PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Goalkeeper needed ASAP
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Goalkeeper needed ASAP  (Read 24122 times)

brinners

Re: Goalkeeper needed ASAP
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2016, 10:09:01 PM »

Having two young keepers vying for one position could yet prove to be a bit of a masterstroke. In fact, the same could be said for a number of positions (Cyrus and Heathcote at cb, Cain and Charlton at lb etc). In that regard, I think this manager knows exactly what he is doing.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2016, 12:51:08 AM »

Drench is now at Halifax. Deasy at Guiseley, get over it ::)

Both are better keepers that what we currently have.

You've not even seen one of them play yet!

I'll guarantee you he's not as good as Stephen Drench.

My guess is the manager has made his decisions based on building a capable squad and balancing budgets - the more high earners in the squad : the smaller the squad or a significant amount of the remaining squad who are not up to it

If you then lose some high earners due to injury, where does that leave the team ? It leaves us with youth team players and George Bowerman on the bench when trying to compete in Conf National

We have more players this season and more options and I think more cover, but yes this has probably been achieved by giving two young keepers a chance (in addition to several outfield players) and it may be a masterstroke or NY may regret it. It has been said before that Deasy is injured and there are doubts about his ongoing availability

Time will tell

Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

taxi Phil

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2016, 09:19:28 AM »

As long as whichever of them plays doesn't make a howler like the one Aberdeen's keeper made in the 93rd minute in Slovenia last night to put his club out of the Europa League.....you can see it on the Sky Soccer app.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2016, 09:52:36 AM »

How old was Stuart Coburn when we signed him?
Come on Alty!

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2016, 12:00:38 PM »

I'm not sure but he wasn't signed to play in the 1st team straight away and only made a handful of appearances as reserve keeper until several games into the following season when he took the gloves permanently from Andy Dibble.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:07:32 PM by Blind Bat »

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2016, 12:01:49 PM »

As long as whichever of them plays doesn't make a howler like the one Aberdeen's keeper made in the 93rd minute in Slovenia last night to put his club out of the Europa League.....you can see it on the Sky Soccer app.

It hit a very nasty bobble tbf,I've seen worse goalkeeping howlers.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2016, 12:18:47 PM »

he wasn't signed to play in the 1st team straight away and only made a handful of appearances as reserve keeper until several games into the following season when he took the gloves permanently from Andy Dibble.

That's largely irrelevant as he was still proven to be (more than) good enough when his opportunity did come.

I'm not saying it doesn't represent a gamble of some degree bringing in relatively inexperienced keepers, but that criterion alone doesn't necessarily mean that they are automatically of an inferior standard.
Come on Alty!

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2016, 12:57:32 PM »

It's relevant because he'd been at the club a while and the management team knew he was good enough to trust in the 1st team,he'd also cut his teeth at a lower level. These 2 lads are very inexperienced and it just seems like a huge gamble. Hope it proves to be a gamble worth taking.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2016, 01:30:23 PM »

It's relevant because he'd been at the club a while and the management team knew he was good enough to trust in the 1st team,he'd also cut his teeth at a lower level. These 2 lads are very inexperienced and it just seems like a huge gamble. Hope it proves to be a gamble worth taking.

Maybe NY feels he's seen enough of them already that he feels happy enough to go ahead with them at the moment? It's hard to say, but I can understand why people would see it as a gamble, even though it's currently unknown.

I do basically agree with your sentiment that we all hope it will be a successful decision to proceed in this way. I suppose there are always compromises to be made at a club like ours if we want to run with a larger squad than we've been used to in previous years? Whether or not the management have got it right at this stage only time will tell, but I hope they are given time to get things right as I do like Neil Young's philosophy regarding hard work and his apparent dedication to the task. His knowledge of the game and players at this level really come across in the interviews I've read to date and he seems to fit the club well.
Come on Alty!

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »

I agree with you about NY. I hope people don't get on his back if we don't make the play offs because it's a massive rebuilding job and it's going to take time.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2016, 02:47:50 PM »

I've just got a massive Nick Stephens scar imprinted on my memory that's all...

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2016, 03:58:34 PM »

Thanks for the reminder!   :o

:)
Come on Alty!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2016, 06:03:08 PM »

From an article I wrote for that 14th March 2015 souvenir issue of the Robins Review which honoured Stuart Coburn:

"After accumulating a total of 178 appearances for the Shawe View club, the then 21-year-old Stuart departed from Trafford in February 1998 in order to sign for the Robins."

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2016, 06:07:56 PM »

Nick Stephens: three appearances for Alty, during which he conceded a total of 12 goals.

Possibly some sort of record.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2016, 06:59:57 PM »

From an article I wrote for that 14th March 2015 souvenir issue of the Robins Review which honoured Stuart Coburn:

"After accumulating a total of 178 appearances for the Shawe View club, the then 21-year-old Stuart departed from Trafford in February 1998 in order to sign for the Robins."

Thanks Cult! :)
Come on Alty!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Goalkeeper needed ASAP