PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 One for the historians
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: One for the historians  (Read 7822 times)

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
One for the historians
« on: March 02, 2015, 11:13:18 AM »

Have we ever gone through a full season before without scoring a single penalty?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: One for the historians
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 08:00:07 AM »

The season before last??....

I dunno but I've got to say I'm a little bit sick of this now. A couple of our senior players (Densmore or Reeves) should be grabbing hold of this situation now. It's at the stage where people we haven't seen take a penalty before are clearly doing so because no one else will bad its costing us points.

Dens is our captain bad a good penalty taker, did he miss one then that was it? It moved onto others. It was ridiculous. He shouldn't be staffing around when there's umming and aahing. Just get your technique and also work on a plan b.

Same goes for Reeves. This blokes our goal scorer, our talisman, he works his arse off every single game trying to fashion a chance yet won't take a free shot from 12 yards cos he's missed a couple? I saw him score a real pressure penalty at Blyth in injury time so he can clearly do it, just needs to sort out his plan a and b.

One of the things I loved about James Walshaw was his edge. For him a penalty was a goal, give me the ball I'll score it. Job done promotion secured, how do you like it, how do you like it?

Come on Reevesey, don't tell me you can't do what Wally did...

Seriously, I'm disappointed in those two on this score.

roytonmike

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:53:34 AM »

To be fair, Nicky Clee was probably the 'nominated penalty taker', as I believe current jargon has it. He took two in pre-season (with 100% success) & I'm fairly certain he wasn't on the field when we got a pen v Alfreton. Those of us who witnessed the farce of a penalty shoot-out at Hyde in pre-season know that there aren't many players in our squad you'd trust to hit the target from 12 yards, leave alone beat the keeper. This may sound harsh, but it's an honest opinion - if Reeves has time to think about a situation - e,g, a penalty kick - the odds are he'll get it wrong, but if he can only rely on instinct he's likely to get it right. Therefore it's wise not to entrust him with spot-kicks. Densmore has failed to convert on quite a few occasions & quite possibly just doesn't feel comfortable or confident enough in the situation. The job should go to someone who wants it, not to someone who's press-ganged into it. If no-one wants it that's another matter.
To return to the original point of the thread - pass!

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »

LS mentions in the Alty TV interview that Moult was our other nominated penalty taker, so I assume he'll be the next lamb to the slaughter.

I strongly agree with Ballers on this. Although neither Reeves or Densmore has ever filled me with confidence as penalty takers, one or both of them should take responsibility. We simply don't have a naturally confident penalty taker in the squad (like Walshaw was), so we need one of them to bridge the gap with practice and nerve.

Lucky in a way that we've only been awarded two penalties this season...

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 10:38:15 AM »

I think it's unacceptable for any player at any level of the game to miss the target from the penalty spot. I'm not specifically referring to Saturday when I say that, either. I know pressure can do funny things to people, but to miss the target altogether is, frankly, a bit rubbish.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:45:02 AM by Paul Cain's Chip Pan »
Come on Alty!

York Alty

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 11:44:48 AM »

I think it's unacceptable for any player at any level of the game to miss the target from the penalty spot. I'm not specifically referring to Saturday when I say that, either. I know pressure can do funny things to people, but to miss the target altogether is, frankly, a bit rubbish.

Agree totally.  Irf the keeper saves is then OK, but to miss the target totally is pants.  Just stand on the pen spot and look at the goal - it's a huge target to hit.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 11:54:30 AM »

The season before last??....

I dunno but I've got to say I'm a little bit sick of this now. A couple of our senior players (Densmore or Reeves) should be grabbing hold of this situation now. It's at the stage where people we haven't seen take a penalty before are clearly doing so because no one else will bad its costing us points.

Dens is our captain bad a good penalty taker, did he miss one then that was it? It moved onto others. It was ridiculous. He shouldn't be staffing around when there's umming and aahing. Just get your technique and also work on a plan b.

Same goes for Reeves. This blokes our goal scorer, our talisman, he works his arse off every single game trying to fashion a chance yet won't take a free shot from 12 yards cos he's missed a couple? I saw him score a real pressure penalty at Blyth in injury time so he can clearly do it, just needs to sort out his plan a and b.

One of the things I loved about James Walshaw was his edge. For him a penalty was a goal, give me the ball I'll score it. Job done promotion secured, how do you like it, how do you like it?

Come on Reevesey, don't tell me you can't do what Wally did...

Seriously, I'm disappointed in those two on this score.

2011/12:

Reeves takes a total of 10 penalties, scoring from eight of them and missing two.

We also manage to concede the ludicrous tally of 15 penalties!

2012/13:  

Alty were awarded a total of 16 penalties…..and contrived to miss 10 of them.

For the record, the four heroes and villains were as follows: Damian Reeves: scored three and missed six; Matt Doughty: scored one and missed two; Shaun Densmore: scored one and missed one and Ryan Brooke: scored one and missed one.

2013/14:

Alty were awarded a total of five penalties, all of which were converted by a certain James Walshaw.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:56:19 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 11:57:26 AM »

Have we ever gone through a full season before without scoring a single penalty?

Sorry but that one's beyond my records!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 12:22:55 PM »

2012/13:  

Alty were awarded a total of 16 penalties…..and contrived to miss 10 of them.

That is an absolutely frightening statistic. I knew we'd missed a few pens that season, but not 10 out of 16!
Come on Alty!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 12:25:11 PM »

To be fair, Nicky Clee was probably the 'nominated penalty taker', as I believe current jargon has it. He took two in pre-season (with 100% success) & I'm fairly certain he wasn't on the field when we got a pen v Alfreton. This may sound harsh, but it's an honest opinion - if Reeves has time to think about a situation - e,g, a penalty kick - the odds are he'll get it wrong, but if he can only rely on instinct he's likely to get it right. Therefore it's wise not to entrust him with spot-kicks. Densmore has failed to convert on quite a few occasions & quite possibly just doesn't feel comfortable or confident enough in the situation. The job should go to someone who wants it, not to someone who's press-ganged into it. If no-one wants it that's another matter.

Yeh but Mike, Nicky shouldn't be the nominated penalty taker. He's been here 5 years and we've been through loads of penalty takers including Ryan Brooke so he obviously doesn't really want to. Someone should be taking leadership here and if they've missed a couple in the past then practice a bit and sort yourself out.

I didn't realise Reevesy missed six the other year to be fair but he should just get his head right. No one else will score them do the pressures off in that respect. A goal scorer shouldn't be arsed if he misses as long as he gets to take the penalty.

On a side note I've always thought the logic of changing penalty takers if one gets missed is flawed. Anyone can miss a penalty and you're not allowing for averages on a good penalty taker. Matt Doughty for example took one and missed one but I'm fairly certain that out of 10 penalties he'd score 7 or 8

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 01:48:08 PM »

I am pretty sure the answer is NO. I can categorically confirm it hasn't happened this century, and I am working my way back!

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 02:28:23 PM »

Definitely none scored before 1890.

ripleym

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 02:58:13 PM »

My photos leading up to the penalty, where Nicky is holding the ball - and I think one of Gavin's too - suggest that Nicky wasn't particularly confident about taking it.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 02:59:59 PM »

I'd like to see Tom Marshall taking penalties (assuming he's still on the pitch). I bet he'd put it through the back of the net.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 06:19:23 PM »

Good job Wilkinson scored that late winner!
Full time and proud of it
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 One for the historians