PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Swan Song?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Swan Song?  (Read 11231 times)

Malty G

Swan Song?
« on: April 28, 2016, 09:10:56 AM »

Tolson said he took Damian off against Welling so the fans could show their appreciation for the 120 (?) goals he has scored for the club. The ovation was , by and large, underwhelming probably because we had no prior notice of the reasons for his substitution. Are we to infer that Saturday will be Damian's last game for Alty? We have announced that four players are under contract for next season, but is anyone else definitely leaving?

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Swan Song?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:20:36 AM »

Really hope he stays

bumble

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 10:05:06 AM »

Tolson said he took Damian off against Welling so the fans could show their appreciation for the 120 (?) goals he has scored for the club. The ovation was , by and large, underwhelming probably because we had no prior notice of the reasons for his substitution. Are we to infer that Saturday will be Damian's last game for Alty? We have announced that four players are under contract for next season, but is anyone else definitely leaving?

This occurred to me as well.

I'd be incredibly disappointed if he re-voked his word and went to another NL club on a free.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 10:35:55 AM »

I'd be incredibly disappointed if he re-voked his word and went to another NL club on a free.
understand your point but lets be honest if i was him and okeefe was getting on before me i would be seriously considering my future . I know he has not been at his best ths season but that must be incredibly frustrating
ParkINson's red and white army

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 10:41:12 AM »

He's kept to his word long enough that I wouldn't begrudge him it. He should be a priority to keep though.

brian1925

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 11:12:01 AM »

He's kept to his word long enough that I wouldn't begrudge him it. He should be a priority to keep though.
[/quote]

I certainly agree with the first part of that. Damian has been loyal and served us brilliantly for years, as well as rejecting numerous opportunities to leave the club. However, with a new manager on the way, with new ideas (and hopefully contacts), and a likely squad overhaul, it is difficult to talk about 'priority' players. Ideally, I'd like him to stay, but it's looking increasingly unlikely.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 11:32:19 AM »

this
ParkINson's red and white army

ShropshireAlty

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 11:34:13 AM »

Where did Tolson say that as I must have missed it?

Personally I'm not too bothered either way as I think Reeves has gone off the boil (and that comes from someone who has a Reeves shirt and used to think like others here about him). He's getting lazy and does not seem to bother going for a ball unless it lands right at his feet. The amount of times I've seen him give up on a perfectly good cross that could have resulted in a goal for us.

A good sort out by a new manager might get him to improve his game, but a decent signing from elsewhere might just help too. I liked the look of Jonny Margetts when he played for us for example. Loads of energy and he went to get the ball and worked for it, like Reevesie should be doing.

brian1925

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 11:48:38 AM »

You'll get slated for that mate, but I can certainly see where you're coming from. Reevesy has always preferred the ball at his feet, but that has served both him and us well in the northern league. My 'priority' player would be Clee, but even that is a bit iffy given the injuries. The trouble is, these players will eat up a large portion of our wage bill, thus limiting options for the new manager. There are lots of questions to be answered.

taxi Phil

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 11:52:29 AM »

I think Reevesy needs a fresh challenge, and something closer to home might suit him. Wouldn't be surprised if he pitched up at Gainsborough for example. I'd be sorry to see him go, but he owes the club nothing now.

ShropshireAlty

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 11:54:50 AM »

I'm sort of expecting that, but at the end of the day it's my take on things and a perfectly valid opinion.

Sometimes (especially in times like this) a big shake up is needed and that includes looking at every player, regardless of the great things they have done for the club over the years. We're here to win games and not carry people who are not contributing enough (although I do appreciate the board's sentiments about looking after people to a certain extent).

As I said though, I'm still undecided on him and would love to see him stay if he ups his game and starts going for balls he's been giving up on recently and above all scoring goals again. Clee being back in the team would also go a long way to helping with this as we've really missed his creative play.

You'll get slated for that mate, but I can certainly see where you're coming from. Reevesy has always preferred the ball at his feet, but that has served both him and us well in the northern league. My 'priority' player would be Clee, but even that is a bit iffy given the injuries. The trouble is, these players will eat up a large portion of our wage bill, thus limiting options for the new manager. There are lots of questions to be answered.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 12:35:21 PM »

I doubt if Paul Farman would call Damian lazy!!

bumble

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 12:49:45 PM »

I think Reevesy needs a fresh challenge, and something closer to home might suit him. Wouldn't be surprised if he pitched up at Gainsborough for example. I'd be sorry to see him go, but he owes the club nothing now.

We've paid him handsomely for god knows how many years.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 04:55:55 PM »

In his post-match interview with John Edwards following last Saturday's Welling United match, as reported on John Laidlar's website:

"Damian Reeves was disappointed to be subbed near the end, but he has scored 120 goals for this club and deserved a round of applause from the supporters all to himself.

I explained that to him. Not only that, it’s a big game next week, and we need Damian Reeves fit and ready to go for that."

** Damian Reeves has scored a total of 158 goals for the Robins.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 05:01:01 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

ShropshireAlty

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 05:04:44 PM »

Thanks, that explains it. I read that but admit I did not read into it like the original poster of this thread did.

In his post-match interview with John Edwards following last Saturday's Welling United match, as reported on John Laidlar's website:

"Damian Reeves was disappointed to be subbed near the end, but he has scored 120 goals for this club and deserved a round of applause from the supporters all to himself.

I explained that to him. Not only that, it’s a big game next week, and we need Damian Reeves fit and ready to go for that."

** Damian Reeves has scored a total of 158 goals for the Robins.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Swan Song?