News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Peter Cavanagh retires

Author Topic: Peter Cavanagh retires  (Read 4253 times)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Come on Alty!

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Cavanagh retires
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 10:31:58 AM »

Got himself a decent gig there by the looks of things.

Good luck to him.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 10:49:07 AM »

I was disappointed he was released, but maybe Lee knew this was on the cards and that Peter was looking to move into a coaching role, preferably in a full-time capacity ?

In any case, had we kept him, I expect he would have left us for Everton anyway. This looks like a future job he simply could not turn down, which would have left Lee and Tols having to re-adjust their midfield plans at a later stage in the year than they are now
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 10:50:56 AM »

Rather puts Lee's decison into perspective this, looks like he got it right again ;)
Probably good news really for us that he hasnt stayed at Southport (who are a rival of a similar standard) as we all know he was a decent player.

I wish Cav all the best for his future coaching career.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 11:58:16 AM »

Good luck Cav in your new job

Let hope that our manager can find a suitable replacement in time for the start of the new season

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 12:18:17 PM »

Rather puts Lee's decison into perspective this, looks like he got it right again ;)

Probably good news really for us that he hasnt stayed at Southport (who are a rival of a similar standard) as we all know he was a decent player.

I thought that Lee Sinnott was right to release Cavanagh regardless of any such potential development as this outcome.

He simply accumulated far too many yellow cards and it looked like both age and injuries were catching up with him.

His new appointment has echoes of Scott Phelan in August 2012.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 12:26:25 PM »

I thought that Lee Sinnott was right to release Cavanagh regardless of any such potential development as this outcome.

He simply accumulated far too many yellow cards and it looked like both age and injuries were catching up with him.

Before my time, but from what I've heard I'm sure Kingy et al went into the book plenty of times.

To me, he was exactly what we needed at the time - on and off the pitch - with what is still a relatively young team.

It still haunts me how much we needed him at Blyth.

Jenga

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 12:53:29 PM »

I will only accept Lee's decision if he wore a track suit at the time.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 07:30:57 PM »

Before my time, but from what I've heard I'm sure Kingy et al went into the book plenty of times.

To me, he was exactly what we needed at the time - on and off the pitch - with what is still a relatively young team.

Actually, notwithstanding his reputation/legend, I don't recollect Kingy serving that many suspensions and I'm even struggling to recall him being sent off whilst playing for Alty in a competitive fixture (however, I do remember seeing him receive his marching orders in a pre-season friendly at Witton Albion!).

Mind you, comparisons with that era are somewhat spurious, as bookings were rather harder to come by back in those days.

Cavanagh would have loved it back then!

I think that one of the drawbacks with Cavanagh last season was that he spent almost as much time off the pitch as he did on it.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:32:28 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 08:56:43 PM »

Sent off after the final whistle fighting George Jones from Lancaster after 0-0 draw at Moss Lane early in 78-79 season.  They were rolling around on the ground in the centre circle and Jones later complained that Kingy bit him in the fracas

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 10:49:20 PM »

I was once bitten in the fracas - Ooh it didn't half make my eyes water

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 12:53:10 AM »

Sent off after the final whistle fighting George Jones from Lancaster after 0-0 draw at Moss Lane early in 78-79 season.  They were rolling around on the ground in the centre circle and Jones later complained that Kingy bit him in the fracas

Bill,

Thanks for jogging my fading memory.

I do recall that particular incident but had entirely forgotten that had it resulted in Kingy's first (and only?) sending off for Alty in a competitive fixture.

All I remember about the Lancaster City team of that era was that it used to include George Buchan, brother of the then Manchester United captain Martin.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 09:51:57 AM »

Didn't Kingy get dismissed in that epic 5-4 home leg of some cup v Mossley?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 01:02:07 PM »

No - his contribution was rather more positive with 2 goals in Injury time to seal the (eventually pointless) win.

It was Stan Allen who was sent off on 82 minutes for fighting with Eamonn O'Keefe who was also dismissed.

This had the effect of improving Alty massively and similarly weakening Mossley and paved the way for the comeback.

It was 4-1 to Mossley at the time, and John Davison made it 4-2 within a minute of Allen going
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:04:07 PM by ManagementGuru »
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Peter Cavanagh retires