PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 £375 A MAN
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: £375 A MAN  (Read 11552 times)

taxi Phil

£375 A MAN
« on: March 23, 2015, 11:42:28 PM »

Not enough in terms of player wages to win a League, according to Torquay manager Chris Hargreaves (see Club site).

That's us buggered then...... ::)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: £375 A MAN
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 07:43:20 AM »

Its not great for a full time footballer but I wouldnt mind earning it.I'm sure that was just Saturdays team, they will have players on more than that.You could get that sort of wage at a top part time club.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:17:47 AM by Timperley The Best »

roytonmike

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:29:30 PM »

If the player is on a 40-week contract that average figure translates to £15,000 for the year; if a 52-week contract it would be £19,500. Either way that would be to say the least a very good wage for a part-timer in my view, and it's not too shabby for a fifth-tier professional, to be honest. If Torquay are employing say 20 players and that's the average figure their weekly wage bill on players alone is £7,500. Maybe that explains their admission prices (I understand standing speccies pay £17 & seated £21). The economics just don't stack up to me!

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 02:15:26 PM »

It's a decent enough wage for a young lad but for an older pro with a mortgage and a family it is not really very much. Especially for a footballer with no experience of anything else who has to find another source of income at 35-36. To be that is a perfect example of why full time football at this level is really not sustainable.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

roytonmike

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 02:26:20 PM »

It's a decent enough wage for a young lad but for an older pro with a mortgage and a family it is not really very much. Especially for a footballer with no experience of anything else who has to find another source of income at 35-36. To me that is a perfect example of why full time football at this level is really not sustainable.
That is precisely my point.

Altyrocket

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 02:53:28 PM »

Its not sustainable ................without the money put in ( the guesstimate is  £3M in six years I believe) by the lady chairperson. She has converted her "loans" into shares I believe, and will no longer support the club financially next season. The club is effectively up for sale or "looking for new investors". So without new money they are right up the swanny, unless they drop down to a level they can afford.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 04:03:59 PM »

He complains that you'd have to massively over-achieve to win the league on that kind of money. Try massively over-achieving in that case. Winning the league is not the norm, in fact losing it is. If you want to buy success play fanstasy football instead.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 05:47:04 PM »

So who's pocketing the parachute payment?

Jimmy

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 06:23:42 PM »

You won't get pro players good enough to compete at this level on 375 a week infact there will be a lot of semi pro players some not even that good on more than that if that is the wage bill they simply have to go part time

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 08:32:03 PM »

If the player is on a 40-week contract that average figure translates to £15,000 for the year; if a 52-week contract it would be £19,500. Either way that would be to say the least a very good wage for a part-timer in my view, and it's not too shabby for a fifth-tier professional, to be honest. If Torquay are employing say 20 players and that's the average figure their weekly wage bill on players alone is £7,500. Maybe that explains their admission prices (I understand standing speccies pay £17 & seated £21). The economics just don't stack up to me!

Does that £375 include tax and NI? If not then that needs to be paid on top. What about bonuses? There will be travel and accommodation costs for both the home and away games too (which won't be cheap for a Devon club). You aren't just paying 20 players either. You will have backroom and office staff also. Loads of other off the pitch costs too.

Torquay could downsize, cut the wage bill and be sustainable. But it wouldn't fit it a 'traditional' football league club in a predominantly full time league trying to get promoted back to what they see as their natural level. I think that's the dilemma they face.

Altyrocket

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 09:45:19 PM »

Woking 3-2 £375 a man, 375 were two nil up as well.

Jimmy

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 09:49:20 PM »

Torquay's recent forward is awfull the fact they lost a 2 goal lead makes things worse

taxi Phil

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 10:48:05 PM »

It'll end in tears. They won't be mine.

Jimmy

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 06:57:57 AM »

I for one be sorry to see Torquay go down or bust although I probably can't make it this season iv very much enjoyed my 2 trips there

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 07:28:13 AM »

Torquay's recent forward is awfull the fact they lost a 2 goal lead makes things worse

I hope it stays that way after Easter as I have delayed our short Easter break to take in the match.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 £375 A MAN