PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chester (away) - Match Thread
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Chester (away) - Match Thread  (Read 57042 times)

Jimmy

Re: Chester (away) - Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2016, 06:55:18 PM »

As much as I think he likes to troll at times, I continue to agree with Ham here.
Although
For months now we've been filling out the first team squad with players who, quite frankly, wouldn't be good enough at Evo-Stik level. For the life of me I can't figure out why more people aren't seriously concerned with that.

I've openly said that the nucleus of our squad is League quality, but those same players are being run into the ground because there is no alternate option to them. Look at the time Shaun Densmore has had to spend out because he was rushed back, the same can be said of Michael Rankine. Look at what we've had to ask of Nicky Clee.

We've tried to wing it like we did last season, where we were really quite lucky with injuries and suspensions, and it has come back to haunt us completely.

No viable alternatives being brought in to combat our problems, despite a pretty decent cup run and a consistent revenue stream in the CSH, falls completely on the shoulders of the management and the club.

If we don't act now, (we should have acted months ago), then it absolutely stinks of consolidation. Better to go down doing all we can than to just turn up at places with 18 year olds on the bench who may as well not have brought their boots with them.
although Sinnott has done a fair job that's a decent post

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2016, 07:03:09 PM »

As much as I think he likes to troll at times, I continue to agree with Ham here.

For months now we've been filling out the first team squad with players who, quite frankly, wouldn't be good enough at Evo-Stik level. For the life of me I can't figure out why more people aren't seriously concerned with that.

I've openly said that the nucleus of our squad is League quality, but those same players are being run into the ground because there is no alternate option to them. Look at the time Shaun Densmore has had to spend out because he was rushed back, the same can be said of Michael Rankine. Look at what we've had to ask of Nicky Clee.

We've tried to wing it like we did last season, where we were really quite lucky with injuries and suspensions, and it has come back to haunt us completely.

No viable alternatives being brought in to combat our problems, despite a pretty decent cup run and a consistent revenue stream in the CSH, falls completely on the shoulders of the management and the club.

If we don't act now, (we should have acted months ago), then it absolutely stinks of consolidation. Better to go down doing all we can than to just turn up at places with 18 year olds on the bench who may as well not have brought their boots with them.

How then do you enlarge the squad with quality cover on the same budget without sacrificing the better players who presumably will be on more? We have gone for quality not quantity which potentially leaves us screwed if the quantity drops but you then risk losing some of the quality to pay for the extra cover.

If there is a big pile of money sitting there and no attempt is being made to strengthen the squad then that is clearly wrong, but I can't be certain that is the case. The money we have has always been spent. The records show that.

GB Alty

« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2016, 07:07:06 PM »

How then do you enlarge the squad with quality cover on the same budget without sacrificing the better players who presumably will be on more? We have gone for quality not quantity which potentially leaves us screwed if the quantity drops but you then risk losing some of the quality to pay for the extra cover.

If there is a big pile of money sitting there and no attempt is being made to strengthen the squad then that is clearly wrong, but I can't be certain that is the case. The money we have has always been spent. The records show that.
the unbudgeted cup money hasn't been spent yet (well not on strengthening the team anyway)

Sheffield_Alty

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2016, 07:10:40 PM »

anyone know when James Lawrie is going to start playing for us again? haven't seen him do anything decent in a long, long time

andrewflynn

« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2016, 07:15:44 PM »

I've never said anything about quality cover. As I said on another thread none of us are after the next Ryan Shotton here.

A couple of loan signings would only have to be adequate, at best, to relieve Jordan Sinnott of right-back duty and provide competition for places with the likes of George Bowerman.

The lack of competition for places in the squad is quite concerning actually, it isn't healthy. The same players know they're playing. Scott Leather isn't half the player he was when Tom Marshall was knocking on the door.  On the other hand, look at how Damian Reeves snatched up his chance once he got in ahead of an injured Michael Rankine.

anyone know when James Lawrie is going to start playing for us again? haven't seen him do anything decent in a long, long time

Funny this should be posted while I was finishing up. The same can be said about James Lawrie actually, he's got to know that there's f**k all coming off the bench to replace him. They're too busy doing their A Level revision.

Bath Alty

« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2016, 09:27:44 PM »

Shaun has not been 'rushed back'  as he said himself on the radio on Saturday his knee has felt absolutely fine a couple of times now and he has come back only for it to go again for unknown reasons.  He had the medical OK to come back.

Nicky was scheduled for his op once Shaun was back which has been 'soon' for a long time now.

If we picked up Parry from Luton our scouting must be OK.

There are limitations on loan deals outside the window but we would clearly qualify for those - as others have said the big problem we face compared to others seeking loan players from higher clubs (and why would we loan from lower down?) is that they want their players to train full time and we can't offer that.  The player can't train with his team during the day and us in the evening.

That said there is no doubt our inability to find some reinforcements has been very disappointing

taxi Phil

« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2016, 10:14:26 PM »

Rafa Benitez is out of work. Perhaps we should borrow HIS little black book......

Joking apart, I'm not pointing MY finger anywhere. From the moment Griffith shat on us, we've been in a downward spiral with injuries and a distinct lack of luck on the pitch. It was always going to be a battle.....I still believe we will stay in this league.

We need loans now. And we need to ship a few out and replace them with better options come summer.

And if anyone out there thinks it's going to be easy, they're sadly deluded.

Lee Sinnott may not be the perfect manager.....if he was he wouldn't be in the National League. But if anybody thinks there's a viable alternative lurking out there, I'd love to know who it is.

We fight on....I believe we will survive.

eightiesrobin

« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2016, 10:42:42 PM »

Rafa Benitez is out of work. Perhaps we should borrow HIS little black book......

Joking apart, I'm not pointing MY finger anywhere. From the moment Griffith shat on us, we've been in a downward spiral with injuries and a distinct lack of luck on the pitch. It was always going to be a battle.....I still believe we will stay in this league.

We need loans now. And we need to ship a few out and replace them with better options come summer.

And if anyone out there thinks it's going to be easy, they're sadly deluded.

Lee Sinnott may not be the perfect manager.....if he was he wouldn't be in the National League. But if anybody thinks there's a viable alternative lurking out there, I'd love to know who it is.

We fight on....I believe we will survive.

I could think of one

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2016, 11:22:29 PM »

So who would that be then?

andrewflynn

« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2016, 11:34:10 PM »

Me

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2016, 08:44:13 AM »

What does frustrate me is that, resources aside, clubs around us are snapping up players that should be on our radar at the very least. Barrow signed Jordan Williams from Northwich and he scored for them at the weekend, for Christ's sake.

Loads of clubs are now releasing 'broken toys' e.g. potential Jack Redshaws, who would be infinitely better than some of the options we have.

Just to name one example, Jon Nolan was highly rated by Lincoln but never quite hit the heights, from Merseyside and ex-Stockport - surely worth bringing in for a trial, although you could argue not a priority position, he might be worth taking a look at in case Moult does move on in the summer. A bit of forward planning never hurt anyone.

Carlisle have just extended right winger Joe Thompson's contract by 6 months as he is finally beginning to show glimpses of his old quality (after cancer) off the bench for them, but needs more game time. Surely we should be asking them if we can take him on loan for a month, and they can take a good look at him with an option to take him back after the month?

Hamilton

« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2016, 07:24:22 PM »

Whenever he lays behing a lone forward from what I gather!

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2016, 08:34:02 PM »

Whenever he lays behing a lone forward from what I gather!

Correct
From almost useless (bit harsh maybe) to very useful in a mere positional move
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chester (away) - Match Thread