PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 My Two Pennies Worth
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My Two Pennies Worth  (Read 9996 times)

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
My Two Pennies Worth
« on: May 01, 2016, 09:53:35 AM »

I'm not going to go over old ground, as we all know the fundamental reasons why we've gone down, but my thoughts;

I still stand by the turning point of the season being Colchester. On top of the last minute heartache, the extra cash from replay money, and probable FA prize fund for wining, would have been invaluable. As it was, the club as a whole never recovered from it.

The moment I definitely knew we'd go was Halifax, that happens to relegated sides. The 3 games of Halifax, Southport and Kidderminster should had actually brought us 9 points (against 10 men for most of the 2nd half and going1-0 up in the other 2). Instead, due to lack of concentration and sitting too deep, we came away with 2 points. Just that 7 point difference alone would had left us comfortable in 18th.

The issue about not signing players when we had the chance in January. I know we made a few loan signings, arguably too late. As mentioned, the playing budget for this season exceeded last seasons, and with the club in the red, naturally we want to bring ourselves back in to black, so put money aside to clear debts. I don't know if this is the case, but if it is I understand why.

Big changes in personnel and attitude need to be made in summer. As a supporter of 22 years, my enthusiasm for the club has dwindled in these last 5 months, for as much off the pitch as on it.And the worrying thing is know supporters of 50 years, 10 years and 5 years are feeling the same as me. Let's not ruin all the hard work that's been done on the community side of things and bringing more to Moss Lane.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: My Two Pennies Worth
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 10:21:15 AM »

The rot started 4 games from end of last season. We just turned up. This carried on to pre-season and never changed.

The Griffiths signing, the overall poor summer signings, the mis-managment of Clee and Denmores' injuries, the fact Griffin and Rankine are bigger and less mobile than they were in August,the fact we've played hoof ball for the majority of the season and the Tolson appointment, all have contributed to where we are.

The club on whole is doing well (junior, ladies teams, attendances and the CSH), unfortunately the flag bearing 1st team is a shambles.

I saw 11 broken footballers yesterday, no amount of physco babble can fix that team. A mass rebuild is required from Manger down.whoever gets the job has massive task. It's imperative we get the right man. As much as I want a quick appointment it has to be the right man. No name stands out as the ideal manager.

Full time and proud of it

bumble

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 11:14:27 AM »

The rot started 4 games from end of last season. We just turned up. This carried on to pre-season and never changed.

The Griffiths signing, the overall poor summer signings, the mis-managment of Clee and Denmores' injuries, the fact Griffin and Rankine are bigger and less mobile than they were in August,the fact we've played hoof ball for the majority of the season and the Tolson appointment, all have contributed to where we are.

The club on whole is doing well (junior, ladies teams, attendances and the CSH), unfortunately the flag bearing 1st team is a shambles.

I saw 11 broken footballers yesterday, no amount of physco babble can fix that team. A mass rebuild is required from Manger down.whoever gets the job has massive task. It's imperative we get the right man. As much as I want a quick appointment it has to be the right man. No name stands out as the ideal manager.

But personal opinions aside. We had an improvement year on year for 4 out the 5 years under sinnott and I'd never heard of him.

So it doesn't worry me that no manager jumps out.

I agree imperative we find the right manager

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 11:20:25 AM »

Jack, an announcement is to be made on Monday - watch this space.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 11:21:36 AM »

The problems were obvious 2 years ago when we got promoted by the skin of our teeth. We needed 6 quality players to stand a chance of surviving in the National League. This was not done and we survived thanks to few postponements and few long term injuries. This season we were not so fortunate in that area. Maybe we didn't have the money available to get the types needed or a manager capable of doing so. There would have been uproar on this forum had we sacked Lee 2 years ago.

This season turned sour at FGR on a pitch that became unplayable. Havern got needlessly sent off and missed the Colchester game. Before the Colchester game one of their elderly fans said to me "You will win today as we are awful". My response was "I don't think so as we have 4 of our back 5 missing". We should never have lost that match, which we did thanks to 3 poor defensive errors - just like the ones yesterday. At Colchester if we had just had one of our Centre backs, Havern, Mash or Holness (signed 2 months later) we would have won. The momentum of being in the 3rd or 4th round of the FA Cup would have helped us get the points needed to survive, plus the extra cash. Instead we never caught up by winning games rescheduled due to bad weather, particularly home games against the likes of Chester and Guiseley.

So we start again. Firstly with quickly finding a good manager capable of taking a team out of the depths of Conference North to the top of the Conf National - like Braintree. We all know that we need a new team. However to expect this to be done without adequate finances is living on hope and prayer.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 11:45:21 AM »

Totally agree that the FRG game has killed us

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 12:03:08 PM »

Hope we get a manager who can get it into the players heads not to give the ball away so cheaply......sinnott and tolson didn't manage this in 3 years.....I think a monkley could have got alty promoted sooner and as champions than sinnott did...look at the players we had, best keeper, best striker, walshaw, watmore, clee......I think we underperformed year on year!!

brian1925

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 12:09:11 PM »

I'd like to see someone like Gary Jones of Southport. Is Danny Higginbotham still busy with media work?

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 12:17:38 PM »

Whilst not wanting to back over old ground,  I also thought we  underperformed the season we came up.

Got up despite,  rather than because of Sinnott and Tolson

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 12:18:59 PM »

I'd like to see someone like Gary Jones of Southport. Is Danny Higginbotham still busy with media work?
danny is with sky now and very busy i believe
ParkINson's red and white army

brian1925

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 12:21:36 PM »

I had a feeling he was. I've got a feeling it'll be Burr (which is great obviously), but would love to get a player manager like Jones who can fill that very vacant space in midfield.

old alty fan

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 12:29:15 PM »

Unfortunately the club has not learnt its lessons from when we last relegated,This season has been a Total shambles from start to finish,no matter what excuses you want to use,weather it was the pitch,the injuries ETC ETC

The sad truth is we have just not been good enough,lets make no bones about it a quick return to the National is by no means a given.

New maager required Urgently,and also players who will be proud to wear the Altrincham shirt required in abudance.For me a year of regrouping in the National North,before a POSSIBLE push for promotion the following year.

On a final note US the Supporters have been top notch(probably the best supporters in the league)

Maybe i have been a bit Harsh,but once again i find my Club back in the league were i do not want to see them

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 01:58:56 PM »

danny is with sky now and very busy i believe

I asked him on Twitter yesterday (Higginbotham) if he had applied for the job. His reply 'no mate', so think we can rule him out.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 02:04:27 PM »

Liam Watson ?

GB Alty

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 02:08:41 PM »

Liam Watson ?
haven't we already ruled him out?