PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Hillsborough
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hillsborough  (Read 12127 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Hillsborough
« on: April 27, 2016, 08:58:46 AM »

I almost didn't want to post this - the 96 innocent dead should finally be allowed to rest in peace - but...

http://www.forest.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=32146&start=1

Eyewitness accounts from a number of Forest fans who were there on that disastrous day make for some interesting reading.

I have to admit the answer about the fans being fully exonerated fills me with some discomfort, but at this stage, for the sake of the families of those who lost their lives (and the taxpayers' millions), any other answer would have been unthinkable.

None of this should detract from the fact that the police cover-up was arguably the biggest scandal we'll likely ever know in football.

#JFT96

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Hillsborough
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 09:13:41 AM »

I almost didn't want to post this - the 96 innocent dead should finally be allowed to rest in peace - but...

http://www.forest.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=32146&start=1

Eyewitness accounts from a number of Forest fans who were there on that disastrous day make for some interesting reading.

I have to admit the answer about the fans being fully exonerated fills me with some discomfort, but at this stage, for the sake of the families of those who lost their lives (and the taxpayers' millions), any other answer would have been unthinkable.

None of this should detract from the fact that the police cover-up was arguably the biggest scandal we'll likely ever know in football.

#JFT96

"Interesting reading"........NO

The same old denial - of course there were a few drunk men without tickets pushing outside the ground at 2 50 - but the simple fact is that SY Police should have planned for it / managed it / controlled it - FULLY to blame

They had no problems with crowds when smashing miners skulls a few years earlier at Orgreave and with the help of their friends  in government get off scott free - planned that one like a military operation!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:19:39 AM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 10:11:15 AM »

I agree with what marplealty has said.
Harold

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 12:36:43 PM »

Hillsborough happened at a time of regularly embarrassing incidents by England fans abroad, possible mandatory ID cards and the demonising of football in general.  English clubs were banned from European competition due to the Heysel disaster. Whilst that stadium was sub-standard and the policing inadequate, the cause of the deaths of 39 fellow football supporters at the European Cup Final of 1985 was the conduct of certain Liverpool fans. This seems to have been forgotten by some, but not by people who were actually there - see this recent article:http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3228

Like most great lies, The Sun's infamous 'The Truth' headline gained traction because at the time it was believable. It was in this climate the authorities thought they could get away with a cover up. It's to the campaigners' immense credit they never gave up.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:19:52 PM by JTH »

Malty G

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 01:26:18 PM »

I am more inclined to believe the verdict of a jury who have listened to 2 years worth of evidence than the idle speculation of a couple of anonymous forum posters.

GB Alty

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 04:44:24 PM »

#JFT96
why have you posted this?

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 04:56:21 PM »

Thought experiment: If you were on that jury and thought that some Liverpool fans did, in some way, contribute to the disaster, would you bother arguing your case? Or would you think its not worth the hassle?
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

bighairedmike

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 05:06:16 PM »

Thought experiment: If you were on that jury and thought that some Liverpool fans did, in some way, contribute to the disaster, would you bother arguing your case? Or would you think its not worth the hassle?

Spot on Jimmy. Nobody in their right mind would argue against it because of the outrage it would cause and everything surrounding that. Exonerating Liverpool fans of ANY blame sits very uncomfortably with me.

JFT35

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 05:35:40 PM »

Why would it sit uncomfortably with you? They assessed all the police claims.

And why the reference to Heysel? A seperate event 4 years earlier.

I'll start a thread in the non Alty section for this btw.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 07:14:19 PM »

That would make another mockery of the British justice system.
Sad that so many people lost their lives and so many families and others connected on that day have suffered for decades.
Fact - this would not have happened if ticketless Liverpool fans had not been there in the first place.
I hope that there is now finally closure on this for everybody's sake.

Jezza

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 07:35:48 PM »

I think from day one the lay person could work out exactly what happened on that sad day.

such a different time but the 27 years has been too long for the authorities to admit their failings...and cover ups..... that has been a disgrace......had they held their hands up immediately there would have been less outrage....no-one should go to a football match and be crushed.

I'm sure there were fans who'd had a few keen to get behind the goal, maybe a few travelled without tickets and couldn't believe their luck to get in for free......that's not mitigation for people dying due to horrendous mistakes before during and after....

I think the lessons were learnt and I can't see another Hillsboro happening again...

the bit I find hard to live with is the people who's errors caused deaths are sitting on a nice pension now never having been held accountable at all.

I also find the silence re heysel very hypocritical and has always detracted sympathy for hillsboro I think ....not for those who died, but for those who lived on and fought for truth and justice.

hopefully now the 96 can rip and their families can move on.

arnald

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 07:59:58 PM »

A few alty fans the next monday had a  collection at Wellington Rd school  after what happened I think one
Was Jimmy we new the papers were bulsh*t that day

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 08:43:25 PM »

The Police lies are the worst thing, they got it very wrong on the day, someone made a massive mistake. Nothing can change what happened that day, I remember it vividly as I was away with mates for the weekend and the issue was much discussed that night in the pub. There was thing about scousers being this and that but we are all people and such blanket condemnation is crap. Football was in a state back then, but public order is and was a Police matter. Any club you could name back then had fans who given the chance would have gone in for free. Would that be different today I ask? Justice is now partially done.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

arnald

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 09:14:12 PM »

You  need to jail the Sheffield police comander
And the sun newspaper editor job done .
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Hillsborough