor and today Bath drew the winning ticket, one goal from a free-kick. Two things were apparent from the commentary. James Lawrie has reintroduced the inaccuarate passing game that has been absent while he's been injured, and Stephen Gillespie is probably our worst signing since Michael Twiss. Sorry Stephen.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 11:35:07 PM by Hale Alty »

Hulme Robin

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 10:58:15 PM »

Very disappointed - Bath seemed quite happy to sit back and counter attack in the second half. They seemed more up for it but again they wern't that good. It was an off day for us with no presence in the centre midfield. Without Tom Marshall we would have probably conceded two more.

taxi Phil

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 11:25:58 PM »

At 3pm I was still gutted that I had to miss today. Two hours later I was glad I couldn't make it.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 11:33:56 PM »

Pondering on this all the way home...Bath deserved their win, and we were second best.  But if I compare it to Eastleigh or Kidderminster (say) we had 10 % less up front than in those games, defended well and conceded just a single goal.

We upped the pace after they scored but Bath were a very solid defensive unit - they defended very well.

We lost this in the same way we won at Kiddy: in the margins...

Wembley next year

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 11:51:54 PM »

I'll be honest, I'm really not sure what to make of this afternoon. I've deleted and retyped this about fifteen times as I've tried to make sense of my own opinion.

I've always felt that games should be taken singularly. Looking back on our recent Cup and Trophy disasters, and trying to place today alongside them, makes today's performance seem worse than it was. Try to take the past debacles out of the equation, and look at today solely on its own rather than as another sort of disgraceful Trophy loss at lower opposition.

It was a really, really poor offensive performance and it cost us in a game that was there for the taking. Having the ball means nothing if you don't actually create a sodding chance, but they played very deep and we seem to frequently struggle against that sort of approach.

That's why I can't compare this game to the Blyth game, where we fell apart against a side that we invited on to us. For the most part we controlled the game and I thought we were defensively sound for the vast majority. We weren't all over the place and getting out-battled in every 50/50, we weren't weathering wave after wave of Bath attacks. We just didn't have an offensive answer for a side that to their credit defended very well.

It wasn't good enough, and I'm not trying to justify what was a pretty sh*t performance, but I just don't personally think that was as much of a no-show from our team as some believe.

I find it very hard to see today's result in isolation when the pattern of our performances in this type of game is so striking. I think we've got to that point of 'the definition of madness is repeating the same actions and expecting a different result'. We have got to change the way we approach this type of game or we are condemned to relive this misery season after season.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 11:56:03 PM »

Can we not give any credit to the opposing team in winning, or do we always have to blame Altrincham FC for failing? But for a missed penalty and some amazing saves at Aggborough we might not even have been at Bath today. The team we had out today was a Conference North team last season. Bath are at that level now, and by all accounts a similar sized club. Is it really such a shock that they won?

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 12:03:46 AM »

Can we not give any credit to the opposing team in winning, or do we always have to blame Altrincham FC for failing? But for a missed penalty and some amazing saves at Aggborough we might not even have been at Bath today. The team we had out today was a Conference North team last season. Bath are at that level now, and by all accounts a similar sized club. Is it really such a shock that they won?

It was barely a shock at all but not for the reasons you suggest. The fact that our fans are criticising our team doesn't mean that they don't give credit to the opposition, just that the primary purpose of our fans' forum is to discuss our team's performance, something you'd be able to do if you'd been there.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:07:08 AM by Leon »

andrewflynn

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 12:13:50 AM »

I find it very hard to see today's result in isolation when the pattern of our performances in this type of game is so striking. I think we've got to that point of 'the definition of madness is repeating the same actions and expecting a different result'. We have got to change the way we approach this type of game or we are condemned to relive this misery season after season.

What would you have done differently today though? The team that was picked was the one that most suggested on here throughout the course of the week.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2015, 12:33:22 AM »

What would you have done differently today though? The team that was picked was the one that most suggested on here throughout the course of the week.

I think we need to rediscover a culture within the club whereby cup matches bring the best and not the worst out of us. It's what used to define us. Easier said than done obviously but I feel there's a lack of fire in the belly at management and playing level. We're a calm, relaxed, quiet group, which generally serves us well in league football but not in cups.

Hamilton

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 12:39:34 AM »

On the plus side we are up there with Man City and Chelsea!

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 10:15:53 AM »

This must be taken in light of our performance against lower teams in the league.  When a team comes to play us we play counter attack and win, if a team sits back I dont think we know what to do. still delighted with the league position. 
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 10:23:17 AM »

So let me get this right, this season we have won three FA Cup and Trophy games and lost two, so our tactics in cup games are all wrong.

Jimmy

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 10:56:52 AM »

It's maybe not the tactics but its the mindset that we can't win games against lower opponents and we now seem in trouble if the midfield isn't packed
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:10:37 AM by Jimmy »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Not even worth getting cross anymore