PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gamble
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Gamble  (Read 10736 times)

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Gamble
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 03:17:44 PM »

Totally agree with bringing in an extra forward with a bit of pace. Both Ryan and Nicky looked a bit heavy-legged and pedestrian on Saturday. But surely our ability to do so would depend on Steven Gillespie leaving the club. George Donnelly is a very good call though.

Gillespie looked so weak on Saturday. As soon as a defender put any physical pressure on him he lost the ball.

For a bloke who, on paper at least, had a fairly decent track record in the FL before we got him, he has been an utter disgrace this season. I mean the Michael Twiss comparisons are spot on in every way. The low point for me so far was letting him take that late pen against Alfreton when I just knew he would miss it. I fear it'll be May before we can wash our hands of him.
Agree with all of that. I also think he's had a much easier ride on here than Twiss did, possibly because he has played a lot less and so the disappointment has been less obvious? Possibly because the team are still doing well despite him?
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

eightiesrobin

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 03:49:33 PM »

I think it's because he gets so little pitch time.

In fairness to him, he's not going to get any fitter, or more confident, or "fit in" better by playing 10 minutes a game. Kyle gets more pitch time, which has got to be a kick in the teeth for a striker of Gillespie's provenance. The guy once cost nearly half a million quid.

Unfortunately, you wouldn't fancy him to hit an empty net from 6 yards, so what can you do?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:59:12 PM by eightiesrobin »

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 04:04:18 PM »

While we're on the subject of gambling I thought I'd look up some of the odds on Alty.

We're 300/1 to get promoted with Bet365 which is rather generous.

And we're 4/1 to finish in the top-half which I think is also a decent price, reckon it should be more like 2/1 or 5/2.

I can't see us bringing anyone in, any chance of reaching the play-offs is so slim that I really don't think it's worth the gamble in terms of wages etc.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 07:57:20 PM »

Even if we snuck into the play offs, would we even be allowed to compete? Surely we've missed the promotion application required. (sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere.)

The deadline for applications for promotion from the Conference used to be around November time & the cost of applying was not negligible.....£900-£1000 from memory.We only paid this on one occasion (2009-10) when we carried out a bucket collection to help pay the application fee.Things are a little different now & the initial application, which has no cost, needs to be in by the end of this month, so I guess that Mr.Wilshaw will be taking care of that. There is a second stage to the process when the application has to be confirmed & it is then that the application fee has to be paid.I believe that this is in March.So I am sure that that if there was any possibility of us achieving the Play-Offs at that point, we would confirm the application then & pay the fee, which I think is still about the same amount.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 08:58:04 PM »

Gillespies miss vs wrexham was unbelievable
Bernard Taylors barmy army

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 09:01:33 PM »

Even if we snuck into the play offs, would we even be allowed to compete? Surely we've missed the promotion application required. (sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere.)

The deadline for applications for promotion from the Conference used to be around November time & the cost of applying was not negligible.....£900-£1000 from memory.We only paid this on one occasion (2009-10) when we carried out a bucket collection to help pay the application fee.Things are a little different now & the initial application, which has no cost, needs to be in by the end of this month, so I guess that Mr.Wilshaw will be taking care of that. There is a second stage to the process when the application has to be confirmed & it is then that the application fee has to be paid.I believe that this is in March.So I am sure that that if there was any possibility of us achieving the Play-Offs at that point, we would confirm the application then & pay the fee, which I think is still about the same amount.

Thanks for the updated info  - all seems like a racket to me.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 11:44:53 PM »

There is a full inspection of the ground & a report produced for the club of what is required.I think that we did quite well last time we were inspected, with no surprises in terms of what was required to upgrade to Football League standard.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 12:12:19 AM »

There is a full inspection of the ground & a report produced for the club of what is required.

A few new crush barriers, re-open another turnstile and a couple of centre forwards......... :)
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 07:33:49 AM »

There is a full inspection of the ground & a report produced for the club of what is required.I think that we did quite well last time we were inspected, with no surprises in terms of what was required to upgrade to Football League standard.

Any I application should last a period of time, say 5 years with a self assessment that these elements are still true. There could then be a sub assessment that can applied quickly (after all there are only four qualifiers) upon qualification for the playoffs.

OR....at least a partial refund on if you don't get in to the play offs. Unless it is a not for profit exercise.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 08:05:00 AM »

In fairness to him, he's not going to get any fitter, or more confident, or "fit in" better by playing 10 minutes a game. Kyle gets more pitch time, which has got to be a kick in the teeth for a striker of Gillespie's provenance. The guy once cost nearly half a million quid.

Unfortunately, you wouldn't fancy him to hit an empty net from 6 yards, so what can you do?

His lack of pitch time is his fault though. He had plenty of game time at the start but played himself out of the team. Although, this was in combination with a need to strengthen midfield rather than 2 upfront. I wouldn't have him behind Reeves either though.

eightiesrobin

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 02:33:36 PM »

His lack of pitch time is his fault though. He had plenty of game time at the start but played himself out of the team. Although, this was in combination with a need to strengthen midfield rather than 2 upfront. I wouldn't have him behind Reeves either though.

I don't argue with that. I agree that the team has altered its playing style somewhat since his run of starts early on. I think the miss at Wrexham did it for him. I remember reading a transcript of Lee Sinnott's post match interview. You could almost hear Sinnott's teeth gnashing together. 

I think that unless Reeves is injured and Sinnott is forced to pick him, (and he manages to score some goals), then he'll have to go in May.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 04:43:56 PM »

I think he needs to go out on loan asap. He's clearly neither use nor ornament as things stand, so if he went and got some game time and (hopefully) scored a goal or two, it might just give him the confidence boost he needs to turn his form around.
Come on Alty!

eightiesrobin

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 05:27:13 PM »

I think he needs to go out on loan asap. He's clearly neither use nor ornament as things stand, so if he went and got some game time and (hopefully) scored a goal or two, it might just give him the confidence boost he needs to turn his form around.

While I agree that he's neither use nor ornament (great phrase that isn't it?), he can't really go until a replacement is found though, can he? There are already holes in the squad, with Williams not being replaced, and what looks like an extended stay at County for Wilko.  I'm still wondering when the "new faces" LS talked about are going to show up.

Jimmy

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 05:39:05 PM »

He can go now replacement or not waste of space one of youth forwards can do no worse than nothing

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 05:48:39 PM »

He can go now replacement or not waste of space one of youth forwards can do no worse than nothing

Yeah, this is basically where I was coming from also.
Come on Alty!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gamble