PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Team for Saturday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Team for Saturday  (Read 13245 times)

Jimmy

Re: Team for Saturday
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2015, 10:45:20 PM »

What?  It can't by far weaker than last year because the first XI is pretty much the same.  We have the same first XI, the same defensive back up,  a striker who is probably better than Perry and the rest of the bench is unproven who may or may not be better than last year's subs bench.  Not the progress we would have liked certainly but 'by far weaker' - no chance
for my money we had a better team in 2014 than last year because we had Walshaw as for this year even without pre season I know deasey is better than Parton and rankine better than Perry Sinnott not as good as Williams or wilko the rest I will see in time

Bath Alty

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2015, 10:47:47 PM »

I wouldn't disagree with that - my assertion wasn't that this years squad is the best we've had for years, it was this years squad is not 'by far the weakest we've had for years' .

Sybil's opinion is faulty

GB Alty

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2015, 11:25:37 PM »

What?  It can't by far weaker than last year because the first XI is pretty much the same.  We have the same first XI, the same defensive back up,  a striker who is probably better than Perry and the rest of the bench is unproven who may or may not be better than last year's subs bench.  Not the progress we would have liked certainly but 'by far weaker' - no chance
No we don't at all, what rubbish

Wasn't Cavanagh in the starting XI last season? (and will probably be replaced by Sinnott jnr)

How much weaker do you want?

So we've changed one player in the first XI, who was far from ever present, from the team that finished the higher up the pyramid than any Alty team for best part of a decade and we are 'by far the weakest squad we've had for years' - that's just complete nonsense.  Can't be bothered to do a like for like comparison with the squad that started 3 or 4 years ago but I'm fairly confident no-one would swap either of those squads for this one!
2008/09 we came 15th, 2009/10 we came 14th, last year we came 17th. Try to get the basics right Bath Alty

And yes both those sides were better than this, as were the sides from the previous three years

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2015, 11:40:49 AM »

I thought we got bullied more than a few times last year, inc Blyth and Bath and I'm assuming that's what's behind a few of the changes. Couple that with the fact that sides know what we're about suggests to me LS is looking to put out a less open team this year. I liked Williams but he tended to drift in and out of games and centre mid can't really do that, whether Okeefe and Griffith will fit only time will tell. We all know that pace and power up front is key in this league, hopefully Bowerman and Rankine will give us something which was missing last year.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2015, 11:59:52 AM »

Just a follow up anyone know where Sean Williams is now?

GB Alty

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2015, 12:15:57 PM »

Head Coach at Jamie Carragher Soccer Schools

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2015, 12:49:49 PM »

Took a look at the website...........Jimmy Olsen is there as well
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2015, 02:36:06 PM »

His choice to leave?

GB Alty

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2015, 02:55:13 PM »

His choice to leave?
No, he was gutted to be released

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2015, 04:34:58 PM »

No we don't at all, what rubbish

Wasn't Cavanagh in the starting XI last season? (and will probably be replaced by Sinnott jnr)

How much weaker do you want?

How many games did  Cavanagh play in which he was neither booked  nor sent off ?  I bet it amounts to less than half the season. Though I'm not yet convinced about Griffith, who reminds me of Carl Rodgers.

I've seen people saying Cavanagh only played half a season and Williams also. Well they replaced each other didn't they. I'd have said from what I've seen so far (and it's not a great deal in fairness) that neither O'Keefe or Griffith are better than either Cavanagh or Williams.

Hopefully I'll be proved wrong, people have said Griffith struck up good partnerships with his midfielders so I'm hopeful there.

And it might not be this thread but Densmore never got the not good enough treatment because he was superb from day one.

Clee did because he was about a stone overweight when he signed and took a while to get going. The initial criticism was fully justified. It'd be madness to drop him now though, especially if playing 442.

joe

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2015, 04:39:14 PM »

What I've seen of Griffith so far I'd say he's a poor mans Carl Rodgers which doesn't bode well but I'm prepared to give the lad time to fit into the club and get match fit.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Team for Saturday