PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Your worst ALTY XI
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Your worst ALTY XI  (Read 22736 times)

taxi Phil

Re: Your worst ALTY XI
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2015, 08:04:35 PM »

Is there any room for Andy Scott in anyone's team?

Joined in 2007 and was dumped when we won the AGM Cup. Truly awful.

He's my first choice left back. I hear Cult still wakes up in a cold sweat after nightmares about one of his "back passes".
And I've got him in at RB Ray.

Sorry, didn't spot that. Yes, the stuff of nightmares.

dopamine

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2015, 08:53:52 PM »

Alas, file him with Peter Thomson, Sedgemore snd Gareth Whalley on that one

The one that gives me nightmares is Marc Joseph. He had an atrocious pre season and we still offered him a deal! And he ummed and aahed over it for a few days. At least with Twiss he just turned out badly. Most disappointing aspect was that once he realised he couldn't cut it at bsp level he made no effort whatsoever (made a little in conf north where he was more comfortable).

I'm surprised you list Gareth Whalley in that list? From what I remember he had a very good start but he then just kept getting injured... So a disappointment for sure but definitely not deserving of being mentioned in the same breath as a lot of the players being banded about in this thread!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:27:20 PM by dopamine »

taxi Phil

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2015, 09:29:18 PM »

The one that gives me nightmares is Marc Joseph. He had an atrocious pre season and we still offered him a deal! And he ummed and aahed over it for a few days. At least with Twiss he just turned out badly. Most disappointing aspect was that once he realised he couldn't cut it at bsp level he made no effort whatsoever (made a little in conf north where he was more comfortable).

I'm surprised you list Gareth Whalley in that list? From what I remember he had a very good start but he then just kept injured... So a disappointment for sure but definitely not deserving of being mentioned in the same breath as a lot of the players being banded about in this thread!

To behonest, I nearly included him. He was generally a massive disappointment, although I do remember him producing one sublime piece of skill to set up a goal at Stafford.

bighairedmike

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2015, 12:35:28 AM »

I'm surprised you list Gareth Whalley in that list? From what I remember he had a very good start but he then just kept getting injured... So a disappointment for sure but definitely not deserving of being mentioned in the same breath as a lot of the players being banded about in this thread!

We're you at the capitulation at home to Northwich on Boxing Day? Summed up everything about him. Absolutely awful player, lacked guile, strength, commitment. Had high hopes but was very sadly disappointed. His attitude to paying fans that day was an absolute disgrace.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2015, 06:24:02 PM »

Some notably dreadful players would be:
GK:  Wayne Baker, Nick Stephens
Defenders:  Dave Swannick, Greg Challender
Midfield:  Brian Croft, Steve Carroll,
Attack:  Chris Young, Michael Twiss,
Few there from the dark Unibond days of early 2000's. Was that team of 2002/3 arguably the worst Altrincham side ever? In terms of league placing I think it is.

If you were to say 'the worst ... in recent times' I might go along with you, but historically Alty were twice bottom of the Cheshire League & finished next to bottom twice. That's pretty poor. In my watching time the Les Rigby side of 1975-6 would take a lot of beating in the Useless Stakes - when you read the names of John Wood, the so-called goalkeeper & Dave Furnivall, a real liability of a centre-forward in some of these selections that's the time they came from. Thank God I was in my last year at Uni & saw relatively little of Rigby's Disasters!

And yet on 31st December 1975, Alty were lying in fourth position in the Northern Premier League table, merely five points behind the leaders Runcorn.

Admittedly, things did rather deteriorate over the next two months!

I think that a lot of the initial resentment to Les Rigby concerned his treatment and subsequent exile of the likes of Peter Eales; Lennie Dickinson and Graham Heathcote, coupled with him signing such abject duffers as John Wood; Les Wain and the lumbering bison that was Dave Furnival.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Roehampton Alty

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2015, 09:20:43 PM »

No mentions for Ben Wilkinson? Awful.

I actyually thought Elam was alright for us before telling a lie to get released and go to Vics.

dopamine

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2015, 12:04:06 AM »

We're you at the capitulation at home to Northwich on Boxing Day? Summed up everything about him. Absolutely awful player, lacked guile, strength, commitment. Had high hopes but was very sadly disappointed. His attitude to paying fans that day was an absolute disgrace.

Admittedly i wasn't at that game - always in Yorkshire with family over Christmas/New Year. And looking through the match reports for that season, references to what he did are very underwhelming bar a couple of games. So maybe my memory is very rose-tinted by the excitement of an ex-Bradford City from the Premier League days (family connections!) player coming to town...

On a side-note, having looked back at the results for when he was playing, had forgotten quite how horrendous that season was - we already have 1 more point this season than we got the whole of 2007-08...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Your worst ALTY XI