News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alliance Premier League 79/90 season question

Author Topic: Alliance Premier League 79/90 season question  (Read 5505 times)

Ashley Alty

« on: February 12, 2015, 05:57:13 PM »

I'e been asked the following by Nuneaton fans, could anyone help at all?  Pleae PM me if you can;

"Upon the formation of the Alliance Premiership in 1979/80 season, we are led to believe that a magazine, or similar was issued to celebrate the new league, in addition to a year book. I have been approached by Noel Kelly, former Chairman of Nuneaton Borough, if our Heritage Project had come across  the afore-mentioned publication. Noel actually donated the original trophy to the new league. http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/former-nuneaton-borough-fc-chairman-5731062 .

Noel has been very supportive to our Project and I have offered to make enquiries re the publication, as it would also make an excellent feature for our website. As well as speaking to local collectors, I have contacted the Conference  office in Birmingham, all to no avail. Bearing in mind the mighty Alty won the trophy in the inaugural season, I wondered if you knew the club historian or some other appropriate person so I could make enquiries to see if anyone had a copy of the magazine and/or year book for sale or loan. Long shot I know but anything related would be of interest".

catherinestreet

Re: Alliance Premier League 79/90 season question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 07:29:03 PM »

Its quite disappointing, as I thought the question was going to be "when was the last time Alty were as high up the football pyramid as Macc currently are?"

The answer presumably being "the 1979/80 season".

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 09:24:59 PM »

Its quite disappointing, as I thought the question was going to be "when was the last time Alty were as high up the football pyramid as Macc currently are?"

The answer presumably being "the 1979/80 season".

It's disapponting you spend so much time on here. Get a grip of yourself

Alfa Romeo

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 09:34:26 PM »

In 1979/80 Macc were actually languishing in the lower regions of the NPL with crowds of a few hundred I think. And were to stay there for a few more years. I went to watch them once when Alty either had no game or were at the end of the Earth somewhere. Not sure which season it was but it was the early 80s,  they were playing South Liverpool and there were about 300 there, all moaning incessantly. Happy Days!

roytonmike

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 09:58:16 PM »

I seem to remember a Senior Cup-tie on January 7th 1980 when we sent a reserve team to Northern Premier League Macclesfield Town and came away with a 1-1 draw ... Macc got into the top level for the 1987-8 season & left it at the same time as we did - albeit in a different direction.
Returning to the original point of the thread, I don't honestly recall any special publication by the APL in its first season.

catherinestreet

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 10:04:38 PM »

I seem to remember a Senior Cup-tie on January 7th 1980 when we sent a reserve team to Northern Premier League Macclesfield Town and came away with a 1-1 draw ... Macc got into the top level for the 1987-8 season & left it at the same time as we did - albeit in a different direction.
Returning to the original point of the thread, I don't honestly recall any special publication by the APL in its first season.

I have a copy of the 97 league table somewhere. Us top and you bottom.

You actually got a draw at ours that year, but I think you brought even less fans than you did this week.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 10:32:00 PM »

You actually got a draw at ours that year, but I think you brought even less fans than you did this week.

And you felt so sorry for us you tried to get 92nd in the attendance league every year you were in the league!
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

catherinestreet

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 10:45:36 PM »

And you felt so sorry for us you tried to get 92nd in the attendance league every year you were in the league!

Indeed. The season after we went up was particularly galling, finishing runners up and being unbeaten at home in what is now league two.

The season after that playing City, Fulham, Burnley, Stoke etc was hell.

And then the years after that. Getting to the play offs under Horton. Beating twice European champs Forest at their own ground in the league cup. Knocking Vale out of the cup at their own ground and then returning weeks later to spank them 4-1 in the league.

Beating Stockport 6-0. Winning 4-1 and 4-3 away to them. Etc etc.

Remind me, how have Alty ever got on in the football league?

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 10:48:51 PM »

And all of that on other peoples money    Heaven

catherinestreet

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 11:07:15 PM »

Maybe. Maybe not.

Whichever, it must really rankle that we have been there and done it, and currently could do again, whilst Alty almost certainly never will due to being part time in a largely full time league.

That must hurt.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 11:14:35 PM »

Yeah it kills me

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 11:18:34 PM »

Maybe. Maybe not.

Whichever, it must really rankle that we have been there and done it, and currently could do again, whilst Alty almost certainly never will due to being part time in a largely full time league.

That must hurt.

Lmao. You must have such a fulfilling life.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 11:28:56 PM »

Of course he does Globby, that's why he spends so much of it hanging round an ALTRINCHAM  message board

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 02:57:30 AM »

Quote from: catherinestreet
link=topic=19911.msg232071#msg232071 date=1423782435
Quote from: jiminlondon link=topic=19911.msg232068#msg232068
date=1423781331

Maybe. Maybe not.

Whichever, it must really rankle that we have been there and done it,
and currently could do again, whilst Alty almost certainly never will
due to being part time in a largely full time league.

That must hurt.

The past does not equal the future.
They really should be beating teams like us

Ashley Alty

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 11:37:19 AM »

Hi all,

Much as this Macc baiting is fun, could someone seriously have a look at what I actually asked for?  Does anyone have any information at all, please?  I'd be very grateful for any assistance.

Cheers, colleagues.

I'e been asked the following by Nuneaton fans, could anyone help at all?  Pleae PM me if you can;

"Upon the formation of the Alliance Premiership in 1979/80 season, we are led to believe that a magazine, or similar was issued to celebrate the new league, in addition to a year book. I have been approached by Noel Kelly, former Chairman of Nuneaton Borough, if our Heritage Project had come across  the afore-mentioned publication. Noel actually donated the original trophy to the new league. http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/former-nuneaton-borough-fc-chairman-5731062 .

Noel has been very supportive to our Project and I have offered to make enquiries re the publication, as it would also make an excellent feature for our website. As well as speaking to local collectors, I have contacted the Conference  office in Birmingham, all to no avail. Bearing in mind the mighty Alty won the trophy in the inaugural season, I wondered if you knew the club historian or some other appropriate person so I could make enquiries to see if anyone had a copy of the magazine and/or year book for sale or loan. Long shot I know but anything related would be of interest".

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team