PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southport - MATCH THREAD
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Southport - MATCH THREAD  (Read 22511 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Southport - MATCH THREAD
« on: August 30, 2015, 08:44:14 AM »

Can I just start by saying I thought yesterday's performance against Tranmere was outstanding, bar a 30 second switch off after the substitution that led to their goal we were excellent from 1-11 for 90 mins, and deservedly took 3 points.

On to tomorrow, we must break our haig avenue hoodoo. To build on yesterday and take 3 points at southport would be an excellent return from the weekend. Southport had two players red carded yesterday and this is their worst start for 40 years. Listening to the post match podcast, Paul carden sounds a beaten man. Let's make sure we travel in big numbers and get behind the lads. Tomorrow is the day to get our firsts points of the season on the road

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Southport - MATCH THREAD
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 08:50:17 AM »

Need to get an early lead. The lads were running on empty in the last 10 and understandably so. I'm sure the last time I saw us win at Southport was the same BH weekend 94-95. There might have been one in the 00's somewhere but we seem to always lose there, no better chance than tomorrow and yesterday's great performance

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 08:59:15 AM »

Need to build on yesterday , would be typical if we lose to a team some of their fans are saying are pretty poor.

Hemel Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 09:02:52 AM »

Hopefully we wont revert to last season's habit of beating the top sides and losing to those below us.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 09:12:10 AM »

Hope it's not gale force winds like last year ... huge game .. up the reds
ParkINson's red and white army

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 09:28:57 AM »

It will be a test, for the first time this season we will play a team that wont play possession football, might be time to play 442 as our style so far as counter attacking is deigned to neutralise the possesion threat.  Also they will be seeing it as a key fixture to start their campaign
Bernard Taylors barmy army

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 11:56:52 AM »

No Brodie to fall down in last minute and win free kick this time  .

brian1925

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 12:39:26 PM »

Speaking to several Southport fans this morning, their club is in disarray right now. They are expecting to lose to us and be searching for a new manager tomorrow evening. Absolutely perfect conditions for us to lose! Now, had they been top and unbeaten, I'd have fancied our chances. Having said that, we've never had a better chance to beat them at their place.

taxi Phil

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 01:07:42 PM »

If Ranks plays anywhere near as well as yesterday, this should be a given. They're short a centre back and a defensive midfielder, and it's unthinkable that we concede a goal to a team who've only got one goal all season.

Jimmy

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 01:18:10 PM »

It will be a test, for the first time this season we will play a team that wont play possession football, might be time to play 442 as our style so far as counter attacking is deigned to neutralise the possesion threat.  Also they will be seeing it as a key fixture to start their campaign
with them being at home they will still probably have more possession as for not playing the same system I'm not sure who would be dropped

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 04:05:34 PM »

Need to get an early lead. The lads were running on empty in the last 10 and understandably so. I'm sure the last time I saw us win at Southport was the same BH weekend 94-95. There might have been one in the 00's somewhere but we seem to always lose there, no better chance than tomorrow and yesterday's great performance

We've not won at Haig Avenue since a 3-1 victory there on Saturday, 14th December 1996, when the quasi-legendary Danny McGoona made his Alty debut.

The Robins' goalscorers on that afternoon were Neil Doherty, Niell Hardy and Paul Cain (he of the infamous chip pan incident).

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 04:29:37 PM »

We've not won at Haig Avenue since a 3-1 victory there on Saturday, 14th December 1996, when the quasi-legendary Danny McGoona made his Alty debut.

The Robins' goalscorers on that afternoon were Neil Doherty, Niell Hardy and Paul Cain (he of the infamous chip pan incident).

That was our third successive win there. The previous season 2-1 with Andy Allan and Mick Carmody scoring? Or was the first an og?

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 05:07:49 PM »

I was worried that at Dover we would be tired after Grimsby...and it would appear our lacklustre performance at the Crabble was due to weariness.

We have less time to recover for Haig Avenue and little prospect of squad rotation.

roytonmike

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 05:54:55 PM »

I was worried that at Dover we would be tired after Grimsby...and it would appear our lacklustre performance at the Crabble was due to weariness.
We have less time to recover for Haig Avenue and little prospect of squad rotation.
This is my main worry about tomorrow's game. The squad will have to be as per Sat - assuming no further knocks, in which case Swift would be the only alternative available - & Reeves for Bowerman would be the only realistic 'rotation'. Hope Scouseport are at least as tired after their trip down the longest cul-de-sac in the world as we are after that heroic performance against Tranmere! Something's got to give - they have 0 points at home so far & we have 0 away; let's hope we're the happy ones in 23 hours' time!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 06:24:37 PM »

That was our third successive win there. The previous season 2-1 with Andy Allan and Mick Carmody scoring? Or was the first an og?

The first was definitely an own goal, possibly credited to Southport full back Derek Ward if I remember correctly.

Andy Allan scored in a 3-0 win at home to Morecambe the following week.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southport - MATCH THREAD