PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ground improvements
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ground improvements  (Read 12248 times)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Ground improvements
« on: April 08, 2015, 11:40:36 AM »

I'm thinling mainly of the popular side,tv gantry ,scaffolding , possible leaking old roof ?Could we get a grant or is it too soon after ther community hall ?

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
Re: Ground improvements
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »

Personally I would sort out a roof on the chequers end because the lack of cover appears to cause the popular side segregation issues. In an ideal world a roof on that would help keep the popular side 100% home fans and get rid of those fences.

I doubt the money is there though and there would be planning issues too.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 02:37:49 PM »

The Altrincham ground is a bit shabby and lagging behind many others. A good tidy up and repair the awful barriers around the pitch and it would look a lot smarter without having to spend much. No roof required on the chequers end as far as im concerned, but the concrete steps need repairing.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 04:15:22 PM »

Speaking of the Chequers End, it's always irritated me that it only goes just beyond half the width of the pitch. I know the sub station(?) thingy prevents it from being any wider, but is there any feasible way that this could be removed/relocated, thus allowing the terrace to be extended? If we had a full-width terrace we could then just put fences right down the middle of it and create a nice sterile area, whilst housing our own fans along the full length of the pop side.

And, yes, I know we haven't got the money, I am just curious if it would actually be possible.
Come on Alty!

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 05:07:39 PM »

Could another grant be applied for or is to soon after  the csh grant ?

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 05:50:40 PM »

Speaking of the Chequers End, it's always irritated me that it only goes just beyond half the width of the pitch. I know the sub station(?) thingy prevents it from being any wider, but is there any feasible way that this could be removed/relocated, thus allowing the terrace to be extended? If we had a full-width terrace we could then just put fences right down the middle of it and create a nice sterile area, whilst housing our own fans along the full length of the pop side.

And, yes, I know we haven't got the money, I am just curious if it would actually be possible.

No problem, just send a cheque to the club for 200K and I will arrange it  :D

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 05:57:14 PM »

It is always possible to relocate a sub-station, but it is never cost effective to those who want it moved.
Depending on what it feeds power to and how it feeds it and how important it is to businesses and local infrastructure, factors into the cost of moving it. Quite often temporary generators are needed to maintain supply unless the zone can be fed by switching in from other subs. Sometimes the risk on relocating old electrical switchgear is that they won't function correctly once moved and hence new gear is needed. Another problem is where to position the new one and gaining planning consent. In reality Electricity North West factor all this in and quote a fortune for something that looks straightforward. They have a monopoly on this and the final say and can charge just about what they want.
Probably cost more than a simple roof on The Chequers  :(
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 05:58:59 PM »

Thanks for this.
Come on Alty!

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 05:59:50 PM »

Pukka beat me to it.........was still typing away here.........but his cost estimate is no joke
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 06:11:03 PM »

No problem, just send a cheque to the club for 200K and I will arrange it  :D

Try not to restrict the supporters' view of any of the corner flags when you construct this though..... ;)

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

York Alty

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »

Pop side takes priority over the Chequers End, with the excpetion of repairs to the concrete terracing which is becoming a safety issue.

GB Alty

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 08:11:26 PM »

Pop side takes priority over the Chequers End, with the excpetion of repairs to the concrete terracing which is becoming a safety issue.
this attitude of 'we must treat away fans poorly' is not good

We unhappy when we get treated badly away, yet some seem happy and even endorse we do the same

This is not the Altrincham way

Maybe we should ban away fans totally, or put them in a cage and shower them in sh*t?

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:52 PM »

this attitude of 'we must treat away fans poorly' is not good

We unhappy when we get treated badly away, yet some seem happy and even endorse we do the same

This is not the Altrincham way

Maybe we should ban away fans totally, or put them in a cage and shower them in sh*t?

I like the way you think , you should become a  real taxi driver and drive a hackney with this much malice would we need a firemans hose to fire the sh*t at them ... I like it 
FFS

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 09:19:25 PM »

The ironic thing about the popular side is that the part with the best and most modern roof is restricted by building site fences and gantry scaffolding.  Replacing the rest of the roof wouldn't solve the issue of away fans getting part of the popular side so they get some cover because chequers is exposed. In turn that pushes the home fans back to where the gantry and fencing is which alienates some home fans. It affects the atmosphere too.

The alternative is you have zero covered standing for away fans, which causes knock on effects of their own. Or you then do a less intrusive gantry and fencing on the popular side.

roytonmike

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 10:09:35 PM »

The ironic thing about the popular side is that the part with the best and most modern roof is restricted by building site fences and gantry scaffolding.  Replacing the rest of the roof wouldn't solve the issue of away fans getting part of the popular side so they get some cover because chequers is exposed. In turn that pushes the home fans back to where the gantry and fencing is which alienates some home fans. It affects the atmosphere too.
The alternative is you have zero covered standing for away fans, which causes knock on effects of their own. Or you then do a less intrusive gantry and fencing on the popular side.
Something needs to be done to ensure that the Chequers End terracing is completely safe to stand on; in an ideal world the roof on the Pop Side would be raised to the level of the newer part & the gantry remodelled to make the area beneath it useable. Finances probably don't allow for both so safety should come first.
Two other fairly minor points - if we don't provide cover for visiting fans we haven't a leg to stand on (pardon the pun!) in terms of criticism of what others (e.g. Southport) provide for us; and could something be done to ensure that the Golf Road goalposts don't lean backwards quite as obviously as they do now (next time you're walking round from the Golf Road to the Pop Side stop and look down the goal-line & you'll see what I mean!).
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ground improvements