PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 YOUR Altrincham XI
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Author Topic: YOUR Altrincham XI  (Read 30586 times)

Alex

YOUR Altrincham XI
« on: January 29, 2015, 09:34:11 AM »

Whats the best 11 you have seen play for Alty?

(standard 4-4-2 formation and you have to have physically seen them play no DVD highlights)

Will be interesting to see what combinations different generations of fans come up with.

so i will start (having started watching us in the 2004/05 season)

GK: Coburn
RB: Densmore
LB: Jennings
CB: Shotton
CB: Maddox
RM: Watmore
LM: Clee
CM: Hussin
CM: Owen
ST: Little
ST: Reeves
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:18:16 PM by Garrincha »

bighairedmike

Re: YOUR Altrincham XI
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 10:56:47 AM »

Coburn

J Gallagher
P Ellender
R Shotton
D Adams

D Watmore
E Hussin
T Kearney
K Ellison

C Little
D Reeves

Subs: Maddog, V Owen, G Scott/S Densmore, L Chambers, J Robinson.

Beaver

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 11:33:41 AM »

S Coburn

S Densmore
P Ellender
R Shotton
D Adams

D Watmore
R Harris
N Morton
K Ellison

C Little
D Reeves

roytonmike

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 12:15:42 PM »

I started watching in 1968. so this selection spans the generations!
GK: Coburn
Back four: Allan, Ellender, Owens, Davison
Midfield: Watmore, King, Johnson, Showler
Forwards: McKenna, Swindells
Bench: Connaughton (GK), S. Densmore, Barrow, Reeves, Crossley.
What the midfield might lack in creativity is more than made up for by the fact that no opposition would dare compete with John King & Jeff Johnson for the ball in the first place.
My final selection for the bench is purely sentimental - the ultimate clubman deserves this recognition.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 01:51:41 PM by roytonmike »

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »

Coburn

Cross
Ellender
Maddox
D Adams

Watmore
Hussin
Anderson
Showler

Little
Reeves

Subs:  Wealands, S. Densmore, McKenna, Owen, Craney

Manager: John King
Trainer: Les Attwood
Kit Man: John Claeys
PA announcer: We've had some great ones over the years, but for sheer legend status I want that team to be read out by Mark Harris!
Come on Alty!

AltySi

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 12:34:30 PM »

Coburn

Hodson
Ellender
Shotton
D.Adams

Watmore
Craney
Harris
Ellison

Little
Reeves

Subs: Greygoose, Thornley, Owen, Terry, Maddox

brian1925

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 12:38:37 PM »

Coburn

Densmore
Ellender
Haven
Adams

Watmore
Anderson
Kearney
Showler

Brady
McKenna

Subs:
Little, Ellison, Craney, Shotton, Wealands

That was tough! I really wanted to put Reevsey in the squad, but the Brady/McKenna partnership was lethal and I couldn't leave Col out obviously. The centre back positions were hard to call too. I thought about Martin Baker (a class centre back), but I couldn't find a place for him either.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 12:55:01 PM »

Coburn

Densmore
Cuddy
Ellender
Densmore

Watmore
King
Anderson
Showler

Timmons
McKenna

Subs Wealands, Shotton, Craney, Little, Reeves

I started watching in 1980 but I don't really remember that great team that well - well enough though to realise that John King should be the first name on my team sheet - so my selection is basically from 1985ish onwards. John Timmons is probably my most surprising choice but before his injury problems started to restrict him, he was an absolutely brilliant striker for us and one of my all-time favourite players.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 01:03:51 PM »

John Timmons is probably my most surprising choice but before his injury problems started to restrict him, he was an absolutely brilliant striker for us and one of my all-time favourite players.

Timmons was absolute class till he did his hamstring and was never quite the same again - also one of my all time favourites if only based on maybe 2/3rds of a season

Paul

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 01:46:49 PM »

I have made a recent change to my First XI with Coburn finally replacing Connaughton, and Reeves has come on to the bench in place of Colin Little

Stuart Coburn

Peter Densmore
Mal Bailey
Ryan Shotton
John Davison

Barry Howard
John King
Jeff Johnson
Graham Barrow

Jack Swindells
John Rogers

Bench: John Connaughton, John Owens, Graham Heathcote, Paul Cuddy, Damien Reeves

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »

John Timmons is probably my most surprising choice but before his injury problems started to restrict him, he was an absolutely brilliant striker for us and one of my all-time favourite players.

Timmons was absolute class till he did his hamstring and was never quite the same again - also one of my all time favourites if only based on maybe 2/3rds of a season

Paul

Yes, it was the fact that he was only at his best for a quite short period (though he had his moments even afterwards) that made me wonder about picking him. But then we only had Showler and Shotton for a season and Watmore for not much longer.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:12:17 PM by Leon »

andrewflynn

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 02:27:43 PM »

Fan since 1994 as I've been going since birth. I'd say I can probably remember from about 1998/1999 onwards. Bit of spare time, thought I'd give you all something to read.

1. Stuart Coburn: Picks himself, the only goalkeeper I've ever really known at the club. I can't seem him ever being displaced from my all-time Altrincham XI.

2. Shaun Densmore: I don't think many would argue that Shaun is technically better than Steve Aspinall, Gary Scott and Chris Lane. I also think he's been a very decent captain and he earned my respect after addressing the fans after the Trafford loss last season.
3. Danny Adams: My dad's favourite player, and therefore the player I focused most of my attention on during my early days at Moss Lane. Probably as good as I remember him considering the amount of people who've already selected him.
5. Paul Ellender: Again, the same as the above really.
6. Ryan Shotton: Perhaps this is cheating slightly, but at this stage in his career Ryan Shotton was at least a League One standard footballer. Possibly the last loan player we've had that has really given his all for the club. I'll never forget how happy I was when he extended his loan right before the New Year's Day derby with Northwich (he scored too.)

7. Duncan Watmore: Future Premier League standard player providing he's given the chance. The first time I've really supported a player that's the same age as me. Pure class.
4. Eddie Hussin: The tough-tackling central midfielder that still hasn't been adequately replaced.
8. Tom Kearney: Technically probably the best central midfielder we've had in years. Such an unfortunate injury.
11. Nicky Clee: His performance away at Colwyn Bay in the 11/12 season is the best I've ever seen from an Altrincham left-winger. Two assists, two goals? The second of which was that unreal chip into the far corner from outside the box. Great player and fan favourite.

9. Colin Little
10. Damian Reeves: The strikers pick themselves. I've only known two that fit the bill, and I think I've been pretty spoiled. The Little vs. Reeves debate is a good one.

Extra five on the bench: Warren Peyton, Greg Young, Robbie Lawton, Chris Senior & Matt Doughty.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 02:54:55 PM »

Surprised no Nicky Daws.

Hamilton

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 03:50:37 PM »

Fan since 1994 as I've been going since birth. I'd say I can probably remember from about 1998/1999 onwards. Bit of spare time, thought I'd give you all something to read.

1. Stuart Coburn: Picks himself, the only goalkeeper I've ever really known at the club. I can't seem him ever being displaced from my all-time Altrincham XI.

2. Shaun Densmore: I don't think many would argue that Shaun is technically better than Steve Aspinall, Gary Scott and Chris Lane. I also think he's been a very decent captain and he earned my respect after addressing the fans after the Trafford loss last season.
3. Danny Adams: My dad's favourite player, and therefore the player I focused most of my attention on during my early days at Moss Lane. Probably as good as I remember him considering the amount of people who've already selected him.
5. Paul Ellender: Again, the same as the above really.
6. Ryan Shotton: Perhaps this is cheating slightly, but at this stage in his career Ryan Shotton was at least a League One standard footballer. Possibly the last loan player we've had that has really given his all for the club. I'll never forget how happy I was when he extended his loan right before the New Year's Day derby with Northwich (he scored too.)

7. Duncan Watmore: Future Premier League standard player providing he's given the chance. The first time I've really supported a player that's the same age as me. Pure class.
4. Eddie Hussin: The tough-tackling central midfielder that still hasn't been adequately replaced.
8. Tom Kearney: Technically probably the best central midfielder we've had in years. Such an unfortunate injury.
11. Nicky Clee: His performance away at Colwyn Bay in the 11/12 season is the best I've ever seen from an Altrincham left-winger. Two assists, two goals? The second of which was that unreal chip into the far corner from outside the box. Great player and fan favourite.

9. Colin Little
10. Damian Reeves: The strikers pick themselves. I've only known two that fit the bill, and I think I've been pretty spoiled. The Little vs. Reeves debate is a good one.

Extra five on the bench: Warren Peyton, Greg Young, Robbie Lawton, Chris Senior & Matt Doughty.

One of very few matches I've seen in recent years. It was a cracker for us and Clee was, indeed, extra special that day.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 05:58:57 PM »

Mick Smyth

Peter Densmore
Gerry Casey
Derek Halliwell
John Davison

Graham Barrow
John King
Graham Heathcote
Barry Howard

Jack Swindells
Pat Connolly

Bench: Stuart Coburn, Ryan Shotton, Les Campbell, Colin Little/Damien Reeves, John Rogers
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 YOUR Altrincham XI