PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dover Match thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Dover Match thread  (Read 23250 times)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Dover Match thread
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2016, 01:03:20 AM »

As others have said earlier in this thread, losing tonight to a decent (top six) side is not the problem. The players worked very hard tonight and there was no lack of passion or effort from the players and I would not single any individual out within the team tonight.

What there is though is a lack of overall quality as a team - reflected by our league position - as others have said, failing to beat Torquay, Kiddy, Southport, Halifax and Guiseley at home is the real problem - especially when most of them were crap at the time we played them 

I have posted before that the real problem in my view was the poor summer recruitment of players meaning the best starting 11 is still almost the team that won the Conf North Playoff final. The team has not improved to reflect our upgraded league status. Add the horrendous bad luck with injuries this season and the fact we did very little about replacing injured players (for which we may not have had the finances to do so) until it was too late and that tells us the story

Can still be done - but looking more and more unlikely.................3 points Saturday is a start
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:46:07 AM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

M17

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2016, 06:13:21 AM »

Two words total rubbish Philips is that bad he couldn't get in the Gateshead team and a couple of player will leave whether they want them to stay or not and the legend will probably be one aswell

brian1925

« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2016, 06:19:34 AM »

Our summer recruitment was not great, Ranks and Deasy excepted. The injuries have been horrible in the sense that two of them were the worst ones we could have had. We've played half the season with nothing on the bench whatsoever and while we did so, our immediate rivals were busy bringing reinforcements in. Added to that, our rat of a manager deserted the sinking ship he had built and (from what I've heard) one or two of the senior players have thrown enormous strops. Finally, the chairman unfortunately failed to act decisively when he really needed to most.
Conference National has now practically gone I'm afraid. Next season could be okay if we're able to keep most of the starting line up from tonight and get our injured quartet back.

Jimmy

« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2016, 07:24:28 AM »

I'm finished for this season. I won't be renewing my season ticket either. That doesn't mean I won't be at some games, but there'll need to be a vast improvement before I re-engage.

We need to decide a lot of things pretty damn quick. Are we happy to let Tolson loose with basically the same squad in Conference North ? Do want our nice passing game and mediocrity ? Or do we build a new more physical squad that can battle us back up ?

"There Are More Questions Than Answers".
not sure we have had a passing game this season

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2016, 09:34:54 AM »

We fact as haven't played a passing game all seson if the reason why we're in the sh*t.

The reason(s) we have changed out style of play is baffling
Full time and proud of it

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2016, 10:10:21 AM »

This scenario was all very predictable. We never got over pathetic recruitment in the summer, Deasy, superb and player of the season for me, rankine double figure goal tally enough said, the rest absolutely bloody woeful. Having calmed down ever so slightly since last night,I will be in attendance on Saturday and at Torquay. But it's going to take a miracle now in my opinion. The manager got out to not blot his copybook and we are left with this situation. We needed to show intent after Sinnott went, and didn't, simple as that. I've no problem losing to Dover they were everything we should strive to be, football is a results business. We've won 11 matches since this time last year, not acceptable. A firefighter should have been approached/appointed when Sinnott went, but we sat on our hands. I can't believe a couple of senior players have stropped, it doesn't sound like our squad but if they have they should be gone in the summer if they want to stay or not.

Should we stay up or go down I'd keep about three of them, they are so well looked after here it's about time they were told Theyve 5 games to save their conference careers. I'd also bring another manager in today if possible, you've got people sat at home that might just get a reaction in these five games, time to be bold

finnquark

« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2016, 10:19:57 AM »

Living down south means I've been to a handful of games this season, but every time I've been (with exception of Fax/Port over Easter) I came away telling myself, and mates that came, that we'd be ok. Tranmere at home, Bromley away, Borehamwood away, Welling away, Lincoln at home. After the last four of those games, my reaction was always that if we just win two or three of our next five or six then we'll pull away. But we've had no consistency at all (again). This has to come back to recruitment and injuries - totally agree with others who have said Ranks and Deasy have impressed, but we made mistakes with other players, and it has cost us. Obviously injuries played their part, but we played for too long with no viable substitutes.

There is also the fact that we're just not good enough, especially defensively. Too many mistakes at important times, and similarly shoddy finishing. And when we play with two centre mids, we just gift chance after chance to teams from 25-18 yards out. The idea that this is fine, it'll take a worldie to beat a keeper from there, is a nonsense - combined with defensive mistakes, it means we give far too many chances away, and failing to take our own means we deserve to be in the drop zone. The tactical ineptitude at the Shay summed this season up. Going off the games I have seen, Lawrie is the player I would have replaced with a third centre mid, but then others have said Lawrie has played well at times, so what do I know.

TLDR - we deserve to be where we are due to poor transfer dealings and being too open in midfield.

Jezza

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2016, 10:56:13 AM »

We are not organised or clever enough...when we are 1-0 up we need to be frustrating the opposition by breaking up play...niggling the opposition out of their initiative with a bit of gamesmanship...we actually miss kyle for this...
I think we have the players to have got out of this...we have seriously lacked a bit of nouse....

Jimmy

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2016, 11:04:57 AM »

The biggest loss is Densmore pehaps are main loan target should've been a right back,who knows

andrewflynn

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2016, 11:44:52 AM »

The biggest loss is Densmore pehaps are main loan target should've been a right back,who knows

Jordan Sinnott has been okay at right back and has filled in well enough. The biggest loss was what Anthony Griffith had the potential to be. Criminal that we never found a like-for-like replacement.

ShropshireAlty

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2016, 12:21:16 PM »

My thoughts exactly. We needed to be bold when Lee Sinnott left but we didn't and were told we are a friendly, family club that look after people. A noble aim and all that but it's results that count and carrying on pretty much the same as Sinnott would have done is not doing us any favours. I really hope to hear a very bold statement in the coming days but I totally suspect I won't and it will be business as usual and we will go down.

This scenario was all very predictable. We never got over pathetic recruitment in the summer, Deasy, superb and player of the season for me, rankine double figure goal tally enough said, the rest absolutely bloody woeful. Having calmed down ever so slightly since last night,I will be in attendance on Saturday and at Torquay. But it's going to take a miracle now in my opinion. The manager got out to not blot his copybook and we are left with this situation. We needed to show intent after Sinnott went, and didn't, simple as that. I've no problem losing to Dover they were everything we should strive to be, football is a results business. We've won 11 matches since this time last year, not acceptable. A firefighter should have been approached/appointed when Sinnott went, but we sat on our hands. I can't believe a couple of senior players have stropped, it doesn't sound like our squad but if they have they should be gone in the summer if they want to stay or not.

Should we stay up or go down I'd keep about three of them, they are so well looked after here it's about time they were told Theyve 5 games to save their conference careers. I'd also bring another manager in today if possible, you've got people sat at home that might just get a reaction in these five games, time to be bold

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2016, 12:51:15 PM »

My thoughts exactly. We needed to be bold when Lee Sinnott left but we didn't and were told we are a friendly, family club that look after people. A noble aim and all that but it's results that count and carrying on pretty much the same as Sinnott would have done is not doing us any favours. I really hope to hear a very bold statement in the coming days but I totally suspect I won't and it will be business as usual and we will go down.

brilliant posts it's still not to late to make a significant change and statement of intent
ParkINson's red and white army

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2016, 01:45:36 PM »

Jordan Sinnott has been okay at right back and has filled in well enough. The biggest loss was what Anthony Griffith had the potential to be. Criminal that we never found a like-for-like replacement.

Not really. Griffith never had the potential to do anything but run around, because even his greatest supporters told us how bad he was at passing, so O'Keefe has largely filled that when selected.

Or at least Jordan Sinnott could but was drafted in to right back.

We've never found a like for like replacement for Cavanagh (or even Williams actually).

I'd also contend that the injuries to Densmore and Clee deprived us of the two players who have most character and heart in the squad.

The diagnosis and treatment (edit: management might be a better word here) of said injuries wasn't up to standard either I'm afraid. Or it appears.

andrewflynn

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2016, 03:08:59 PM »

Not really. Griffith never had the potential to do anything but run around, because even his greatest supporters told us how bad he was at passing, so O'Keefe has largely filled that when selected.

Or at least Jordan Sinnott could but was drafted in to right back.

We've never found a like for like replacement for Cavanagh (or even Williams actually).

I'd also contend that the injuries to Densmore and Clee deprived us of the two players who have most character and heart in the squad.

The diagnosis and treatment (edit: management might be a better word here) of said injuries wasn't up to standard either I'm afraid. Or it appears.

Yeah that's true, to be fair.

brian1925

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2016, 09:02:40 PM »

Good point made by Jezza about Kyle and his professionalism and i was thinking just the same thing myself last night. He was a bloody awful footballer, but I'd like to have seen Raggett try and rugby tackle him.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dover Match thread