PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 After our dreadful treatment at barnet
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: After our dreadful treatment at barnet  (Read 18245 times)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: After our dreadful treatment at barnet
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2015, 06:20:13 PM »

Spoke to a barnet fan on the phone yesterday.

He was asking about admission, segregation etc.

He also said that given how all away fans seem to be treated at Barnet he is surprised but grateful that most clubs are more "grown up" than them and don't penalise the ordinary fans.

It seems that their Chairman is universally unpopular, even with his own Club's supporters - it tends to get overlooked when they are doing well but heaven help him if they start to struggle

bighairedmike

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2015, 10:52:27 PM »

Spoke to a barnet fan on the phone yesterday.

He was asking about admission, segregation etc.

He also said that given how all away fans seem to be treated at Barnet he is surprised but grateful that most clubs are more "grown up" than them and don't penalise the ordinary fans.

It seems that their Chairman is universally unpopular, even with his own Club's supporters - it tends to get overlooked when they are doing well but heaven help him if they start to struggle

What was your answer?

BeesKnees

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2015, 12:03:52 AM »

As a Barnet fan I am truly sorry that you were not treated as you deserve.  The actions (or rather over-reactions)  of police and the hired stewards has been embarrassing and disappointing on occasion, doing the club and fans no favours.  If some of you feel the need to pick on me and those of us that make the trip then so be it.   I'm sure that if that is the case then I would be as disappointed as you have been and opt not to come again as i'm sure some of you have done for the Hive and that would be a shame.  All of us as fans should be able to go to games without fear of arrest or victimisation (Something i have made clear to my own club, although I'm not convinced they have much influence over the police or the hired security at the Hive).

I think the opinion you have gained that the Chairman is universally unpopular isn't a true one and it would be closer to the truth to describe him as marmite.  Most are grateful to him for building a sustainable club through off field revenue, while some will never forgive him for moving the club away from Barnet.  One thing is sure and that is many of us remember Flashman abandoning the club and almost killing it altogether and are glad that the Chairman has put us in a position where that cannot happen.   A misconception is that he is some kind of Nazi overlooking his empire, he is actually a fairly pleasant guy who helps out in the bar when it's busy and many have been served by him and chatted to him without realising who he is, BUT (and it's a big BUT)  it is his club, he does listen to others but it is always clear that he makes the calls.  He has an absolute hatred of reporters and has done for many years, a few years back we had a well respected reporter that dealt the press for him but since his death the relations have become more and more strained and it is a problem.  TK has been our chairman for over 20 years and I very much doubt you will see a huge outpouring of hatred towards him if we struggle anymore than we already are.  If you want to work out why our chairman and the Non league paper dont get on then look for a Vanarama add in their paper ( I am led to believe that our chairman advised them to save money by not advertising as previous conference sponsors have done and intsead use the money through promotion on social media).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:07:49 AM by BeesKnees »

arnald

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2015, 07:35:00 AM »

My first viewing  of Barnet since the famous  4-1,  I'm happy to welcome  there fans it's a
long way and all that ,but sadly there going home very upset  with no points

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2015, 08:18:42 AM »

As a Barnet fan I am truly sorry that you were not treated as you deserve.  The actions (or rather over-reactions)  of police and the hired stewards has been embarrassing and disappointing on occasion, doing the club and fans no favours.  If some of you feel the need to pick on me and those of us that make the trip then so be it.   I'm sure that if that is the case then I would be as disappointed as you have been and opt not to come again as i'm sure some of you have done for the Hive and that would be a shame.  All of us as fans should be able to go to games without fear of arrest or victimisation (Something i have made clear to my own club, although I'm not convinced they have much influence over the police or the hired security at the Hive).

I think the opinion you have gained that the Chairman is universally unpopular isn't a true one and it would be closer to the truth to describe him as marmite.  Most are grateful to him for building a sustainable club through off field revenue, while some will never forgive him for moving the club away from Barnet.  One thing is sure and that is many of us remember Flashman abandoning the club and almost killing it altogether and are glad that the Chairman has put us in a position where that cannot happen.   A misconception is that he is some kind of Nazi overlooking his empire, he is actually a fairly pleasant guy who helps out in the bar when it's busy and many have been served by him and chatted to him without realising who he is, BUT (and it's a big BUT)  it is his club, he does listen to others but it is always clear that he makes the calls.  He has an absolute hatred of reporters and has done for many years, a few years back we had a well respected reporter that dealt the press for him but since his death the relations have become more and more strained and it is a problem.  TK has been our chairman for over 20 years and I very much doubt you will see a huge outpouring of hatred towards him if we struggle anymore than we already are.  If you want to work out why our chairman and the Non league paper dont get on then look for a Vanarama add in their paper ( I am led to believe that our chairman advised them to save money by not advertising as previous conference sponsors have done and intsead use the money through promotion on social media).

Good post, and please be assured I wish barnet supporters no ill, and hope you enjoy your visit. My comments come across as churlish, but that is only as id like barnet supporters to be a bit more vocal about what's clearly a problem at the hive. I'm no soft touch and have watched football in far worse places, but I'd genuinely think twice about going back after this years experience

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2015, 08:21:53 AM »

What a load of crap! Typical Southern attitude in that nothing is ever a problem or issue as long as it affects someone else.
So its not the fault of Barnet FC how their hired stewards and police behave, when unlike Alty and most conf clubs we do it ourselves.
Interesting to know that it is your Chairman that serves drink/food at ridiculously inflated rates in your bar, but as you say he is a good bloke for doing so. And if it wasnt for Stan you would be in the Ryman North or with the do do bird and never made to the FL.
Maybe you should contact ATS and the others on this forum that seem to think our treatment at the Dive acceptable, and ask them for the special hospitality you seem to expect/deserve and ask for a cut price pint out of the money they save from not going to away games.
I didnt see any of your fans or officials attempting to address the issues at Edgeware.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:32:24 AM by RedhillAlty »

Jimmy

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2015, 09:27:48 AM »

Nobody said the treatment was acceptable

BeesKnees

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2015, 09:36:02 AM »

It is absolutely the club's problem and I hope they look at alternatives to what they currently have, although getting rid of the Met police could prove tricky.  It is no surprise to me that those clubs currently using external stewarding companies are those who treat fans poorest and my club is absolutely guilty of that, it is certainly not something I am proud of.  As OB has also pointed out they are not always bad , it's more that they let us down too often.  
The Grimsby game is a good example, 99% of Grimsby fans thought the stewards and police were excellent and on the day took to twitter and they own forum to praise them, but one steward let the side down and soured it for everyone.  I emailed the club urging them to sort this kind of thing out and contacted Harrow police urging them to drop the charges, but really I feel pretty helpless and I doubt my contact will seriously have much effect.

London beer prices are around £4 and the Hive charges no different, although I'm really not sure what that has to do with it, my point was more that he is accessible to fans and does listen.  We have always been in and around the top tier of non-league, even before a national conference was formed so while I may agree with you that promotion to league 2 would've been highly unlikely, I very much doubt Ryman North would be our fate.

I expect no special hospitality, just somewhere to stand will do me fine.   Anyway that's my lot or I will miss the game, let's all hope for a decent game.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2015, 09:43:50 AM »

What a load of crap! Typical Southern attitude in that nothing is ever a problem or issue as long as it affects someone else.
So its not the fault of Barnet FC how their hired stewards and police behave, when unlike Alty and most conf clubs we do it ourselves.
Interesting to know that it is your Chairman that serves drink/food at ridiculously inflated rates in your bar, but as you say he is a good bloke for doing so. And if it wasnt for Stan you would be in the Ryman North or with the do do bird and never made to the FL.
Maybe you should contact ATS and the others on this forum that seem to think our treatment at the Dive acceptable, and ask them for the special hospitality you seem to expect/deserve and ask for a cut price pint out of the money they save from not going to away games.
I didnt see any of your fans or officials attempting to address the issues at Edgeware.

Seems like a decent bloke to me.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2015, 11:13:58 AM »

Stockport County employ an outside security firm and they were magnificent both home and away against us last season.
And the credit goes to Stockport County FC.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2015, 03:29:02 PM »

How responsibility can be handed away by saying they are a security firm is laughable.

They are BFC's contractors, manage them so or terminate the contract.

If this doesn't happen then it is therefore the will of BFC for them to act in this manner.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2015, 06:02:12 PM »

I wasnt at the game yesterday.
Were Barnet fans put in the away end, for the whole match and did it rain?

Altyrocket

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2015, 06:29:44 PM »

There was a bit of rain, not much really. If it had been heavy rain, and the Barnet fans allowed in the sterile area, think there may have been a bit of a "fuss" by the home supporters.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 After our dreadful treatment at barnet