PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Match OFF
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Match OFF  (Read 14567 times)

Bath Alty

Re: Match OFF
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 09:32:15 PM »

I wouldn't have been so annoyed if they had not been so sure it would be on because it pissed it down all day not that far away in the Cotswolds so I was unsure of risking it but encouraged by their "dry and firm" quote I decided to travel

Scottie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 09:48:46 PM »

Just this second got back with a car load of 4 of us and very disappointing. It was hammering down all the way there. 230 miles for a soggy burger and a programme !

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 09:55:49 PM »

I'm not sure what it is that people would like Leamington to have done differently. I've no reason to doubt that the pitch was as described this morning but then they had four hours of some of the most torrential rain I've ever experienced, which left the pitch clearly unplayable by the time the ref arrived.

One small comfort is that Richman would have missed tonight through illness apparently, so let's hope he and Densmore are fully fit by the time the match is played.

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 09:57:09 PM »

Just back with my lad having driven down, been royally ripped off at a Service station for food, to arrive at the ground just as they called it off. Was actually stood with the players when the decision was made, they were gobsmacked to say the least. Had a good chat with Neil about it and he reckoned it was the correct decision , admittedly it was extremely boggy from what we could see.

Question for me is how can their Twitter feed say " dry and firm " earlier to get to the state that pitch was in. Ok , I appreciate it had rained heavily and that is unavoidable...however I cannot believe it was " dry and firm" before the rain came down. It rained yes, but not in biblical proportions.

Gutted to say the least, not so much at the expense of the trip because I guess that is the chance you take, more at the apparent amateurism of the folks who implicated conditions were fine. I had double checked before setting off, now having to explain to a gutted 12 year old on how this can happen.

itbegan

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 10:03:48 PM »

I got down there at 5 o'clock this afternoon, me and my lad had tea in the car park and watched Snatch (highlight of the day) it was raining, but looked OK.
By 7pm corner flags puddled and goal mouth.
A Leamington director I was talking to said they would try for 5th Jan - they will have to cancel league game against Kettering, he also said they wanted to get the game played today.

whiskyalty

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 10:09:12 PM »

Just got back with four others yes a wasted journey but the ref made the right decision

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 10:17:24 PM »

Wow  that was a close shave. I said to my kids at 3.30pm do you fancy going, and they agreed but my Mrs reared up big time.

I wouldn't have checked the weather before leaving. It only started raining heavily here at 4pm but has lashed down since.

I don't see how Leamington can be blamed for not foreseeing the damage done by a later downpour. I am surprised that Braintree was on.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 11:23:31 PM »

Well that was one  expensive pint!!
Had a look at the pitch as soon as I got there.
You just new we wouldn't be playing on that.
It was saturated.

ShropshireAlty

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 11:33:03 PM »

Just worked it out and after petrol and m6 toll charges our two drinks cost us £36. Ouch!

Never mind as the pitch was in a right old state and if we'd have played, we'd have added a few to our injury list.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 11:38:39 PM »

As our players had to finish work and travel to the various meeting points for the Coach (left Moss Lane at about 3.30) any decision would have been made as to fitness of the pitch at probably 1.00pm latest the best part of seven hours before Kick Off.

Maybe there was rain forecast for later on but we all know how trustworthy the weather forecasts can be don't we?

Have spoken to a former work colleague who lives in the area and, had the rain come down say an hour later in the quantities she describes then we may well have started but not finished the game.

It's happened before and I suspect it will happen again. It's only due to luck really that we haven't been in the Leamington position ourselves once or twice in the past couple of years

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 12:46:24 AM »

To be fair why do we need to pass the blame it might just be an unfortunate hour where it rains.

Exactly.

Anyone else remember this one?

http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/050101ss.htm
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 07:32:56 AM »

I remember an APL Cup match against I think Wealdstone in the late 1970's. There had been no rain all day or that week for that matter. Then there was an almighty downpour at about 5.30pm as I was coming out of work in Manchester. When I got to the ground the pitch was waterlogged and the area in front of what is now the family stand was like a swimming pool. Alty fans scooped and shovelled the water to no avail. When the Wealdstone supporters coach arrived they were horrified as they hadn't come across any rain on their journey up.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 09:05:55 AM »

I feel very sorry for everyone who had a wasted journey and the unnecessary expense that went with it.

At the end of the day, though, the situation was beyond everyone's control and it's just one of those unfortunate things that happens occasionally. Had the shoe been on the other foot I think we would have been a bit bemused by Leamington fans slating our club for extreme weather causing a postponement.
Come on Alty!

roytonmike

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2015, 09:41:03 AM »

I feel very sorry for everyone who had a wasted journey and the unnecessary expense that went with it.
At the end of the day, though, the situation was beyond everyone's control and it's just one of those unfortunate things that happens occasionally. Had the shoe been on the other foot I think we would have been a bit bemused by Leamington fans slating our club for extreme weather causing a postponement.
Absolutely right. Given the amount of rain that fell here in the early afternoon in particular I would have been very surprised had a match gone ahead at say Curzon or Ashton in the evening, and evidently that rain hit Leamington from about 4pm. Nothing they could do about it - the expression 'act of God' covers the situation perfectly. The next available date is probably Jan 5 - I assume the FA will simply tell Leamington to postpone any existing fixture & prioritise the Trophy game. The delay won't help travel arrangements for any 2nd Round game, of course, but that can't be helped either.
Let's hope Moss Lane isn't similarly awash on Saturday - the forecast doesn't look exactly promising! 

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »

It's now confirmed as 5th Jan, Leamington only haw games on Boxing Day and the 2nd as opposed to three like us. They were due to play Kettering on the 5th but now play us
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Match OFF