PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Halifax - MATCH THREAD
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Halifax - MATCH THREAD  (Read 24667 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Halifax - MATCH THREAD
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2015, 01:06:57 AM »

Moult, rather unusually, had a nightmare of a game. But, on the whole, they were all poor. As for Lee, " 24 hours from....."?

Tulsa...?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

taxi Phil

« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »

Moult, rather unusually, had a nightmare of a game. But, on the whole, they were all poor. As for Lee, " 24 hours from....."?

Tulsa...?

He's finding that Altrincham is "A Town Without Pity".

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2015, 09:46:51 AM »

Horrible scrapy game but they wanted it more. I still feel we are far to open 4-4-2, Clee always needs 5 or 6 games to really get going but his and Crowther's injury records are poor. Parry has been good but we have one of the best centre backs in the league in Leather at right back, we simply need him in the centre.  Dens needs a couple of games to get fit again, we need him bobbing on the overlap. I am a Reeves fan but we need 3 in midfield so I would start Rankine as he has all attributes. I would love to say we are good enough to play two up top but we aren't and last night proved it again unfortunately.  We also need to get a bit more dirty in games, I don't mean horrible tackles just more physical and we need to step out and close down higher up the pitch a lot lot quicker.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2015, 09:58:46 AM »

Horrible scrapy game but they wanted it more. I still feel we are far to open 4-4-2, Clee always needs 5 or 6 games to really get going but his and Crowther's injury records are poor. Parry has been good but we have one of the best centre backs in the league in Leather at right back, we simply need him in the centre.  Dens needs a couple of games to get fit again, we need him bobbing on the overlap. I am a Reeves fan but we need 3 in midfield so I would start Rankine as he has all attributes. I would love to say we are good enough to play two up top but we aren't and last night proved it again unfortunately.  We also need to get a bit more dirty in games, I don't mean horrible tackles just more physical and we need to step out and close down higher up the pitch a lot lot quicker.

Spot on - I dreaded it the moment I realised we were essentailly setting up as 4-4-2. Lawrie behind Rankine has tended to work better so far, at least in Rankine we have something to make the ball stick up there.

We all know Leather is a class act and has to start in the middle. Full stop.  Dens can come straight back in at RB so he can get up to speed sooner rather than later.

Can I also spare a few words for Jordan Burrow - I thought he was absolutely magnificent last night, he took the chances he had. A goal scoring target man, they'll struggle to keep hold of him.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2015, 10:05:08 AM »

Agreed Burrow was very good! Reminded me of Constable back in the day

Jimmy

« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2015, 10:59:58 AM »

If we only play 1 upfront I'd normally play reeves but the management have got abit of homework to do and check out the type of teams we play and maybe sometimes use reeves sometimes rankine

brian1925

« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2015, 12:03:39 PM »

It's such a shame about the Reeves and Rankine not being in the same team. All it would take is one decent midfielder to fit alongside Jake and Si to make it possible.
What's even more damaging to our chances of doing well this year, is this endless list of injuries. Neither Clee nor Crowther seem to be able to string more than a couple of games together and this leaves us incredibly short of pace and width. It's key players who keep getting injured too. The management must be extremely frustrated by it all. Will we have more than12/13 players fit enough for Saturday?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2015, 12:19:16 PM »

As discussed last night, would it be that outlandish to suggesting playing reeves behind rankine? He's hardworking enough. Or using rankine on the right hand side as a wide attacking option

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2015, 01:09:59 PM »

Rankine is exactly what Reeves needs. He's not tall enough to compete in the air. He scored last night because he was unmarked. Most times he won't win a competition in the air but Rankine would.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »

Can I also spare a few words for Jordan Burrow - I thought he was absolutely magnificent last night, he took the chances he had. A goal scoring target man, they'll struggle to keep hold of him.

You can use all the words I used for most of last season when his face didn't seem to fit at Lincoln and all the ones I used in the summer urging us to try and sign him

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2015, 01:31:32 PM »

I don't think you can criticise Clee's work rate. It's been superb for four years. I think it's more not being fit enough to do so at the minute. Densmore too.

He was also told to do no exercise whatsoever for a period which would've been the problem.

Whether he could've laid off the crisps a bit I dunno  :-X

brian1925

« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2015, 02:08:19 PM »

Playing Reeves behind Rankine won't imo work. Reevesy is a poacher pure and simple, so I do not see him playing deeper. Rankine is a top pro, no doubt about that, but I don't think he has the energy levels to play out wide. I'd love to see them complementing each others game in and around the box, but the lack of width on the right and the lack of a box to box central midfielder comfortable on the ball, would leave the defence horribly exposed, as has been seen time and time again. I don't know what the answer is, but I doubt it's playing Reeves AND Rankine up tops.
Having said all that, I think we'll lose anyway on Saturday, so I guess it's worth a try.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2015, 03:09:20 PM »

As discussed last night, would it be that outlandish to suggesting playing reeves behind rankine? He's hardworking enough. Or using rankine on the right hand side as a wide attacking option
[I just think we are better with three midfield,  I even worry about Lawrie as the attacking mid because he doesn't work back and gives a lot of free kicks away, but without Clee or Crowther we need Lawrie central to create things. When we play with three central and two high wide forwards we still need the forwards to trek back and that's not Rankine's game and would be a waste.  I just don't think we can play 4-4-2 therefore for me it's either Reeves or Rankine with Lawrie as the attacking mid. I just feel Rankine keeps hold of it better to allow the wide men to catch up with play. However Reeves scores,  tough one but my main concern is creativity in the team. When Clee went off last night we then relied on our left back, obviously I am aware he was playing higher but we need a centre mid who creates and scores with ball winners like Richman and Moult around him. As I've said many times before a Steve Conners sort of player.]

M17

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2015, 03:26:45 PM »

Why doesn't lee put crowther on the right with clee on the left and they could swap the odd time aswell that would get the defender's thinking

Jimmy

« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2015, 04:29:20 PM »

When both are fit that would be the logical thing to do
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Halifax - MATCH THREAD