PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Trafford match thread
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trafford match thread  (Read 6588 times)

brian1925

Re: Trafford match thread
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 09:35:43 PM »

It also sounds like we were better in the second half, with only Reeves up front.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 09:36:34 PM »

2-2 FT

Okeefe played well 2nd half, Lawrie made the difference, though much improved throughout second half. Would really have liked to see something like our strongest 11 playing really. Got to pull our boot straps up in the next 10 days, and see an assured performance against port vale.

brian1925

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 09:41:03 PM »

I think there will be one more addition to our squad before the season starts. Fingers crossed for a right sided attacking midfielder with a bit of pace.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 09:43:05 PM »

Need more than one, and we've got about 15 midfielders. No A Trialist tonight though.

brian1925

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 09:50:04 PM »

To be honest, I didn't expect to see A Trialist again. If we go 451 (which seems highly likely) there'd be no place for another forward. A right sided midfielder I could definitely see coming in. I know he couldn't hit a barn door, but someone like Adriano Moke.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:51:51 PM by brian1925 »

andrewflynn

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 09:51:45 PM »

Poor result. What reasoning could there possibly be for Heathcote starting in our penultimate pre-season fixture? Surely you start what you plan to be your first team when you're this close to the season opener? I'm not saying the result was because of that but its a bit weird really considering the rest of the side, bar Deasey, was our first team.

Hamilton

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 10:01:10 PM »

Need more than one, and we've got about 15 midfielders. No A Trialist tonight though.

I fear the right mid position will be filled with one of the midfielders, none of whom, imho, are at their best right mid.

Hamilton

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 10:02:57 PM »

Poor result. What reasoning could there possibly be for Heathcote starting in our penultimate pre-season fixture? Surely you start what you plan to be your first team when you're this close to the season opener? I'm not saying the result was because of that but its a bit weird really considering the rest of the side, bar Deasey, was our first team.

I'd guess to see if he woud be a decent enough fill-in in defence ad to see if we need to sign a covering defender.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 10:25:52 PM »

On tonight's showing there's still decisions to make. I've liked Rankine in every game. I thought O'Keefe came into his own when pushing forward 2nd half. Think Griffiths was shackled from the moment he got his first half yellow card. We desperately need energy in the side. Lawrie, Richman and Sinnott all gave us energy and drive in the second half. And Crowther performed better on the left in second half. If we are to get the best out of a reeves/Rankine partnership we must quickly get out of the habit of just T**tting it forward. And as mentioned at the match, get an affective link between the midfield and that front pairing.Looked good together when they had it, feeding them was the problem.Also get James Lawrie off corners, and get Crowther running the byline and crossing, he's got the ability and the pace, needs to get his mojo back on the score

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 09:36:22 AM »

First half poor, second half better. Trafford seemed to want to play a cup-tie whereas Altrincham wanted a pre-season warm up. Some of the tackling was out of order and in ordinary game Griffiths would have been sent off before the interval. Second half James Lawrie made all the difference and Jordan Sinnott looks good at full back to me.

taxi Phil

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 10:13:31 AM »

On tonight's showing there's still decisions to make. I've liked Rankine in every game. I thought O'Keefe came into his own when pushing forward 2nd half. Think Griffiths was shackled from the moment he got his first half yellow card. We desperately need energy in the side. Lawrie, Richman and Sinnott all gave us energy and drive in the second half. And Crowther performed better on the left in second half. If we are to get the best out of a reeves/Rankine partnership we must quickly get out of the habit of just T**tting it forward. And as mentioned at the match, get an affective link between the midfield and that front pairing.Looked good together when they had it, feeding them was the problem.Also get James Lawrie off corners, and get Crowther running the byline and crossing, he's got the ability and the pace, needs to get his mojo back on the score
I think that link is Lawrie.....unfortunately he only came on when Rankine went off. We really have to try that set up against  Vale.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 10:30:19 AM »

Fair comments that by hale Alty. I think Griffiths could have gone as could the lad from Trafford that went in on Shaun Densmore, just thankful it wasn't as bad an injury as initially feared. And Romeo correct about James Lawrie, if we do play him behind a front two we really need to get our sh*t together at the back. We'd score plenty but be very open. Trafford will do well this season, baker and Denham have them well fired up. And but for his age I'd take a look at the striker they've signed from northwich. Albeit we didn't have a settled defence all night. I think Sam Heathcote is one for the future, and will go far in the game but needs blooding properly first. Last night we really should have played as strong an 11 as possible, and would have easily won the game if we had done.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 11:14:31 AM »

Sam Heathcote is one for the future, and will go far in the game but needs blooding properly first.

With this in mind, we need to get him loaned out to as high a club as possible to get him the required experience. I simply don't think the level our reserve team plays at will be of any benefit to a player at that stage of his development.
Come on Alty!

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 11:53:56 AM »

Sam Heathcote is one for the future, and will go far in the game but needs blooding properly first.

With this in mind, we need to get him loaned out to as high a club as possible to get him the required experience. I simply don't think the level our reserve team plays at will be of any benefit to a player at that stage of his development.

Agreed - surely he can be offered out to teams like Stalybridge or Curzon for example?

If we play Lawrie behind a front two, I assume we'd effectively be playing a diamond - in which case we'd probably lose a bit of width anyway.  Although it seems having that many forwards in this Alty team is a recipe for disaster.

If it's a proper right winger we're after, I assume Joe Thompson is still available around the North West and might be worth a go

taxi Phil

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 12:44:07 PM »

Sam wouldn't get enough game time at Stalybridge or Curzon. After their enjoyment of Duncan Watmore in his early days, Clitheroe would probably be delighted  to give him a try. Certainly it's at that sort of level where the lad will gain immediate benefits.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Trafford match thread