PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ground improvements
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ground improvements  (Read 12249 times)

York Alty

Re: Ground improvements
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 10:40:48 PM »

A small pint perhaps but the Chequers End is not exclusively used by away fans.   There's generally a couple of games a season where Alty fans get to reclaim what was once my preferred viewpoint.

Repairing the concrete IS a priority in my view, next on that list being to solve the problem of the TV gantry (great word 'gantry') blocking the view when we have away fans in the Pop Stand.  Third would be improved toilets on the Chequers End.  After that, the walkway between the Golf Road and the Pop stand is all over the shop and needs levelling. After those have been done I'd also like the Chequers End extended, increasing capacity of away fans as well as allowing me to stand somewhere behind the goal when we're attacking - much better for me than being on the side.

Great debate this - anybody know what the ground improvement budget is? Is it a very round figure?

salealty

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 10:46:51 PM »

Putting a roof on the Chequers End would obstruct the view from my bedroom when I can't make the game so I would definitely object.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 12:16:52 AM »

They're all valid points and meant well I'm sure.

It's a real tightrope the director's have to walk. Action on the field has to be matched by facilities off the field. They've both got to grow side by side.

Having said that giving out Poncho's would be a lot cheaper than a roof on the Chequer's end.

The away end at Stockport doesn't have a roof and they were in the Nationwide not too long ago.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 12:48:26 AM »

Putting a roof on the Chequers End would obstruct the view from my bedroom when I can't make the game so I would definitely object.

If you live near enough to watch the game from your bedroom what's stopping you getting to the game?!
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 02:14:21 AM »

I have made this point before but now we have a decent thread....if we could at least do some small jobs around the place it would make a great difference ( whilst acknowledging the need for a safer terrace in the Chequers End ).

I'm thinking ... Why do we have that fenced off area in the Golf Road end full of old chairs/tables/ building materials ? It looks - and is- an eyesore that just needs sorting.

There are loose planks of wood just lying around, why can't we do a quick tidy job and make it a safe environment for everyone. If the club can't get anyone to do it then I'm sure there is enough goodwill and volunteers around to help out.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 08:37:20 AM »

Most of the ground has been the same for 35 plus years ,having a decent team to watch is more important but I agree things should be done side by side.I know its all down to money but it would be good if there was a plan in place even of it was bit by bit regarding improvements.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:05:39 AM by Timperley The Best »

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 08:51:51 AM »

and could something be done to ensure that the Golf Road goalposts don't lean backwards quite as obviously as they do now (next time you're walking round from the Golf Road to the Pop Side stop and look down the goal-line & you'll see what I mean!).

Yes! I hear comments every week from away fans in the family stand commenting on the wonky goalposts. It looks really tinpot and Sunday league.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 12:27:08 PM »

It would be really good to once and for all sort out the pop side no go area (gantry) we are consistently losing one third of a side of the ground to it. It is an eyesore and it is growing year on year. The BBC don't use as much real estate when they televise the Open ffs.

Jenga

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 12:54:31 PM »

we should move the main stand 30 foot to the left so that every seat has a clear view of the pitch.

Foz

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 01:23:47 PM »

I'm sure the club are aware of many of the points that are raised in this thread.

The club organise several days to 'tidy up' the ground over every summer, where people can come along and help out with many of the tasks which are required simply to keep the ground in it's current shape, let alone improve it.

The response that the club get is the usual people- about 6 of them. If there was a better response, then I am sure that beyond the 'maintenance' that is done, potentially some of the minor improvements suggested in this thread may be possible.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 04:57:27 PM »

I'm sure the club are aware of many of the points that are raised in this thread.

The club organise several days to 'tidy up' the ground over every summer, where people can come along and help out with many of the tasks which are required simply to keep the ground in it's current shape, let alone improve it.

The response that the club get is the usual people- about 6 of them. If there was a better response, then I am sure that beyond the 'maintenance' that is done, potentially some of the minor improvements suggested in this thread may be possible.

The problem with the tidy up days is that most people don't want to spend their time doing DIY, lots of people who might help don't live locally and lots of people are just useless at that sort of thing.

I know people don't like always going back to the fans but if there was a total cost for a specified ground improvement it might be easier to raise money. If people have something to aim for it feels less like just throwing money into the ether.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

bighairedmike

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 05:48:58 PM »

I appreciate this Foz, but for many people having a Saturday morning off work/parental/ marital duties out of football season is not as easy to come by as some people make it sound. The other issue is that it seems as though the working days are arranged and advertised very quickly and don't give people enough time to be able to volunteer themselves. For example, my shift patterns mean I get one weeken in four off and they are arranged a month in advance. If the club only give people two weeks notice it can be hard to change shifts/ plans.

I personally think that these working days or whatever you want to call them should be penned in about this time of year and advertised well in advance if you want more people to come. :)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 12:04:16 PM »

I might be missing something here but I believe the next stage of the CSH improvements also included the chequers end, namely a new toilet block etc that means we get rid of the portaloos. In fact everything set back into the wall so that will create a lot of walkway space by the turnstiles.

Unless it's been binned now we've got a bar?

Jenga

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 12:43:46 PM »

Whilst the days arranged for as for people to come to ground to tidy up and perhaps paint etc are great, and i applaud the people that do it, i don't think these days would be suitable to reconcrete steps, put up new roofs, build toilet blocks etc.

This sort of work needs professional people.

I don't really want to be standing under a new roof erected by the Alty Teasers.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 08:23:38 PM »

Speaking of the Chequers End, it's always irritated me that it only goes just beyond half the width of the pitch. I know the sub station(?) thingy prevents it from being any wider, but is there any feasible way that this could be removed/relocated, thus allowing the terrace to be extended? If we had a full-width terrace we could then just put fences right down the middle of it and create a nice sterile area, whilst housing our own fans along the full length of the pop side.

And, yes, I know we haven't got the money, I am just curious if it would actually be possible.

No problem, just send a cheque to the club for 200K and I will arrange it  :D

Try not to restrict the supporters' view of any of the corner flags when you construct this though..... ;)

As if  ;)

[/quote]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:31:49 PM by Brian Flynn »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ground improvements