PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southport - MATCH THREAD
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Southport - MATCH THREAD  (Read 22510 times)

brian1925

Re: Southport - MATCH THREAD
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2015, 10:48:56 AM »

But most teams in our league play 442 Jimmy. We do actually have the 4 defenders and the 2 strikers to make it possible (when everybody is fit), but we lack mobility in midfield, as neither Lawrie or Sinnott are agile enough to link the midfield to the attack. If we were to go out tomorrow and get a nippy right sided midfielder and a better box to box player than the ineffective O'Keefe, we would probably be challenging for a play off place. It is fine margins in this league and it is frustrating to be so close and yet so far away. At the moment, the best we can hope for is for some of our injured players to return sooner than expected so we can get enough points to stay up. Or failing that, a successful foray into the loan market.

Jimmy

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2015, 11:04:08 AM »

So if most teams in the league play it which I'm not convinced they do anyway why not have the extra man in midfield if you play a better team like for like and most in the league are better than us the odds are we will lose richman and moult work very hard you can't fault them but niether  have the culture to play in a 2 man midfield though

VofD

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2015, 11:44:34 AM »

One third of the squad, Sinnott,Lawrie,Bowerman,Crowther,Griffith and O' Keefe, are just not good enough for this league. >:( >:(
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 03:44:14 PM by VofD »

brian1925

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 11:49:06 AM »

That's a bit harsh on Bowerman mate.Yes, he was awful yesterday, but you don't score the goals he has in recent matches by fluke. I completely agree with you on the others though. Southport played Bishop and Almond as theirfront two yesterday and in the only other match I've seen this season, Guiseley also played a front two.

Jimmy

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2015, 11:56:19 AM »

One third of the squad, Sinnott,Lawrie,Bowerman,Crowther,Griffith and O Keefe, are just not good enough for this league. >:( >:(
lawrie is good enough just inconsistent  bowerman scored 3 already I have no idea how good Griffiths and okeefe are yet
 And what I've seen of the other 2 they are not good enough

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2015, 11:58:25 AM »

Thought sinnott did well first half, and Lawrie is clearly good enough, just not consistent. I think aside from a weakened side, our heads dropped at continually being on the end of some atrocious refereeing decisions. The booking of Rankine for being clamoured by two defenders and standing in the way of the ball when the whole ground knew where it was heading being just two of the highlights. It's easy enough to say we should be mentally stronger than that but we really were on the end of some terrible decisions. The club should request if possible to never be officiated by Mr Coy again, it's the same rubbish Every time we have him. His interpretation of the game is frankly odd. I Console myself slightly with the fact that we would wipe the floor with southport at full strength, but our lack of depth is a real worry. And looking at fitness and sharpness, anyone not in the squad needs to be put in the reserves and get some game time, too many were ring rusty yesterday, understandable but not ideal. Get them game time. And never let us see jake moult start at centre back again, it's ok for ten mins in an emergency but he's too bigger miss in midfield and simply not a centre back. If we are short on numbers this week, get some of the reserves training with us through the week.

Jimmy

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2015, 12:01:36 PM »

That's a bit harsh on Bowerman mate.Yes, he was awful yesterday, but you don't score the goals he has in recent matches by fluke. I completely agree with you on the others though. Southport played Bishop and Almond as theirfront two yesterday and in the only other match I've seen this season, Guiseley also played a front two.
southport will get relegated so I wouldn't be in a hurry to play the same system and besides if we carried on playing 4 4 2 last season we would've gone down and if we didn't play it at all probably would've finished about twelve so why would you want to play it
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:03:34 PM by Jimmy »

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2015, 12:21:53 PM »

We were without Coburn, Havern, Marshall, Clee, Parry and Rankine yesterday; and then Richman was added to that list.  Any team would be seriously weakened by the loss of those players.  But truth be told even with a full squad we are light in midfield.  Any one of Lawrie, Sinnott O'Keefe or Crowther could survive and add value in a  4 man midfield of (say) Richman, Moult and Clee; or a 5 with the addition of Bowerman.  However 2 of them is one too many, particularly if off form.  And 3 of them weakens us further.  As for all 4...

Griffith on paper is the ideal "strong man " addition.  And so far we have only seen him on paper.  If he can become the player he is supposed to be, our problems will diminish significantly.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2015, 12:29:32 PM »

We need to get him in the reserves and get him match fit then

roytonmike

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2015, 01:22:48 PM »

Yesterday was rather as I feared - we had used up so much energy & effort v Tranmere that there was little or nothing left for Southport. Once the team selection was known it was clear there were going to be problems anyway (by the way, as Parry clearly wasn't fit enough to act as a sub why bother naming him? How late was his cry-off?) & Richman's failure to survive his first tackle - the knock he took on Saturday was clearly more serious than it seemed at the time - meant those problems were likely to be insuperable. However, that doesn't excuse the performances of O'Keefe (three headers without result & otherwise no positive contribution), Crowther (nothing on which to comment), Reeves (ring-rusty in the extreme) & Lawrie (as frustrating as ever). Sinnott tried hard to be the constructive playmaker in the first half in particular but at times he is dreadfully slow & faded out after the interval. Bowerman needs to get his head up when he has the ball & take note of where his team-mates are. The ref was eccentric, to put it kindly - even from the seated area it was clear to the naked eye that Griffin (who was once again exposed by the lack of any cover from left midfield) got the ball in the penalty incident - but to be honest Rankine should have realised that he was looking for minor nudges to penalise & avoided use of arms in challenges. All in all it was a pretty bad day at the office; God knows what the line-up will be on Saturday, so forecasting that game will be a pointless exercise until 2.30 pm on the day at least. I'll be there, hoping for the best, but not expecting anything. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southport - MATCH THREAD