PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Swan Song?
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Swan Song?  (Read 11277 times)

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Swan Song?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 05:53:38 PM »

Don't be surprised if he goes to Salford. He won't be here next season for sure

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 06:40:50 PM »

salford do tend to raid clubs from the league above so I'd not be suprised
Bernard Taylors barmy army

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 07:43:06 PM »

Really hope he doesn't leave as he'll probably bag 20 plus in the conference North next season.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 08:23:10 PM »

From where I am standing in the stands Damien has gone off the boil but who can blame him? He can score goals but only if he gets the service.

He's not the tallest of guys so he does need to be fed. Ranks has got height and muscle and is expected to win balls but Damien's job is to convert the opportunities.

I think in the conference north it's all about the second ball because of the level of mistakes but in the conference you've got to attack the first ball which we've never been good at and Damien specifically. I think of him as Wright Phillips without connections. He's got skill but not connections.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 08:36:12 PM »

Where did Tolson say that as I must have missed it?

Personally I'm not too bothered either way as I think Reeves has gone off the boil (and that comes from someone who has a Reeves shirt and used to think like others here about him). He's getting lazy and does not seem to bother going for a ball unless it lands right at his feet. The amount of times I've seen him give up on a perfectly good cross that could have resulted in a goal for us.

A good sort out by a new manager might get him to improve his game, but a decent signing from elsewhere might just help too. I liked the look of Jonny Margetts when he played for us for example. Loads of energy and he went to get the ball and worked for it, like Reevesie should be doing.

Whilst Margetts with his pace would get 15-20 conference north goals, if you're talking about laziness I've got to tell reeves can't lay a finger on Margetts! His lack of industry was appalling and a key reason why he was sent back. I don't really want that lazy T**t back thanks.

brian1925

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 09:19:38 PM »

Believe it or not, I never got to see Margetts play for us, but I have seen him play and score for Southport. I think he'd do better than 15-20 goals in Conference North. Any striker worth his salt would thrive with Clee in the team.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 09:41:17 PM »

Margetts will probably be a free agent soon

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 08:48:49 AM »

We should do our utmost to retain Reeves next season - he'd be prolific again at that level, and contrary to what most people think, I don't think clearing the decks is the answer.

Also, as unlikely a scenario as this is, we'd also get away with being able to play Reeves and Rankine up front together at that level too.

If, for whatever reason, Reeves doesn't stay - we should do our utmost to sign Margetts if he becomes available.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 08:59:45 AM »

Totally agree and a reason to sort manager for next season asap
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 09:47:04 AM by Timperley The Best »

Stan Hibbert

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 11:29:32 AM »

There's not a cat in hell's chance he'll be with us next season and to infer that he owes us something because we've paid his wages over a good few years is a very naïve thing to say.

He's been very loyal, when the loyalty has been a 2 way thing, but now that it appears as though he is out of favour then, if I was him, I'd seek a fresh challenge.

Whilst aspiring to be an FL player he made a commitment that he wouldn't go to another NL club. However, in my opinion, gone are his days of clinging to the hope that a league club will come in for him. So, now that his ambitions are more realistic, why not play closer to home for similar money and see out the last few years of his career?

He's got a young family too and that may very well play a big part in his decision making.

He'll be massively missed in the Northern League if he does go and I, for one, hope he doesn't.

brian1925

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2016, 02:02:46 PM »

I'm pretty sure the club will do its best to retain Reeves - they'd be pretty silly not to given his record at Conference North level. The same probably applies to Clee, Leather and others. However, many decisions are dependent on who we appoint as the new manager and that's why it should have been done by now. I'd really like to think that the process has already started and that by the beginning of next week, a new man will be in place, so discussions with present players and potential new ones, so the club knows whether a squad overhaul is necessary (like others on this thread, I'm not sure a complete overhaul is needed).

bumble

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2016, 02:43:31 PM »

I'm pretty sure the club will do its best to retain Reeves - they'd be pretty silly not to given his record at Conference North level. The same probably applies to Clee, Leather and others. However, many decisions are dependent on who we appoint as the new manager and that's why it should have been done by now. I'd really like to think that the process has already started and that by the beginning of next week, a new man will be in place, so discussions with present players and potential new ones, so the club knows whether a squad overhaul is necessary (like others on this thread, I'm not sure a complete overhaul is needed).

It began this week.

brian1925

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2016, 03:17:26 PM »

I heard it was starting on Wednesday just gone, but since nothing had been mentioned on here, I assumed it 'd been moved back to next week.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2016, 05:49:49 PM »

They'll announce nothing until tomorrow's game is out of the way

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2016, 11:05:14 PM »

Very good post & I'm not sure that a complete overhaul is needed either.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Swan Song?