PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wigan Match thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wigan Match thread  (Read 11467 times)

LymmRobin

Re: Wigan Match thread
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 10:50:52 PM »

Really good game.  The ref was very good in the first half and then let things get out of hand in the second.  Jordan Sinnott played well at right back and put in an excellent cross that was only  cleared by a defensive handball, unnoticed by the ref.  Jordan Deacey is a real prospect.  His speed caught out the Wigan players several times.  Jake Moult was everywhere and Mash was imperious.  George Bowerman was the triallist who played up front.  He also looked good.  Seven pounds well spent. 

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 10:58:02 PM »

Sorry but Sinnott not good enough , he still doesn't  impress me , apart from that a good solid performance , like the look of Rankine.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 11:17:27 PM »

Good game.
Enjoyed talking to some Wigan fans about the old Cheshire League.

taxi Phil

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 11:22:02 PM »

Really good game.  The ref was very good in the first half and then let things get out of hand in the second.  Jordan Sinnott played well at right back and put in an excellent cross that was only  cleared by a defensive handball, unnoticed by the ref.  Jordan Deacey is a real prospect.  His speed caught out the Wigan players several times.  Jake Moult was everywhere and Mash was imperious.  George Bowerman was the triallist who played up front.  He also looked good.  Seven pounds well spent. 

Agree with most of this, although I thought Mash was less effective than usual. James Lawrie was excellent tonight. My main reservations are about Crowther,  who I feel is lightweight. Deasy's penalty save (poor award, minimal contact) was quality, and justice seen to be done.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 11:36:21 PM »

Ideal workout that, it matters no more or less than the 0-0 at Abbey Hey, but that was a pretty much full strength Wigan outfit,real bad tempered affair second half which is very useful in preseason. No one in a red shirt had a poor game tonight. I think deacey needs to be signed, he's a real handful, the Trialist looked decent also. I thought Rankine did really well to wrestle the ball for his goal and our regular chaps passed the ball really well all night. Wigan have had a training camp in Spain and two wins over Hibs and Queen of the South, whilst we've been to gorton on a Tuesday, so they can't  say they were ring rusty. Decent penalty save also by Deasey

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 12:15:28 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Bowerman
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 12:33:18 AM »

That was a really entertaining game, played well above the general pace of a friendly contest. For a 20 minute period in the second half it was almost like watching a cup tie, both sides really wanted to win that. It died out after the penalty miss though.

Not happy with a few of the tackles towards the back end of the game, but I'd much rather the lads play games of that nature. Give me that over playing against United's kids any day, and I'd have said the same if we'd have lost 0-3.

I thought we were really good at times, great pressure to win the ball back in midfield and from Rankine for our goal. We weren't afraid to play our usual game despite that being a very strong Wigan side, and at times we moved it about really well despite being up against good pressure and positioning. Few mentions of Sinnott already on the thread, he was no better or worse than any other player in an Alty shirt tonight. Who was the triallist wearing #19 up front in the second half? He had a bit about him.

Can't moan with the attendance either, thanks to all the Wigan fans who travelled. Pretty sure each one also bought a pie as well.

Apart from the pie bit - I saw at least two Wigan supporters that never had a pie............then this is just about spot on
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 08:03:35 AM »

Good game and work out. Thought it was a solid performance from most.

Hope we sign Deacey as I think he'll bring something. Sinnott did ok at RB and as he's adequate at number of positions I think he'll be signed.

As for Romeo 48's comments about Crowther, he's being too kind.

The question is though, who was the 19? Looked a real handful.
Full time and proud of it

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 09:40:36 AM »

Good game.

Wigan Athletic in the Cheshire League ?

You're showing your age - Isn't it about time you retired ?  ;)

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 10:08:11 AM »

What's this thing about keeping the names of some triallists quiet? Is it a policy so other clubs don't know who you are trying out, or just a bit of tinpottedness not getting a teamsheet published in time?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 10:41:40 AM »

I gather it's usually so not to advertise a players availability to other clubs

York Alty

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 10:56:25 AM »

I gather it's usually so not to advertise a players availability to other clubs

That is the assumpt I n I work to. There was a bit on the bbc about Macclescum having seven or eight triallists making a tweeet they sent read a bit pointless...

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 11:23:38 AM »

Good game.

Wigan Athletic in the Cheshire League ?

You're showing your age - Isn't it about time you retired ?  ;)

I believe that the aforementioned gentleman may in fact be referring to 'Ye Olde Cheshire League'

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 11:30:17 AM »

What's this thing about keeping the names of some triallists quiet? Is it a policy so other clubs don't know who you are trying out, or just a bit of tinpottedness not getting a teamsheet published in time?

There was a complete teamsheet....it's not uncommon for teams to include a number of players named as 'Trialists' in pre-season games:-

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-im-tranmeres-man-no-9656173

Last pre-season, Hyde's teamsheet in our friendly against them, was all trialists.....it made for a rip-roaring commentary on Radio Robins ::).

Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wigan Match thread