PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Leamington
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Leamington  (Read 12560 times)

bumble

Leamington
« on: December 07, 2015, 07:43:35 PM »

Atmosphere was one the best I've experienced. There were genuinely few moments of silence.

Let's get the golf road going from the off on Saturday. The lads will need a boost after yesterday.

andrewflynn

Re: Leamington
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 09:55:12 PM »

"We've got a diamond called Sam Heathcote..."

Bath Alty

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 10:09:03 PM »

there were a few new songs yesterday (or old ones reappearing) that I didn't know.  For occasions like that we could do with a song book for the uninitiated younger fans / exiles / those who normally  occupy parts of the ground away from the singers

What does Jake do before he drinks in the bar?

andrewflynn

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 10:11:21 PM »

there were a few new songs yesterday (or old ones reappearing) that I didn't know.  For occasions like that we could do with a song book for the uninitiated younger fans / exiles / those who normally  occupy parts of the ground away from the singers

What does Jake do before he drinks in the bar?

He hates the best-side
He drinks in the vault
He plays for Alty
His name is Jake Moult

I think it may be an idea to have a pinned thread on here where new lyrics can be discussed.

Bath Alty

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 11:05:02 PM »

no wonder I didn't get it - I've seen it written down and I still have no idea what it means!

bighairedmike

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 11:10:12 PM »

no wonder I didn't get it - I've seen it written down and I still have no idea what it means!

Back in the day pubs used to have the "Vault" which was mainly a working mans habitat, and the "best side", the latter being used by men accompanied by their good ladies. There is no reason to it, as far as I'm aware, just that vault and Moult rhyme. That's where it comes from.  :)

Jimmy

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 09:25:25 AM »

Jake is drinking in the Vault because he is are working class hero thus not going in the lounge eg (best side)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 12:56:37 PM »

You could go in the vault with your work gear on in the days when people had a few at dinner time.........and no, I don't mean solicitor's in Manchester having a few at lunchtime and then billing the Client.

Same applied in the evening with the Vault. Card games, darts and occasionally bad language................you took your girlfriend / wife in the 'best side' (lounge bar)

I often think the trend to create one-roomed open pubs has been part of their downfall, in that a lot of people these days don't know how to behave in a pub when others are in there with their Mother or Wife having a quiet drink or a meal. Having fella's fooling around, continually effin and geoffin has put some people off pubs ..........the best side and vault took care of this and made it simple
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 01:06:15 PM »

You could go in the vault with your work gear on in the days when people had a few at dinner time.........and no, I don't mean solicitor's in Manchester having a few at lunchtime and then billing the Client.

Same applied in the evening with the Vault. Card games, darts and occasionally bad language................you took your girlfriend / wife in the 'best side' (lounge bar)

I often think the trend to create one-roomed open pubs has been part of their downfall, in that a lot of people these days don't know how to behave in a pub when others are in there with their Mother or Wife having a quiet drink or a meal. Having fella's fooling around, continually effin and geoffin has put some people off pubs ..........the best side and vault took care of this and made it simple

I remember as a youngster - never being allowed round the 'other side' in the Railway in Hale (or the Railway in Mobberley, for that matter - where the gents even had their own vault toilets!)

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 01:19:27 PM »

I began my drinking career in The Bridge on Dane Rd, the beer was 1p cheaper in the vault. The landlord was nicknamed "The Toucan" due to his big nose, whoa betide you if he caught you buying the beer in the vault then sneaking round into the lounge.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

andrewflynn

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 05:04:09 PM »

Jake is drinking in the Vault because he is are working class hero thus not going in the lounge eg (best side)

Spot on.

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 05:22:51 PM »

I began my drinking career in The Bridge on Dane Rd, the beer was 1p cheaper in the vault. The landlord was nicknamed "The Toucan" due to his big nose, whoa betide you if he caught you buying the beer in the vault then sneaking round into the lounge.
SW have you been back there lately?  They expanded it quite a few years ago.   I was  a part of Sale cricket club's Sunday XI and we always got in trouble because of poor bar takings on a Sunday night back in the late '70s early '80s.   Quick one in the lounge and up to the Bridge for
Boddies!!

ripleym

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 06:50:47 PM »

I'm glad someone has explained this.

I know what a vault is, of course, but had no idea of the concept of 'best side; I thought this was an ironic reference to the other team we are playing at any given point, inferring that every team we play is better than us.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 06:59:36 PM »

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 07:04:58 PM »

I think this will be tough.  Hard to motivate after that ending and against a team that will want to show us up, expect counterattacking football from them which we are poor at playing against. Take a scruffy win
Bernard Taylors barmy army
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Leamington