PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Questions Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Questions Thread  (Read 39620 times)

GB Alty

Re: Questions Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2016, 01:51:31 PM »

If he's applied then interview him.

If he's the best candidate give him the job

I think if he applies, under UK employment law you have to interview him, else you have a potential legal suit against you. So if he wasn't interviewed I would be worried, as it may expose the club to litigation.

Whatever...I do not think he will be manager next season, not that I have any personal axe to grind against the guy.
When, once more, a questioner queried the caretaker appointment, GR stated that "Neil has taken on the job and has done his best with a lot of hard work". This was met with applause from the majority in the CSH.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2016, 03:21:11 PM »

Things I liked from Saturday night:

* Leaving aside the issues around the actual timing of the forum, the board took questions for around 2 hours. They could have easily hidden behind the excuse of 'scheduling' to cut it short. But they didn't. And that should be commended.

* I thought they dealt with the Griffiths situation admirably at the forum. They could have pushed the full blame on the player and used it as an excuse for relegation, but they didn't. They accepted mistakes were made and the signing was rushed. What's happened has happened, but I felt reassured that the lessons had been learnt and steps would be taken to avoid a similar situation in future.

* The offer to pay the supporters coach to Braintree was a great gesture. Watching us away this season hasn't been easy, and it also shows an effort to try and build bridges with the fans.

Parts I wasn't so keen on:

* The constant reference by the board to "hindsight" when questioned about NT appointment. Funny how everyone else at the club apart from the board had the "foresight" to see exactly how it would end - with the most avoidable relegation we've ever had. Given that GR was clearly so devastated by LS departure (despite winning 2 games in 5 months and us heading for the drop), and then appointed NT (who's only previous job as a manager was the 3 years he spent trying to relegate Hyde Utd/FC), I've zero faith in the judgement of the board when it comes to employing the next football manager. I judge that on their recent track record, not on anything personal. Let's hope I'm wrong. Also, the nonsense about not wanting to upset the current squad by bringing a new manager in was poor. Seriously, how soft are we? In "hindsight", the appointment we did make doesn't seem to have done much for squad unity anyway.

* We banged the drum about being one of only 3 clubs in the league with no paid (non-football) employees. Small club mentality, again. Besides, I thought we had a few paid staff on the community side who worked at the football club everyday? We wouldn't judge other clubs as 2 separate entities and we shouldn't look at ourselves in such a way. While I wouldn't want to underestimate the workload that is picked up by unpaid volunteers sacrificing their time for free, we do have paid employees and (as was pointed out by someone on Saturday night) we need to stop belittling ourselves at every opportunity.

* I wasn't keen on GR listing the decline in the football club fund raising year on year, and the claim fans weren't supporting club events. It didn't take into account the fact that a lot of the fund raisers now are in aid of the sports hall, that would have previously gone towards the football club (eg the bike ride to Braintree, or the gang doing the Manc 10k - correct me if I am wrong there as I haven't double checked his before writing). We also seem to have more fundraiser events held at the club than ever before. I don't disagree with fund raising to pay off the hall or for any other initiative, that is a separate argument, just don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. To be fair, that point did seem to be accepted by the board.

bumble

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2016, 03:46:23 PM »

If Shaun Densmore is contracted and currently club captain until a new appointment is made, would it be an idea to have him involved in interviews to give a players perspective?

I'm not saying give him a vote but perhaps he can add something?

ripleym

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2016, 04:11:06 PM »

It didn't take into account the fact that a lot of the fund raisers now are in aid of the sports hall, that would have previously gone towards the football club (eg the bike ride to Braintree, or the gang doing the Manc 10k - correct me if I am wrong there as I haven't double checked his before writing). 

We are trying to manage the bike ride to Braintree 50/50 between Prostate Cancer UK and Altrincham Football Club Community Sports.  The 10k run is indeed going 100% towards the latter.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2016, 04:11:16 PM »

I know what you're saying, Jack, but being interviewed for a job by one of your prospective employees would be a bit weird to say the least.
Come on Alty!

GB Alty

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2016, 05:31:44 PM »

If Shaun Densmore is contracted and currently club captain until a new appointment is made, would it be an idea to have him involved in interviews to give a players perspective?

nonsense - in what world do you interview your boss?

finnquark

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2016, 05:42:32 PM »

Teaching.

Cue a load of reactionary nonsense.

bumble

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2016, 06:32:35 PM »

Teaching.

Advertising.

My last company consulted senior designers before appointing the leader of their department as if someone is contracted you're unlikely to just pay them off.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2016, 06:42:33 PM »

If you have a player sitting in on managers interviews then that player will form his own opinions or judgments. What if his choice isn't appointed? Not a great start.

Managers handle the players. It's not for a player to be involved in who the manager should be.

ripleym

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2016, 06:52:07 PM »

Teaching.

Advertising.

My last company consulted senior designers before appointing the leader of their department as if someone is contracted you're unlikely to just pay them off.

That's not a real job though, is it?

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2016, 06:57:15 PM »

At my work, my manager was interviewed by the next boss up. However, after the interviews he came to me and he told me about their pros and cons and wanted my thoughts. We went for the guy who seemed more driven to make changes to a computer system that he previously worked on, and nearly a year later we are more productive as a team.

So possibly speak to Densmore after the interviews and see his thoughts.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2016, 06:58:44 PM »

Let's remember this is footballers we are dealing with, they need to know who is in charge and that is the manager, absolutely buggar all to do with the captain of the playing staff. I wouldn't have been worried about shaking up the dressing room with a new appointment either , in fact It's what it needs. Too many players have become comfortable at the club and probably needed a bloody good shake up. Anyway, that hasn't happened, but this appointment is important. Lets hope we get the right man.
P.S. As much as I appreciate Simon Richmans energy, I can't believe he has got a contract for next year. He just ain't good enough with the ball at his feet for me. The others on contract I have no problem with.

bumble

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2016, 07:02:08 PM »

Let's remember this is footballers we are dealing with, they need to know who is in charge and that is the manager, absolutely buggar all to do with the captain of the playing staff. I wouldn't have been worried about shaking up the dressing room with a new appointment either , in fact It's what it needs. Too many players have become comfortable at the club and probably needed a bloody good shake up. Anyway, that hasn't happened, but this appointment is important. Lets hope we get the right man.
P.S. As much as I appreciate Simon Richmans energy, I can't believe he has got a contract for next year. He just ain't good enough with the ball at his feet for me. The others on contract I have no problem with.

I do feel Simon's energy will be more important next season, as I feel games might not be won by the best football side - look at Telford.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2016, 07:19:30 PM »

He's definitely good enough at least as a squad player

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2016, 07:28:56 PM »

At my work, my manager was interviewed by the next boss up. However, after the interviews he came to me and he told me about their pros and cons and wanted my thoughts. We went for the guy who seemed more driven to make changes to a computer system that he previously worked on, and nearly a year later we are more productive as a team.

So possibly speak to Densmore after the interviews and see his thoughts.
I recently got promoted at work and I had to go to Woking for the interview. I asked my boss why she couldn't do it in Redhill as my work standard is so good that the promotion was a formality. She said it was not fair for her to interview me as her judgement would be viewed as bias, because she already knows that I am a nice guy. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Questions Thread